Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueBeam Revu Vs Autodesk Design Review

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
romanthompson
9806 Views, 11 Replies

BlueBeam Revu Vs Autodesk Design Review

I am a Graduate student trying to reaserch the differences in Bluebeam vs. Autodesk Design review, preference and practicality. I would love for people to share bits of information on software performance as well as personal preference. Personally I find Autodesk more comfortable because of engineering experience with it, but I am lacking extensive experience with both, And am very interested in hearing users opinions.

I understand people mostly have preferences particularly based on familiarity with which software they are accustomed to, as well as noticing differences in behavior of the software regarding what they are trying to achieve with it.My experience working with contractors as well as reading forums leads me to believe people outside of the Engineering community with little experience in Autodesk products, tend to be more comfortable with blue beam.

It would be extremely helpful to me to hear people’s initial thoughts on the subject.

Any help with recommending additional resources or literature for information would be very appreciated. 

Feel Free to send personal messages as well.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: romanthompson

Apples and Oranges comparison.
Bluebeam handles PDFs.
ADR is about DWFs.

You chosen software really depends on which file format you want to markup.

So back to you, which format file does your community prefer to markup? There is your answer.
Message 3 of 12
romanthompson
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for the reply, i would like anyone to respond with any comments.

To address the previous answer, That is a great starting point,  the initial software to choose does depend on the file format you are given. If given a DFW, ADR is by far the best to use, also i am not  aware if that Bluebeam even can open DFWs.

But to get to the preferences, personally i am not a fan of Bluebeam, so even when given PDFs (Blueprints, not just files), I will still use ADR to open and view files, mostly because i am comfertable with the software and can navigate it quickly. 

So it dosnt always depend on file format. Given a PDF blueprint you can still go with ADR if that is your preference.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Don't get hung up too much on specific software: I'm not a fan of Bluebeam for markup but since there are dozens of better markup software for PDF ther are millions more fans of PDF than there are DWF. Some are even free to use. Your recipients are most likely already running a PDF viewer and even a PDF markup software.

You think their IT will let them download ADR just because you want to send them a DWF? You think they will download and install ADR just to markup a PDF?

There is only one free DWF markup tool: it's not been renewed for 2014 (the 2013 still works) and is apparently headed to be a 'cloud' service at some unknown interval in the future. It's a good format with a very short life IMHO.

ADR is not a good PDF markup tool: there are way better software to do that.

Switch your research away from bluebeam if that upsets you: but don't lump all PDF markup tools with it.

Enjoy your research experience: sounds like fun if you are willing to dig way deeper than you have so far.
Message 5 of 12

To clarify the direction of my original questioning, I was looking to compare ADR to other similar plan reviewing software, and why people use it vs. use other programs in various situations (I am aware there is no one software for all situations). My first focus was going to be on the different markup softwares

Bluebeam was my original choice for first comparison with ADR because it is the next commonly used program that I have seen co-workers and others in the profession use.

A close friend of mine who is scheduling for the DFW airport construction has to use bluebeam almost exclusively. Many others that he coordinates with do not have the same engineering background are not familiar with ADR. Also this does have to do with people using DWF files Vs. PDF files at this point in a project. If the plans are all PDF they can be shared with just about anyone and they should be able to open it with something**.

**That would be a discussion point in the paper. In the design process using ADR would be preferable. When later sharing the files with other people in the process using PDFs would be appropriate and other software’s like bluebeam and adobe would be appropriate.

"You think their IT will let them download ADR just because you want to send them a DWF? You think they will download and install ADR just to markup a PDF?"

That is an excellent point. Some people are restricted to using certain software within limits set by their company. Others don’t want to download new software when they have something that would work just as well that they are comfortable with.

Because I am writing for an Engineering  program, I was originally  focusing my research around ADR. I am under the impression that at the moment ADR is the most commonly used DWF reader/markup software at the moment.

My plan was to centralize discussions about plan reading in the engineering/manufacturing/construction using  pros and cons of various software. Comparing what software could be used when and where at varying points in the process by the different people involved.

The reason I have posed on this forum was to hear people thoughts on the software and its uses, but also to hear thoughts on the topic as a whole. If there are other suggestions on how to further mold the direction I am here for discussion.

** I have done a lot of reaserch on the topic, I am not myself wondering how to use the software or when, just looking for differnet peoples viewpoints and comments.... Nothing would be written without consent of the person posting.

Message 6 of 12
pendean

Read this exact post:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/Is-Design-Review-discontinued/m-p/4439327#M1233...

Now decide if your research topic is worth it. Good luck.
Message 7 of 12
romanthompson
in reply to: pendean

Considering  people at this moment are using ADR and i am trying to include the current state of the softwares, yes i will still go on with it. I would most likely have a talking point of where this technology and software is heading. That post enriches the topic as a whole. Just the fact that people feel strongly about their opinions on the software and either think its a bad move to change or are embracing it, proves this is worth talking about further. Why change.. Why will this upset people.. What will the new software give us... what in ADR was lacking that needd to be updated... 

Message 8 of 12
tmullins

Based on the recent announcement that DR will be eventually discontinued our licenses of BlueBeam just shot thru the roof. We have it and have gotten great feedback from our users and will now strongly recommend it's use as THE tool to go to for mark-up and review - internally to our users and externally to our clients since everyone has easy (and free) access to PDFs.

Autodesk just did BlueBeam a huge favor.

Message 9 of 12
pendean
in reply to: tmullins

Exactly my thoughts/sentiments: the OP is on a dead-end research project.
Message 10 of 12
jggerth1

One factor that's being universally ignored, is that PDF is a well known vector for malware, extensivley exploited by bad actors both crimial and state sponsored.  AFAIK, this has not been an issue with DWF or any of the DWF viewers.  Although anything that involves ActiveX is a gaping security hole.....

Message 11 of 12
cadmgr

As an FYI, we have experienced almost zero malware issues with our very robust PDF-rich, professional design and drawing production-centric environment.

We use Bluebeam a lot. For the price, it's a great deal, and the company is a great company, with happy and productive employees. 

In contrast, we find Autodesk products to be overpriced and under-supported, with a variety of unannounced, confusing and time-wasting changes to software offerings.  The normally billable time that was wasted trying to get rid of the latest spurious Autodesk Design Review/Trueview prompt could have bought another Bluebeam seat.

I found out not on the Autodesk web site but in a happenstance forum thread that Design Review appears to have been discontinued. 

Because Autodesk has a de facto monopoly on the commercial building design and construction industries, we are forced to use Autocad every day. 

We use Bluebeam because it works and is reliably supported. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 12 of 12

Hi Team,

We have been using Autodesk Design Review Tool 2013 (13.0.0.82) for Visual Map (Accruent product) printing.

But we have been receiving the message 'DWF viewer is not installed' even though it is installed sometimes.

Sometimes the error goes away if we restart the machine or do an uninstall/reinstall .

AutoDesk error.png

But can you let us know a permanent solution for this ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report