Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a dwf composer was include in Autocad2002...

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
9573 Views, 26 Replies

a dwf composer was include in Autocad2002...

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Message 3 of 27

Thank you for responding. Does someone need statistics to see if there are more people who use pdf files than dwf ? ;-) It is very well that dwf files can be printed to scale now. I'm happy because it was like a torture for clients to print to scale... I don't understand how to watch a web page created with function "Publish to web" (from Autocad Map 5) that make a web page with dwf files. Do they need other viewers ? It worked well before the last Autodesk DWF Viewer (formally named Autodesk Express Viewer) or with other dwf viewers. Now, those web pages doesn't work on my machine where Autodesk DWF Viewer is installed. It purpose to go to voloview page. So, is it possible to replace or update that "old" Autodesk 2002 function with a lisp or arx (on Autocad 2002) that automatically compose web pages that can be read on a cd from any PC ? (without any internet download if possible, and without needing permission from administrator to install any program ?) Michael
Message 4 of 27

I must say that I was a little disappointed to see that DWF Composer is not a bundled product. I was in a user group meeting a couple nights ago and we had a big discussion regarding DWF vs. PDF. The general consensus was that PDF will most likely remain on top for a few reasons: A) It seems like almost every software package you install these days requires Acrobat Reader and installs it for you. B) It's a required format in many project specifications. C) Even the most CAD illiterate person knows how to use Acrobat Reader. D) You can bundle dwgs, docs, spreadsheets, etc using Acrobat - DWF's only work on drawings. I was also a little disappointed to see the Markup Set Manager included in AutoCAD 2005. It seems a bit of a yank to include this when the thing you need to make it work is extra. Don't get me wrong - I think Composer is a great product and a good concept. I just don't see it making a big dent in the PDF/CAD market. Without being on the inside, my slap-shot marketing concept would be to give away Composer (to subscribers only if you want) and charge twice as much for Voloview.
Message 5 of 27

So now I have to take some of that back - I did not know that the DWF Writer was out. Very nice... "pkirill" wrote in message news:4092540d$1_3@newsprd01... > I must say that I was a little disappointed to see that DWF Composer is not > a bundled product. I was in a user group meeting a couple nights ago and we > had a big discussion regarding DWF vs. PDF. The general consensus was that > PDF will most likely remain on top for a few reasons: A) It seems like > almost every software package you install these days requires Acrobat Reader > and installs it for you. B) It's a required format in many project > specifications. C) Even the most CAD illiterate person knows how to use > Acrobat Reader. D) You can bundle dwgs, docs, spreadsheets, etc using > Acrobat - DWF's only work on drawings. > > I was also a little disappointed to see the Markup Set Manager included in > AutoCAD 2005. It seems a bit of a yank to include this when the thing you > need to make it work is extra. > > Don't get me wrong - I think Composer is a great product and a good concept. > I just don't see it making a big dent in the PDF/CAD market. Without being > on the inside, my slap-shot marketing concept would be to give away Composer > (to subscribers only if you want) and charge twice as much for Voloview. > >
Message 6 of 27

Perhaps someone else can verify this, but I think the publish to web feature has been recently updated to use the Dwf Viewer. Also, the Viewer's help file provides documentation on how to set up a web page using the Viewer. Additionally, the news group autodesk.express.viewer is a good resource for information on Viewing dwf files in web pages. Composer is a superset of the Viewer and so information in the news group is also relevant to Composer. The following html should also help Ben Cochran Autodesk "Michael Goossens" wrote in message news:40923b65_1@newsprd01... > Thank you for responding. > > Does someone need statistics to see if there are more people who use pdf > files than dwf ? ;-) > > It is very well that dwf files can be printed to scale now. I'm happy > because it was like a torture for clients to print to scale... > > I don't understand how to watch a web page created with function "Publish to > web" (from Autocad Map 5) that make a web page with dwf files. Do they need > other viewers ? It worked well before the last Autodesk DWF Viewer (formally > named Autodesk Express Viewer) or with other dwf viewers. > > Now, those web pages doesn't work on my machine where Autodesk DWF Viewer is > installed. It purpose to go to voloview page. > > So, is it possible to replace or update that "old" Autodesk 2002 function > with a lisp or arx (on Autocad 2002) that automatically compose web pages > that can be read on a cd from any PC ? (without any internet download if > possible, and without needing permission from administrator to install any > program ?) > > Michael > > >
Message 7 of 27

