Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADR 2012 installation issue collection

155 REPLIES 155
Message 1 of 156
dickyshu
20063 Views, 155 Replies

ADR 2012 installation issue collection

It has come to our attention that a small number Autodesk Design Review users have been having issues with installing the latest version-ADR 2012 from our website.

We post this message in order to collect the installation issue you've encountered, which will help us to track & resolve these problems. You also can refer to some probelm solutions that are same to your case.

Please kindly write information with below items:

1. What is the problem you met about installation?
  2. Your OS platform(WinXP, Vista or 7) (32 or 64bit).
  3. Reproduce steps.
  4. It's better to have a screenshot if convenient.

Thanks,

-Autodesk Design Review Development Team

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

155 REPLIES 155
Message 101 of 156
wcallahan
in reply to: dickyshu

1. What is the problem you met about installation?

After installing or upgrading a workstation with ADR 2012 the user cannot access any website in Internet Explorer 8.

2. Your OS platform(WinXP, Vista or 7) (32 or 64bit).

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

Message 102 of 156
dickyshu
in reply to: wcallahan

Hi,

Could you please uninstall ADR 2012 to make sure your internet access issue is caused by ADR 2012?

Thanks,

-Dicky

Dicky Shu
SQA Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 103 of 156
wcallahan

I'll do that first thing in the AM.

Message 104 of 156
KADeGraff
in reply to: lundbea

Here is a solution for the current AutoDesk Design Review 2012 which tests for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 32-Bit Redistributable Package:

1.  Turn off Microsoft Auto-Updating, if it is currently enabled.
2.  In "Control Panel" "Programs and Features":  Remove "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219".
3.  Download and install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Package (x86)" (Version 10.0.30319.1, 2010/04/12):
   http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5555
4.  Install "AutoDesk Design Review 2012".
5.  In "Control Panel" "Programs and Features":  Remove "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319".
6.  Download and reinstall "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" (Version 10.0.40219.1, 2011/03/03):
   http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328
7.  Turn back on Microsoft Auto-Updating, if it was originally enabled.

Steps 1 and 7 are optional if you want to take the risk, or the auto-update scheduled time is some other time of day.

Original posts of this solution were posted on 2011/06/23 at:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/can-t-install-Autodesk-Design-Review-2011-on-wi...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/Design-Review-2011-won-t-get-past-C-download/m-...

One additional note:  As Microsoft continues to put out new updates to its Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable, step 2 will need to be extended to include all versions greater than 10.0.30319.1 starting with the largest version number and working your way down.

Message 105 of 156
KADeGraff

Note that my previous post for "installation fix" is based on using the .MsI install located at:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10336080

The AutoDeskDesignRevSetup.Exe interactive program will not succeed unless you clean out all of the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Redistributables that it doesn't like.  It also uses the Akamai downloader which can be difficult to impossible to use in a reasonably secure environment, such as decent local and edge firewalls (a standard corporate configuration), etc.

If you already have the Akamai downloader installed on your computer, you should remove it.

Be aware that during its execution Akamai uses about 20 copies of SvcHost.Exe to try to communicate to many different addresses and ports on the Internet even before the first "failure" of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable that it doesn't like.  If you use the Akamai downloader, be sure to use a firewall that catches each of these attempts, and only allow them one-time access (painful but wise).  Otherwise you will have open holes leftover in your firewall that bad people and bad programs can try to use later by hiding behind SvcHost.Exe, which is used as a "garbage bucket" type program for all kinds of good and bad purposes including communications.  Even Windows uses no less than 4 copies and as many as 14 at any given time.

More information about what is really going on with SvcHost.Exe at any given time can be found out by using Microsoft's SysInternals Process Explorer - it's like Task Manager on steroids.

Message 106 of 156
KADeGraff

Bad news all:  Microsoft's latest round of Visual C++ Redistributables has made it so that there is not a downloadable from Microsoft.Com or a Microsoft update available to a downloadable that results in a version of the 2008 x86 redistributable that is compatible with the unmodified installer.

Solution:  Kudos to bincho's post (post #99 on page 10) for a method to repair the .MsI installer.

The .MsI installer needed is available from this url:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10336080

Here is the needed additional information to fix the installer for a fully updated computer as of 2011/08/08:

2005 Version:  Programs and Features = 8.0.61001, Actual = 8.0.50727.6195

2008 Version:  Programs and Features = 9.0.30729.6161, Actual = 9.0.30729.6161

2010 Version:  Programs and Features = 10.0.40219, Actual = 10.0.40219.1

To fix the 2005 check:  Change the GUID of NewSignature111 to {710f4c1c-cc18-4c49-8cbf-51240c89a1a2}

To fix the 2008 check:  Change the GUID of NewSignature15 to {9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}

To fix the 2010 check:  Change the GUID of NewSignature114 to {F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}

Note that I chose to just save the fixes back to the .MsI file for simplicity of deployment.

I saved the original .MsI file elsewhere before making the changes.

I wish that AutoDesk would do these same changes.  It only took me about 30 minutes to research all of the above information, download and install InstEd, and fix the installer.  I expect future installs will only take me at most 5 minutes to gather the needed information and update the .MsI.

