Design Differently

New product update is here!

by Board Manager on ‎10-14-2013 02:37 PM - last edited on ‎10-15-2013 07:43 AM by Alumni kat.ingalls

update banner.jpg

Today we've released a major new update (1.8.674). It's jam packed with plenty of new tools, features, and performance enhancements you've been asking for. Check it out:

New features include: 

• Offline mode
  • OBJ and STL mesh import
  • Object Snap to bodies
  • Pull command 
  • Save as STL to Autodesk 3D Print Utility
  • Import SVG 
  • Convert Brep to T-Spline/ Convert mesh to T-Spline
  • 3D Sketch Curve
  • Built in Ray Tracing rendering
  • New tutorials (YouTube and Learning)

To update:

1. If you haven't already, restart Fusion 360. You'll be prompted with an update dialog: 

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 2.59.16 PM.png

2. Click Install to begin the update.
Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 2.59.27 PM.jpg

3. After it is done, Fusion will restart the application. Go into About Fusion 360 and you'll see that you've updated to 1.8.674!
Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 3.03.11 PM.jpg

For a complete list of what's new, click here. More tutorials and learning content are coming soon as well!
Cheers,

keqing.jpgKeqing Song
Fusion 360 Product Manager
@keqingsong
Fusion 360 projects

About the author
What others are saying
by Mentor on ‎10-15-2013 12:47 AM

Hi Keqing Song, I tried out a few of the updates and I like them. Now I can Loft sketches from the Sculpt workspace into TSpline bodies, then using Soft Modification and Edit Form I can finally form a solid (have to patch and stitch together) that I usually have to use Loft on different forms with two rails. We all know how hard it is to use rails to join the different forms. Well done! I have to try Snap, Pull and some other new features. I am sure I will be using lots of them. Hey the Pipe tool is good too, it is very cool and I like it!

Kingson

by *Expert Elite* on ‎10-15-2013 01:25 AM

Hey guys and girl :smileyhappy:

thanks for your hard work - just updated and the new UI looks amazing. Already tried some new features and they're great.

Unfortunately until now i see a huge drop in sketch performance. Still have to try some more stuff but looks like performance didn't get better but worse instead. Maybe it's just me - i'll be back in a few more hours with some more reports.

by Alumni kat.ingalls on ‎10-15-2013 12:05 PM

So glad you guys like it so far! See you both have been very active in our Discussion boards - thanks so much for taking the time to tell us what's working for you and what you'd like to see improved. (Also, our team should be reaching out by the end of this week for the beta we discussed in the last Fusion hangout!)

by Mentor on ‎10-15-2013 10:48 PM

Hi Kat and your team, I updated Fusion360 into four of my computers, One iMac, one AIR, and Two Mac Mini Quad Core I7 at the office.

I had found that the Apple Air was having problem right after the automatic update. Once the program closed I could not open again. I actually had to use Finder- Go to Folder ~/Library/Application Support/ and deleted the whole Autodesk folder and installed again using the Fusion360 Client downloader. Then it is working again. One of my Mac Mini I7 updated automatically but the material library is not working (not because of loading but really not working). The object created has no material but only  visual outlines. I added materials on it. The other Mac Mini was updated using the downloader and I found no problem at all. The problematic Mini subsequently had the program reinstalled using the downloader after I wiped off Autodesk folder from " ~/Library /Application Support/"  folder. Object created has forms again.

So if anyone has problem after updating I would suggest to delete the program from Application (*the uninstaller cannot wipe out the files), then using Finder - go to   ~/Library/Application Support/  then delete the whole Autodesk folder. Then use the downloader to install again. It will be fine then. Do not worry. Your files are in Autodesk360 Cloud computers.

Other than that, I tested most of the new things: Object Snap - that is beautiful I could finally snap surfaces on round solid planes and thickened.   Pull Command - good to form perfectly round ring band. The thing I really like:  1000% complement to your team is

"Loft on sketches at the Sculpt Workspace"... I really love it...

Now i discovered "Offline mode" after Garin told us how it works.... I think that should be spelt out the update list... Now I know what "14 day cache " means... That is beautiful too.

