Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Dwf Composer open Dwg Files?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
toughty
454 Views, 8 Replies

If it open Dwg files, Can it plot to Dwf ?

Have Dwf Composer plotting module?

I am very curious....

plz answer me...

Have a good day ..
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: toughty

No you need to open the DWG's in DWG Viewer or AutoCAD. Mark "toughty" wrote in message news:8373291.1086951273191.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Can Dwf Composer open Dwg Files? > > If it open Dwg files, Can it plot to Dwf ? > > Have Dwf Composer plotting module? > > I am very curious.... > > plz answer me... > > Have a good day ..
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I would like to point out the DWG viewer comes with Composer. Ben "Mark Douglas" wrote in message news:40c9cc30$1_2@newsprd01... > No you need to open the DWG's in DWG Viewer or AutoCAD. > > Mark > > "toughty" wrote in message > news:8373291.1086951273191.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Can Dwf Composer open Dwg Files? > > > > If it open Dwg files, Can it plot to Dwf ? > > > > Have Dwf Composer plotting module? > > > > I am very curious.... > > > > plz answer me... > > > > Have a good day .. > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Using the DWG Viewer that comes with Composer, you can view a DWG. This viewer views even the latest DWG format. Using this DWG Viewer, you can generate a DWF. Once you have the DWF, you could view that using DWF Composer. Composer allows you to measure and markup. You could use it to recommend changes for example. Using Composer you could generate a DWF with the recommended changes as markup. The resulting DWF can be read into AutoCAD 2005 alongside with the original DWG, so the recommended changes can be made to the DWG. DWG -> Viewer -> DWF -> Composer -> DWF -> AutoCAD 2005 "toughty" wrote in message news:8373291.1086951273191.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Can Dwf Composer open Dwg Files? > > If it open Dwg files, Can it plot to Dwf ? > > Have Dwf Composer plotting module? > > I am very curious.... > > plz answer me... > > Have a good day ..
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

You got the map right: DWG -> Viewer -> DWF -> Composer -> DWF -> AutoCAD 2005 In my opinion, there is an extra step there. What a hassle! Open the DWG in the DWG Viewer, Plot it out to DWF, Open the DWF in Composer, do your measuring and confirmations, etc., do your markups IF NECESSARY then save it as DWF to import back into the original. A better solution would be to open the DWG in a Viewer/Composer application. Then if there are no markups, there is no extra hassle or file created needlessly. Don't get me wrong, I think that the DWF format is great for sharing files OUTSIDE the company, just a major PITA for inside the company. Al "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:40c9ecbf$1_2@newsprd01... > Using the DWG Viewer that comes with Composer, you can view a DWG. This > viewer views even the latest DWG format. Using this DWG Viewer, you can > generate a DWF. Once you have the DWF, you could view that using DWF > Composer. Composer allows you to measure and markup. You could use it to > recommend changes for example. Using Composer you could generate a DWF with > the recommended changes as markup. The resulting DWF can be read into > AutoCAD 2005 alongside with the original DWG, so the recommended changes can > be made to the DWG. > > DWG -> Viewer -> DWF -> Composer -> DWF -> AutoCAD 2005 > > "toughty" wrote in message > news:8373291.1086951273191.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Can Dwf Composer open Dwg Files? > > > > If it open Dwg files, Can it plot to Dwf ? > > > > Have Dwf Composer plotting module? > > > > I am very curious.... > > > > plz answer me... > > > > Have a good day .. > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