An even better improvement yet:  For the 2010 redistributable there is a presence check that doesn't change, as opposed to checking its ever changing uninstaller GUIDs.  A link to this information was provided in bincho's post.

Message 107 of 156
julie.l.cossey

Does anyone know why the link to ADR 2012 doesn't work at all?  I was not able to download at all...says it is unavailable at this time.

Jlesar

Message 108 of 156
techniquef
in reply to: julie.l.cossey

Hi,

Could you help me about "Runtime Error".

Look the print screen

Win 7 pro 32 bit

Intel I5

ATI Radeon HD 4250

Ram 4GO

Thanks

Message 109 of 156
lundbea
in reply to: techniquef

Hi folks,

Look at this post of the ADR 2012 hotfix.  This will resolve some of the issues reported in this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Design-Review/ADR-2012-hotfix-for-uninstall-install-issues-re...

Message 110 of 156
mjs42

Hello,

I have had the following issue installing ADR2012 from the website link.  The install will download 47672KB/47680KB and then stop.  I am running Windows XP Profesional.

I do not get any sort of error.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 111 of 156
wube
in reply to: mjs42

Please uninstall "Akamai NetSession Interface" from control panel and run ADR installer again.

Thanks,

Ben Wu
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 112 of 156
nick.chard

Hi,

I have been trying to install AutoDesk Design Review 2012 on a PC running Windows XP for some time now. I have manually installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86 10.0.30319

However, when I run the MSI, I get the following error:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 redistributable is required to continue with the installation. Please visit Microsoft download site to retrieve the reditributable package.

I have also tried to install using the .exe file, but this also fails almost immediately with:

Installation failed. The following failed to start. Visual Studio 2008 SP1 C++ Runtime (0x2:Failed downloading component)

Ihave tried uninstalling all the Visual C++ packages and reinstalling them, but still get the same errors. Can anyone suggest anything to get this program installed?!

Thanks

Nick

Message 113 of 156
wube
in reply to: nick.chard

Hi,

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable in your machine is too old for Design Review 2012.

Please download the latest one from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

I would like to know why the .exe installer failed. Could you attach the log file to this thread for investigation?

The log file is located at "C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\AutodeskDesignReview2012Logs".

Thank you

Ben Wu
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE-ACRD
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 114 of 156
nick.chard
in reply to: wube

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I removed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17, rebooted, then reinstalled again from the link you provided. The installation is still failing from the msi with the same error message. Add/Remve programs still shows the same version number for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable since the reinstall - maybe I have missed something with the uninstall or download?

I checked the "Local Settings\Temp\AutodeskDesignReview2012Logs" folder, but it was empty. This may be failing because we use a proxy server, but I can access the internet normally on the machine.

Thanks

Nick

Message 115 of 156
nick.chard

I have resolved my issue. I connected to Windows Update, and there were updates for all versions of MS Visual C++. Once they were updated, I was able to install the msi version of the software.

2008 version was x86 9.0.30729.17 and 9.0.30729.6161

2010 version was x86 10.0.30319

Nick

Message 116 of 156
jplachy

While trying to install ADR 2012 on a Win XP professional machine today I got this error.

Message 117 of 156
Tomorrison

Hi, hopefully someone can help - Not exactly an installation issue, but I couldn't find a topic I thought more suitable so here goes....

I've been successfully using various versions of Design Review for a few years now on my 64bit Windows 7 PC. Upgraded to 2012 a couple of months ago and still all working fine, then about 2/3 weeks ago, working fine in the morning, went out to lunch, came back and tried to open an new PDF and nothing happened. The program opened fine, but none of the options on any of the menus do anything. Search the forums an came up with nothing, so I decided to remove and re-install. I could not uninstall the program through add / remove programs (can't remember the error now, but something to do with .net) so I followed instructions to remove the program through the registry, which was successful. Downloaded a new copy of DR2012, ran the installation with no errors and again the program opens, but will no do anything!

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix??

I'm fairly lost without it - please help!

Thanks in advance,

Tom 

Message 118 of 156
cealtman

Dude,

If you know there is an issue then why can't you fix it?  This is crazy.  Why in the world would you write an application that would not be complete in all facets.  Designing the installer to go out to the internet to find different components is not smart.  You want us to be kind.  Guess what this design is sub standard.

Message 119 of 156
cealtman

Why don't you just include the correct versions on your down load site and set the installer up to read the correct files.  That way it may work.  Is that so hard to figure out.

Message 120 of 156
bruce.mcandrew

Hi, I've been unable to install ADR 2012.  I'm running Windows XP SP 3 with administrator priviledges and I've been getting the attached errors.  It seems to be unable to find my network connection, which is active since it's the same connection I'm posting this from.  Based on previous responses in this thread I tried uninstalling the Akamai Netsession Interface and re-running the ADR 2012 installer.  The version of the installer I am running is the combined .exe with dwgviewer as this is what my client had previously.  The installer was downloaded today and re-downloaded once to ensure that it wasn't corrupt after the first or second failed attempt.  The windows installation is a fresh image with minimal additional software included. 

At this point I'm stuck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report