Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADR 2011 splash screen hang

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
adr_userGB
653 Views, 4 Replies

ADR 2011 splash screen hang

When we run ADR 2011, it hangs on the splash screen for 2-3 minutes before eventually opening.

I've tried applying the ADR 2008 AutoUpdate fix, that tells ADR 2008 not to check for updates, with no success.

The machines are on an air-gapped network, with no internet access.

I cant upgrade to a later version, 2011 is the version we have to use.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: adr_userGB

When a software hangs at startup, it's usually an indication it, or Windows, are trying to resolve conflicts created on your system or on your server. Once these issues are resolved, or the search time expires, the software resumes.

Since 2011 is not new, you will have to work with your I.T. team/person to resolve why your Windows session is hanging: start by examining items that may have recently changed on your PC or the server or both.
Message 3 of 5
adr_userGB

I have found the following on Google, but again, it fails to address the problem

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/adr2011_install_guide.htm#PreventUpdate

To prevent checking for updates

By default the application will periodically check for updates and display marketing dialogs. Administrators can now disable that functionality during the install by applying these parameters to the setup.ini file in the [ADR] section in the EXE_PARAM:

• EXE_PARAM=ADR_DONOTSHOWAGAIN=1 ADR_NEXT_INITIAL_CHECK=1 PREFERENCELOCKED=1

The expected result should show the registry settings for HKLM\Software\Autodesk\Design Review\Settings\AutoUpdate as follows:

• DoNotShowAgain=1
  • InitialCheck=1
  • Locked=1

Autodesk Design Review 2011 should not check for updates now and you should not see the marketing dialog box when you first run the application.

Administrators who wish to disable the functionality through the MSI instead can use these parameters:

• ADR_DONOTSHOWAGAIN=1 ADR_NEXT_INITIAL_CHECK=1 PREFERENCELOCKED=1

Users with an account that does not have write permission on HKLM, will not be able to override the preset behavior.

---

Running Sysinternals ProcessMonitor, the application appears to be looking through the registry for TCPIP and IE settings, presumably as it wants to perform an update. How do I prevent it trying to update itself?

Message 4 of 5
pendean

There are detailed requirements/restrictions with the tip, hopefully you followed them.
Sadly, AFAIK the newer versions stopped the behavior better: whether you do it or not I suggest you test a newer variant and confirm. Then present to your teams/management if it does.
Message 5 of 5
adr_userGB

Is 2-3 minutes normal?

How long does the splash screen display for other users before the application starts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report