I totally agree with pkrill... (except D) point that he has see) and I'm happy that I'm not alone... Mr Ben Cochran, did you really respond to my question below ??? I'll cross-post if you ask me to do that. Question : Is it possible to replace or update that "old" Autodesk 2002 function with a lisp or arx that automatically compose web pages that can be read on a cd from any PC ? (without any internet download if possible, and without needing permission from administrator to install any program ?) Don't say that it is in autocad2004 or 2005, I don't want use them because I think they have nothing really interesting more. I don't want to make manually and set up web pages !... I don't have time for this and I would like be able keeping normal use with 2 years "old" important functions for easy publishing... I have plans with 70 paperviews that make 70 files, and since 2002 it was possible to create an html page with Map5 for easy navigation by everybody. Now, I have to buy a program to do the same. Tomorrow, client will need to buy another program to view these if Autodesk continue like that...
Message 8 of 27

The answer to your question is "yes" it is possible, but you will need to find, build or download this. Another option would be to build and run a script on all your html files that swaps out the old WHIP! object tag and replaces it with the new ADV object tag. Someone in the autodesk.express.viewer news group might have and be willing to share a script with you that does just this. You say that you don't want to upgrade to Autocad 2005 because it does not have anything you find interesting. At the same time you appear to be very interested in DWF and the new DWF features in Autocad 2005. I find this interesting. Ben "Michael Goossens" wrote in message news:40927923$1_2@newsprd01... > I totally agree with pkrill... (except D) point that he has see) and I'm > happy that I'm not alone... > > Mr Ben Cochran, did you really respond to my question below ??? > > I'll cross-post if you ask me to do that. > > Question : > Is it possible to replace or update that "old" Autodesk 2002 function > with a lisp or arx that automatically compose web pages > that can be read on a cd from any PC ? (without any internet download if > possible, and without needing permission from administrator to install any > program ?) > > Don't say that it is in autocad2004 or 2005, I don't want use them because I > think they have nothing really interesting more. > > I don't want to make manually and set up web pages !... I don't have time > for this and I would like be able keeping normal use with 2 years "old" > important functions for easy publishing... > > I have plans with 70 paperviews that make 70 files, and since 2002 it was > possible to create an html page with Map5 for easy navigation by everybody. > Now, I have to buy a program to do the same. > Tomorrow, client will need to buy another program to view these if Autodesk > continue like that... > > >
Message 9 of 27

I don't have 2002 readily available to help you, but from memory, if you look in the help system for publish, you will probably find a reference "to customize publish to web...". This will tell you how to customize the template files used in publish to web. You can add the references, that Ben mentioned above with, some parameters to have ACAD 2002 work with DWF Composer and DWF Viewer. As for your comment about viewing the DWF Files on the client system will have to install either the DWF Viewer or DWF Composer to view the files. "Michael Goossens" wrote in message news:40927923$1_2@newsprd01... > I totally agree with pkrill... (except D) point that he has see) and I'm > happy that I'm not alone... > > Mr Ben Cochran, did you really respond to my question below ??? > > I'll cross-post if you ask me to do that. > > Question : > Is it possible to replace or update that "old" Autodesk 2002 function > with a lisp or arx that automatically compose web pages > that can be read on a cd from any PC ? (without any internet download if > possible, and without needing permission from administrator to install any > program ?) > > Don't say that it is in autocad2004 or 2005, I don't want use them because I > think they have nothing really interesting more. > > I don't want to make manually and set up web pages !... I don't have time > for this and I would like be able keeping normal use with 2 years "old" > important functions for easy publishing... > > I have plans with 70 paperviews that make 70 files, and since 2002 it was > possible to create an html page with Map5 for easy navigation by everybody. > Now, I have to buy a program to do the same. > Tomorrow, client will need to buy another program to view these if Autodesk > continue like that... > > >
Message 10 of 27

