Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARX Object Enablers

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1222 Views, 16 Replies

ARX Object Enablers

I just ran our new DWG Viewer which installs with Composer and it choked on the Rtext plotstamps we use. An info box came up sending me to Autodesk website to get enablers, but none are posted. Aren't they available yet? Has anyone seen them? Thanks, Priscilla Mills
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I just ran into this last night also. Although we don't use Rtext Anymore we use Fields. They work fine. Mark "PrisM" wrote in message news:4099a18f$1_2@newsprd01... > I just ran our new DWG Viewer which installs with Composer and it choked on > the Rtext plotstamps we use. > > An info box came up sending me to Autodesk website to get enablers, but none > are posted. Aren't they available yet? Has anyone seen them? > > Thanks, > Priscilla Mills > >
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

We plan to use fields extensively on all our work in 2005. The drawings our engineer needs to view and plot include archives back to AutoCad 2.5, and we used rtext with diesel enthusiastically from the time that express tool became available. NOT going to go back to thousands of dwgs to change rtext to fields. I'm looking for the Enabler frantically, he has already complained about the "boxes where there is supposed to be information" when he plots older dwgs. Priscilla
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Priscilla,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to pass this along to see what we can determine.

Doug Look, Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Hi All, You can find most object enablers at the following web site address: www.autodesk.com/enablers Priscilla, we are looking into your particular need for the "Rtext" enabler and will let you and the group know what we have found out as soon as we get more information. Regards, Ben Kopf Autodesk Product Design ----------- "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:11327296.1083896834563.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Priscilla, > > Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to pass this along to see what we can determine. > > Doug Look, Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Priscilla,
I've been looking into your Rtext difficulties. Unfortunately, it looks as though DWF Composer isn't able to support Rtext. Also as I understand it, there isn't an OE for Rtext. There are some workarounds that the AutoCAD author can make, but I'm not sure this is a good answer.

Let me know if you'd like me to forward more info about the workaround.

Best regards,

Doug Look, Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks for your time, Doug Specifically, I was inquiring about the DWG viewer. If the workarounds are geared to AutoCAD 2000 format drawings and/or do not involve changing all Rtext to Fields, it would be great to at least know what they are, even if they don't offer a "solution". Making an author change his/her product (especially long after the fact) to accommodate a quick plot is never a good idea. DEFINITE wish list item. Either for native DWF Composer ability or (better for the immediate) for an Object Enabler. Priscilla Mills CAD Mgr, Nute Engineering "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:25644080.1084761850137.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > Hi Priscilla, > I've been looking into your Rtext difficulties. Unfortunately, it looks as though DWF Composer isn't able to support Rtext. Also as I understand it, there isn't an OE for Rtext. There are some workarounds that the AutoCAD author can make, but I'm not sure this is a good answer. > > Let me know if you'd like me to forward more info about the workaround. > > Best regards, > > Doug Look, Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I am confused. A DWF files does not need object enablers. That is the point behind DWF. Ben "PrisM" wrote in message news:40a919f2$1_2@newsprd01... > Thanks for your time, Doug > > Specifically, I was inquiring about the DWG viewer. > > If the workarounds are geared to AutoCAD 2000 format drawings and/or do not > involve changing all Rtext to Fields, it would be great to at least know > what they are, even if they don't offer a "solution". Making an author > change his/her product (especially long after the fact) to accommodate a > quick plot is never a good idea. > > DEFINITE wish list item. Either for native DWF Composer ability or (better > for the immediate) for an Object Enabler. > > Priscilla Mills > > CAD Mgr, Nute Engineering > > "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message > news:25644080.1084761850137.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > > > Hi Priscilla, > > I've been looking into your Rtext difficulties. Unfortunately, it looks > as though DWF Composer isn't able to support Rtext. Also as I understand > it, there isn't an OE for Rtext. There are some workarounds that the > AutoCAD author can make, but I'm not sure this is a good answer. > > > > Let me know if you'd like me to forward more info about the workaround. > > > > Best regards, > > > > Doug Look, Product Manager > > Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