The problem with this scenario is that you don't want the pain of generating a DWF for inside-the-company use, yet you want Autodesk to endure the pain of creating and selling a native-DWG-yet-nonAutoCAD-application-for-markup-and-measurement. Perhaps your internal users should just have AutoCAD? Your retort will be that these users need something less expensive, less powerful, and specifically suited to their measurement and markup activities. Oh yeah - you're right - and what's that called? DWF Composer. :-) "Alan Cole" wrote in message news:40d0bad8$1_1@newsprd01... > You got the map right: > DWG -> Viewer -> DWF -> Composer -> DWF -> AutoCAD 2005 > In my opinion, there is an extra step there. What a hassle! Open the DWG > in the DWG Viewer, Plot it out to DWF, Open the DWF in Composer, do your > measuring and confirmations, etc., do your markups IF NECESSARY then save it > as DWF to import back into the original. > A better solution would be to open the DWG in a Viewer/Composer application. > Then if there are no markups, there is no extra hassle or file created > needlessly. > > Don't get me wrong, I think that the DWF format is great for sharing files > OUTSIDE the company, just a major PITA for inside the company. > > Al
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Interesting phrase "endure the pain". I would think that creating and maintaining 2 pieces of software instead of one would be more painful. If Autodesk considers creating and maintaining software painful, they are in the wrong business. They can create and maintain software such as AutoCAD, Inventor, etc. Creating and maintaining a program that can just view these native files should be a snap. Autodesk claims to listen to it's customers and their needs. I'm curious as to which customers requested that they create 2 pieces of software that 1 was capable of handling. I can understand the need and desire for the DWF format, but to disassemble a program like Volo View into 2 separate programs with combined functionality less than that of Volo View, doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. I also understand the DWF Composer is a very new product, and that there will be quite a few improvements to it in the future. Hence my comments on how we would use it here, since I know that Autodesk monitors these forums. They can then consider some needs that might not have been apparent or thought of. I also realize that there are several other companies that currently produce viewers that are capable of combining all the tasks (viewing, markup, DWF creation, etc.) into one program. I just find it curious as to the path Autodesk seems to be going. Al "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:40d0c326$1_1@newsprd01... > The problem with this scenario is that you don't want the pain of generating > a DWF for inside-the-company use, yet you want Autodesk to endure the pain > of creating and selling a > native-DWG-yet-nonAutoCAD-application-for-markup-and-measurement. Perhaps > your internal users should just have AutoCAD? Your retort will be that these > users need something less expensive, less powerful, and specifically suited > to their measurement and markup activities. Oh yeah - you're right - and > what's that called? DWF Composer. :-) > > "Alan Cole" wrote in message > news:40d0bad8$1_1@newsprd01... > > You got the map right: > > DWG -> Viewer -> DWF -> Composer -> DWF -> AutoCAD 2005 > > In my opinion, there is an extra step there. What a hassle! Open the DWG > > in the DWG Viewer, Plot it out to DWF, Open the DWF in Composer, do your > > measuring and confirmations, etc., do your markups IF NECESSARY then save > it > > as DWF to import back into the original. > > A better solution would be to open the DWG in a Viewer/Composer > application. > > Then if there are no markups, there is no extra hassle or file created > > needlessly. > > > > Don't get me wrong, I think that the DWF format is great for sharing files > > OUTSIDE the company, just a major PITA for inside the company. > > > > Al > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Al,

You make some good points about the pain of getting DWG into DWF. This isn't as seamless as it should be. Why did we choose to develop the DWF Composer separately from the DWG Viewer? We are trying to make it easier for customers who don't have CAD experience to be able to do simple activities like view, print, review, markup using design and engineering CAD data.

One path to this is to provide viewers for native files. When Volo View was created, native files at Autodesk included DWG and Inventor files. Today, native files include base AutoCAD DWG's but also DWG's that require object enablers for vertical products like Architectural Desktop, Building Systems, etc. We still have Inventor files. We now also have Revit files. The matrix of supporting native files is growing.

So, another path is to concentrate our efforts around getting all of our Autodesk products to work with DWF as a published file format. We can then concentrate our efforts to make great viewer technology that we can use across all of our products through DWF. We also developed the DWF Writer, which provides the capability for free to publish DWF from any Windows application that can print.

We will continue to work with all of our applications to make it easier to publish DWF. There are some 3rd party solutions out on the market that provide batch and automated publish to DWF. I believe that we need to provide better solutions that make it easier to not only publish to DWF but also synchronize that information with the DWG's.

DWF Viewer and DWF Composer have been built from the ground up specifically to optimize working with the DWF file format. This means that we have a much smaller application that is easier to develop on, distribute, and improve quickly.