This is a good update, we are getting what we wanted. Not easy stuff of course, needs lots of practicing but "we just have to get it !"

by Mentor on ‎10-16-2013 02:14 AM

Hi after you reinstalled the update by the downloader please select your materials from Material exchange and download them again. My problem before was I could not even connect to the exchange, and the program could not locate the library at all. That is why i wiped off the entire folder and reinstall. Now it is running very well.

by Alumni kat.ingalls on ‎10-16-2013 08:05 AM

Hey Kingson! Looks like everything is running smoothly now? Thanks for sharing your tips for making a smooth transition for anyone else who may be having the same issues. Really thrilled you're liking the new features (I'm particularly happy about offline mode as it just so happens I'm traveling this week!)

by Mentor ‎10-16-2013 09:35 AM - edited ‎10-16-2013 09:37 AM

Oh forgot to say this, if the user has other Autodesk products installed please do not delete the Autodesk folder. The user might delete other none Fusion 360 related files too.

Oh Hi Kat. I just found out about how the offline mode operates from the "Help Board" by a Question that Asko asked. Now like my reply to you, that board is important!

Have a wonderful road show!

by Board Manager on ‎10-16-2013 10:48 AM

Glad to see things are going well. This update includes an update to the material library. This update could take a long time. I think your materials issues may have happened during the materials update. Did you see any notifications titled "Local Material Library Update..."?

Thanks for your feedback!

by Mentor on ‎10-16-2013 04:28 PM

Hi Phil, thanks for the message. The first instant, my Apple Air which had been working well with the last Fusion 360 is not a Material library update issue. It simply refused to open after I closed the program. And as you know trying to install again without deleting the Autodesk folder will be unsuccessful because it will say "You have the latest version".

My other two Mac Minis one updated successfully, and working quite nicely. The other one simple could not locate the material library no matter how long i waited for it to update. When I selected to download selections from Material Exchange it said "Download Failed". After the reinstallation with the downloader it seems to update the library by itself after a while. So it is an updating issue. Maybe something went wrong in my AIR and Mini to start with. Since lots of crashes happened to my computers before but i kind of used to that.

Thanks.

PS I do not have Sim360 or any other Autodesk program installed so i can delete the Autodesk folder for reinstallation.

They are running very smoothly now. All the new features are working nicely.

by Distinguished Contributor bmdesign on ‎10-17-2013 01:09 AM

(the linefeeds issue is still there - seeing much white space)

by Mentor ‎10-17-2013 03:51 AM - edited ‎10-17-2013 03:53 AM

Hi Thanks for Kudos, I think this updating problem can be solved if the Fusion360 team can design a better "unistall" program for Fusion 360. The one there right now cannot do a clean job and chances are the user might still cannot install the update due to "Already has the latest version" or something else. Also the updating program itself should do a better job like cleaning up all of the older crash files, etc... Judging from all the crashes that most users had experienced. These files should be wiped out I guess.

by LuxionKeyShot ‎10-18-2013 09:59 AM - edited ‎10-18-2013 10:00 AM

Good things in Fusion 360 and KeyShot rendering to boot!

Snag the KeyShot plugin for Fusion 360. Available here...

http://keyshot.com/fusion360

and on the Autodesk Fusion 360 App Exchange

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Home/Index

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-12-2013 08:29 AM

How does the new "3D Sketch Curve" work? I cannot figure this out ;(

by Board Manager ‎11-12-2013 09:08 AM - edited ‎11-12-2013 09:10 AM

Hey cekuhnen, to enable 3D sketch Curve, go to Preferences in Fusion 360.

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.06.48 AM.png

Then go to General, and expand it by clicking the arrow next to it to show Fusion 360. Make sure Allow 3D Sketching is checked.

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.06.57 AM.png
Click OK to confirm, and you should be all set!

by Pavel-Sladecek on ‎01-26-2014 06:01 AM

I am a novice in the Fusion 360.  I have now a test version and need to know if it is possible to create from 3D model a 2D drawings when I buy the paid version.

Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.