Paul, Think positive. My thoughts on your consensus are. A) Yes because that WAS the "one", there was no other to use that worked on everyone's system at the time. B) What else was there to use that was free and easy to use? C) The same can be said with DWF and the Dwf Viewer and Composer can be an easy tool to use it doesn't take any CAD knowledge to use it. D) You already found the DWFWriter :) At one time there were only the Big Three to chose from when we wanted a car, but now look at what happen to them and how many choices we have today. I agree there should be someway for Composer to be available to use for a client with out paying for it. If I'm a developer and have Co. A doing civil design and Co. B doing Arch design why should I have to pay someone else to review their designs? If you are Co. A are you willing to buy me a program to mark up your designs (along with the other 20-30 clients you may have)? MHO is Composer should be embedded on a firms web page to use and markup any drawings (DWF) on the web site and only that web site. Murph "pkirill" wrote in message news:4092540d$1_3@newsprd01... > I must say that I was a little disappointed to see that DWF Composer is not > a bundled product. I was in a user group meeting a couple nights ago and we > had a big discussion regarding DWF vs. PDF. The general consensus was that > PDF will most likely remain on top for a few reasons: A) It seems like > almost every software package you install these days requires Acrobat Reader > and installs it for you. B) It's a required format in many project > specifications. C) Even the most CAD illiterate person knows how to use > Acrobat Reader. D) You can bundle dwgs, docs, spreadsheets, etc using > Acrobat - DWF's only work on drawings. > > I was also a little disappointed to see the Markup Set Manager included in > AutoCAD 2005. It seems a bit of a yank to include this when the thing you > need to make it work is extra. > > Don't get me wrong - I think Composer is a great product and a good concept. > I just don't see it making a big dent in the PDF/CAD market. Without being > on the inside, my slap-shot marketing concept would be to give away Composer > (to subscribers only if you want) and charge twice as much for Voloview. > >
Message 11 of 27

If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you review Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in the process. You would recoup that in FedEx costs alone. I remain astounded by the number of businesses that want software for free. If I am building a house, and I decide to buy everything from Home Depot, e.g. cement, bricks, mortar, wood, nails, wires, fixtures, etc., I'd wind up spending a lot of money at Home Depot. Does that mean Home Depot would just throw in some architectural services for free? I am spending so much money at Home Depot, would you think they could afford to have an architect draft out my home design for me? No way. IMHO there is no way DWF Composer should be free. Value is added through the markup, measurement, and round tripping back into AutoCAD. The fact that someone else already bought AutoCAD (cement, bricks, mortar, ...) is not enough. "James Murphy" wrote in message news:4092f40c_2@newsprd01... > I agree there should be someway for Composer to be available to use for a > client with out paying for it. If I'm a developer and have Co. A doing civil > design and Co. B doing Arch design why should I have to pay someone else to > review their designs? If you are Co. A are you willing to buy me a program > to mark up your designs (along with the other 20-30 clients you may have)? > MHO is Composer should be embedded on a firms web page to use and markup any > drawings (DWF) on the web site and only that web site.
Message 12 of 27

> If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you review > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in the > process. I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for John Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office to be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be used one or twice by John Q. Public. A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. The contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who else. The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the contractors web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that page are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife decide the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. While on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to d/l or install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing the plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the web site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor came to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at the dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the contractor brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and goes on over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my house. Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to make sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed and paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line and make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks or MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the same for the CAD industry. Murph
Message 13 of 27

Cool. I'm getting a mansion on a lake... :-) "James Murphy" wrote in message news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it.... >
Message 14 of 27