DWF Composer provides improvements on markup and review tools over Volo View. Each markup object can be tracked by author, time stamp, and status. Markup objects are easier to make, with more automated ways to create call outs. The markups provide easier ways to navigate from markup to markup. The biggest benefit comes with the roundtripping of the markup information directly back into the AutoCAD 2005 family of products.

The DWG Viewer, based on AutoCAD 2005 technology provides powerful viewing, plotting, and full publishing capabilities. With the DWG Viewer, you can select a folder of DWG's and publish those files into either single sheet DWFs or multi-sheet DWF's.

I hope that some of this information is useful. We do our best to listen. I certainly appreciate getting this kind of direct input.

--Doug
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I am the IT person at a small manufacturing company with 50 PCs, 7 engineers, 5 Inventor seats, 10 AutoCAD LT seats, and 36 VoloView seats. The need to have AutoCAD, Inventor, etc. automatically synchronize their native output and DWF output is a key. Maintaining a parallel set of DWF files automatically so the casual office or shop end user does not have to worry about the differences in function of DWF Composer/Viewer and the respective DWG/DWF formats. I would caution what I expect as the easy solution of integrating that file generation into Vault since that would be throwing yet another required application into the mix. Complexity? Design Applications -- Inventor 9 -- AutoCAD 2005 (various flavors) -- AutoCAD LT 2005 Viewing/Publishing/Markup Applications -- DWF Composer 1 (supports DWF, DWG via DWG Viewer, Raster) -- VoloView 3 (supports native DWG + enablers, DWF, Inventor 8 with plug-in, Raster) Free Viewers/Writers -- DWF Viewer 5 (supports DWF) -- Inventor View 1 (supports native Inventor 9) -- DWF Writer (for non-Autodesk apps) Paul Harrison EMT International, Inc. Green Bay, WI 54302 920-468-5475 There's no place like 127.0.0.1 "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:308548.1087570849603.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Al, > > You make some good points about the pain of getting DWG into DWF. This > isn't as seamless as it should be. Why did we choose to develop the DWF > Composer separately from the DWG Viewer? We are trying to make it easier > for customers who don't have CAD experience to be able to do simple > activities like view, print, review, markup using design and engineering > CAD data. > > One path to this is to provide viewers for native files. When Volo View > was created, native files at Autodesk included DWG and Inventor files. > Today, native files include base AutoCAD DWG's but also DWG's that require > object enablers for vertical products like Architectural Desktop, Building > Systems, etc. We still have Inventor files. We now also have Revit > files. The matrix of supporting native files is growing. > > So, another path is to concentrate our efforts around getting all of our > Autodesk products to work with DWF as a published file format. We can > then concentrate our efforts to make great viewer technology that we can > use across all of our products through DWF. We also developed the DWF > Writer, which provides the capability for free to publish DWF from any > Windows application that can print. > > We will continue to work with all of our applications to make it easier to > publish DWF. There are some 3rd party solutions out on the market that > provide batch and automated publish to DWF. I believe that we need to > provide better solutions that make it easier to not only publish to DWF > but also synchronize that information with the DWG's. > > DWF Viewer and DWF Composer have been built from the ground up > specifically to optimize working with the DWF file format. This means that > we have a much smaller application that is easier to develop on, > distribute, and improve quickly. > > DWF Composer provides improvements on markup and review tools over Volo > View. Each markup object can be tracked by author, time stamp, and > status. Markup objects are easier to make, with more automated ways to > create call outs. The markups provide easier ways to navigate from markup > to markup. The biggest benefit comes with the roundtripping of the > markup information directly back into the AutoCAD 2005 family of products. > > The DWG Viewer, based on AutoCAD 2005 technology provides powerful > viewing, plotting, and full publishing capabilities. With the DWG Viewer, > you can select a folder of DWG's and publish those files into either > single sheet DWFs or multi-sheet DWF's. > > I hope that some of this information is useful. We do our best to listen. > I certainly appreciate getting this kind of direct input. > > --Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report