No, a dwf is self-contained as far as interpreted objects, like a plotted paper page. So it isn't the DWF reading portion of the install that needs an Object Enabler, but the DWG reading portion. The DWG Viewer can create a dwf, but cannot read Rtext objects in the drawing file, so the plot or dwf created with DWG Viewer has lost any information contained in the Rtext. Priscilla "Ben Cochran" wrote in message news:40a946a6$1_1@newsprd01... > I am confused. A DWF files does not need object enablers. That is the point > behind DWF. > > Ben > > "PrisM" wrote in message > news:40a919f2$1_2@newsprd01... > > Thanks for your time, Doug > > > > Specifically, I was inquiring about the DWG viewer. > >
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I doubt that the DWG Viewer is meant to be a full fledged replacement for publishing from AutoCAD or from LT. It's one of those take what you get. Any viewer is extremelly hard to support 100% of what AutoCAD can do let alone all of the custom objects out there. Take Volo View which was pretty good but grew to a 95 MB download or something like that. It actually really surprised me that they came out with the DWG Viewer because I thought the whole idea behind Composer and the DWF was to not have to work with the native DWG formats. If you're tying to convert a DWG in Composer you still have all the same hassles meaning you have to have all of the linetype files, ctb files, xrefs, images, and everything else that the drawing references. Meaning you better be on the same machine and hence you probably have AutoCAD so publish to DWF from there. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "PrisM" wrote in message news:40a94911$1_3@newsprd01... > No, a dwf is self-contained as far as interpreted objects, like a plotted > paper page. > > So it isn't the DWF reading portion of the install that needs an Object > Enabler, but the DWG reading portion. > > The DWG Viewer can create a dwf, but cannot read Rtext objects in the > drawing file, so the plot or dwf created with DWG Viewer has lost any > information contained in the Rtext. > > Priscilla > > > "Ben Cochran" wrote in message > news:40a946a6$1_1@newsprd01... > > I am confused. A DWF files does not need object enablers. That is the > point > > behind DWF. > > > > Ben > > > > "PrisM" wrote in message > > news:40a919f2$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Thanks for your time, Doug > > > > > > Specifically, I was inquiring about the DWG viewer. > > > > >
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Priscilla,
Sounds like you're already aware of the workarounds that I found out about. So, it looks like we'll need to add this to our ever expanding wish list. I'll do my best to pass along your thoughts relative to creating an OE.

I wish I had better answers. Thanks for taking the time to engage us in this discussion.

Best regards,

Doug
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Doug, I would be interested if you are going to add the ability to view Rtext in your DWG Viewer. I have been looking for a viewer that will handle Rtext for the last 3 years to no avail. This has been a subject in the express tools newsgroup and the acad newsgroups on and off for at least as long. I have contacted our VAR and they in turn have contacted Autodesk. All the while this request seems to be shrugged of by Autodesk. I believe that there are a great many users who have used Rtext in one form or another, and that there are a whole bunch of drawings with this feature being used (for us its well over a 50,000 drawings, and we're a smaller company, only 2 drafters). While I like the new field feature, and plan on implementing it soon, there is still the issue of all these legacy drawings that would be difficult to update to the new feature. Al "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:11327296.1083896834563.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Priscilla, > > Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to pass this along to see what we can determine. > > Doug Look, Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I think issues like Rtext are exactly what they are going with DWF. If AutoCAD 2005 does not place your Rtext into the DWF generated, then that's a real problem. Let's see what Doug responds with. It will be interesting to see of the DWG viewer that accompanies DWF Composer is a short term utility or remains as part of the product over the years to come. "Alan Cole" wrote in message news:40d0aec1$1_2@newsprd01... > Doug, > > I would be interested if you are going to add the ability to view Rtext in > your DWG Viewer. I have been looking for a viewer that will handle Rtext > for the last 3 years to no avail. This has been a subject in the express > tools newsgroup and the acad newsgroups on and off for at least as long. I > have contacted our VAR and they in turn have contacted Autodesk. All the > while this request seems to be shrugged of by Autodesk. I believe that > there are a great many users who have used Rtext in one form or another, and > that there are a whole bunch of drawings with this feature being used (for > us its well over a 50,000 drawings, and we're a smaller company, only 2 > drafters). While I like the new field feature, and plan on implementing it > soon, there is still the issue of all these legacy drawings that would be > difficult to update to the new feature.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

All I can say is that we'll certainly consider this request. I believe that even AutoCAD LT does not support Rtext. Scott is correct that we're trying to put our efforts around using DWF for viewing and markup solutions. However, we also recognize that DWG files will be out there for a long time.

--Doug
Message 15 of 17
Dennis Mullen

I am trying to open a .dwg with Composer to review it. A "Proxy Information" message box appears saying I need to go to the "Autodesk DWG Viewer Object Enabler Assistant" web page to locate an object enabler (none of the text in the message box can be copied - handy feature), and or make some System setting changes to enable automatic Live Enabler checks. I have searched the Autodesk site for a bunch of sets of these terms and come up with nothing useful, least of all any object enablers. Google got me here. Any idea how I get my money back since tech support and development have obviously not been in touch with each other for way too long?
Message 16 of 17
Dennis Mullen

Oops. I was using the DWG Viewer that came with Composer. A link earlier in this thread got me to an enabler site (which has a bunch of searchable metadata), but if I don't know which of a long list of apps created the object, I can't pick out the one I need. All the likely candidates return a message saying I don't need an enabler as the files are in the native format.
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Dennis,

Would it be possible for you to attach your file? I'll try to get someone from the development team to take a look to see what we can do.

Thanks.

--Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report