This is a nice example, but many times, the pen is left with the customer. The customer feels they are getting a free pen. Actually, the architect purchased the pen from the profits gained by working with the customer. Just my $0.02 Ben "James Murphy" wrote in message news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you > review > > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in > the > > process. > > I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review > someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for John > Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office to > be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying > anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be used > one or twice by John Q. Public. > > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. The > contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who else. > The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the contractors > web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that page > are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife decide > the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. While > on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to d/l or > install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the > contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing the > plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the > comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the web > site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor came > to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at the > dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the contractor > brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and goes on > over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my house. > Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to make > sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. > > A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed and > paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line and > make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks or > MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the same > for the CAD industry. > > Murph > >
Message 15 of 27

If I'm not mistaken, if the architect or contractor had a Buzzsaw account, they could easily add another user (the home owner) to the Buzzsaw project for that building site. For years, as part of their account purchase, Buzzsaw users have been able to use DWF markup tools such as VoloView and now DWF Composer. "James Murphy" wrote in message news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you > review > > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in > the > > process. > > I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review > someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for John > Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office to > be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying > anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be used > one or twice by John Q. Public. > > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. The > contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who else. > The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the contractors > web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that page > are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife decide > the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. While > on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to d/l or > install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the > contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing the > plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the > comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the web > site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor came > to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at the > dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the contractor > brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and goes on > over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my house. > Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to make > sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. > > A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed and > paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line and > make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks or > MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the same > for the CAD industry. > > Murph > >
Message 16 of 27

Also that pen has the name and phone number on it and the architect can turn around and write it off as advertisement. Murph "Ben Cochran" wrote in message news:40967227_1@newsprd01... > This is a nice example, but many times, the pen is left with the customer. > The customer feels they are getting a free pen. Actually, the architect > purchased the pen from the profits gained by working with the customer. > > Just my $0.02 > > Ben > > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you > > review > > > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in > > the > > > process. > > > > I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review > > someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for > John > > Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office to > > be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying > > anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be used > > one or twice by John Q. Public. > > > > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. > The > > contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who > else. > > The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the contractors > > web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that > page > > are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife decide > > the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. While > > on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to d/l > or > > install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the > > contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing the > > plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the > > comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the web > > site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor > came > > to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at > the > > dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the contractor > > brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and goes > on > > over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my > house. > > Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to > make > > sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. > > > > A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed and > > paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line > and > > make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks or > > MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the same > > for the CAD industry. > > > > Murph > > > > > >
Message 17 of 27

I was waiting for someone to bring up Buzzsaw. Same idea but on a smaller scale. What if AutoDesk was to target the small guy by way of the organizations that they may belong to. Most small time home builders will belong to a regional group such as Home Builders of Middle Tennessee. License the product to the organization allowing the builders to use it as part of the membership. But then the big guy that is using Buzzsaw will complain and jump ship. I don't know. But I do know I'm on the DWF/Composer wagon and like it. Murph "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:4096776b$1_3@newsprd01... > If I'm not mistaken, if the architect or contractor had a Buzzsaw account, > they could easily add another user (the home owner) to the Buzzsaw project > for that building site. For years, as part of their account purchase, > Buzzsaw users have been able to use DWF markup tools such as VoloView and > now DWF Composer. > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you > > review > > > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in > > the > > > process. > > > > I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review > > someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for > John > > Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office to > > be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying > > anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be used > > one or twice by John Q. Public. > > > > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. > The > > contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who > else. > > The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the contractors > > web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that > page > > are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife decide > > the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. While > > on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to d/l > or > > install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the > > contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing the > > plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the > > comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the web > > site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor > came > > to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at > the > > dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the contractor > > brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and goes > on > > over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my > house. > > Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to > make > > sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. > > > > A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed and > > paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line > and > > make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks or > > MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the same > > for the CAD industry. > > > > Murph > > > > > >
Message 18 of 27

This level of customization might also be possible with Viewer/Composer. Ben "Murph" wrote in message news:4096854e$1_2@newsprd01... > Also that pen has the name and phone number on it and the architect can turn > around and write it off as advertisement. > > Murph > > "Ben Cochran" wrote in message news:40967227_1@newsprd01... > > This is a nice example, but many times, the pen is left with the customer. > > The customer feels they are getting a free pen. Actually, the architect > > purchased the pen from the profits gained by working with the customer. > > > > Just my $0.02 > > > > Ben > > > > > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > > news:40940ae3$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > > > > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you > > > review > > > > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation > in > > > the > > > > process. > > > > > > I agree in that case, if I'm a company and it's my business to review > > > someone's else work yes they should pay for it. What I'm wanting is for > > John > > > Q Public that hires an architectural firm to design his house or office > to > > > be able to review the dwgs and mark them up as he needs with out buying > > > anything extra. In this case the composer (as it is now) will only be > used > > > one or twice by John Q. Public. > > > > > > A better sample of what I'm want to see is: The Sheppard family has is > > > building a new mansion on the lake, you hired a contractor to build it. > > The > > > contractor works with a arch firm, a landscape firm and who knows who > > else. > > > The floor plan is available for you to see on a web site, the > contractors > > > web site. You open a page that is set up for you and you only. On that > > page > > > are the floor plans and maybe some elevation views. You or the wife > decide > > > the master bath needs to be changed and a door is in the wrong wall. > While > > > on that web page you mark up what changes you want with out having to > d/l > > or > > > install any other programs. Those markup can then be opened by the > > > contractor, the architect and maybe the mechanical firm that is doing > the > > > plumbing. Then they either make the changes and repost them or add the > > > comments as to why they can't be changed. The next time you visit the > web > > > site you see the notes or changes. The same thing as if the contractor > > came > > > to your house with a roll of plans and his red pen. You both sit down at > > the > > > dining room table and you mark up the dwgs with the red pen the > contractor > > > brings with him. When he leaves for the day he takes his red pen and > goes > > on > > > over to the Murphy homestead to allow me to mark up the plans for my > > house. > > > Neither one of us owns the red pen, the contractor does, its his job to > > make > > > sure it works and is available for us to markup our own house plans. > > > > > > A "Composer" that can be licensed and embedded in a webpage. Licensed > and > > > paid for by the website owners. Why can I go to my bank account on line > > and > > > make a car payment and not have to download or own a copy of QuickBooks > or > > > MS Office or any other accounting software? There is a need to do the > same > > > for the CAD industry. > > > > > > Murph > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 19 of 27

I may be wayyyyy off base here, but... It's always been my opinion (for what that's worth) that AutoCAD became the de facto CAD standard because one could install a single copy of AutoCAD on multiple systems (basically, pirate) years ago when you could not do that with Integraph/Microstation. Therefore, people did that - over and over and over... Therefore, more companies used it because it had a lower cost per system. Autodesk basically took over the market with quasi-free software, that they would recoup the cost of later. Simply genius if it's true. -- Doug "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:4093b1d4_1@newsprd01... > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you review > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in the > process. You would recoup that in FedEx costs alone. I remain astounded by > the number of businesses that want software for free. If I am building a > house, and I decide to buy everything from Home Depot, e.g. cement, bricks, > mortar, wood, nails, wires, fixtures, etc., I'd wind up spending a lot of > money at Home Depot. Does that mean Home Depot would just throw in some > architectural services for free? I am spending so much money at Home Depot, > would you think they could afford to have an architect draft out my home > design for me? No way. IMHO there is no way DWF Composer should be free. > Value is added through the markup, measurement, and round tripping back into > AutoCAD. The fact that someone else already bought AutoCAD (cement, bricks, > mortar, ...) is not enough. > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > news:4092f40c_2@newsprd01... > > I agree there should be someway for Composer to be available to use for a > > client with out paying for it. If I'm a developer and have Co. A doing > civil > > design and Co. B doing Arch design why should I have to pay someone else > to > > review their designs? If you are Co. A are you willing to buy me a program > > to mark up your designs (along with the other 20-30 clients you may have)? > > MHO is Composer should be embedded on a firms web page to use and markup > any > > drawings (DWF) on the web site and only that web site. > >
Message 20 of 27

I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this format for our publications. If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do advertise for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf format)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report