Constructware Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Constructware Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Constructware topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submittal Register

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1000 Views, 3 Replies

Submittal Register

If you were to create the entire submittal register for the project in Constructware, what would the "best practice" be for doing this?
I know that the items need to be in a package in order to track them but what if the items aren't due for submission yet? Does the package still show up as orange? I read over the article that was attached with the post "Submittal Packages" but I'm still unclear how submittal registers are set up ahead of the submissions.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeffmarsh
in reply to: Anonymous

The easiest way I can think of is to consider:
1. Items
2. Package
3. Tracking

1. The GC creates their submittal register which is traditionally done with a spreadsheet. I click the import button in submittals to download the CW spreadsheet. Fill out the things I want to track (specifically dates, like when Submittal is due from the Subcontract / Submitting Company). Leave the 2 columns for packages blank.
2. Import register in CW.
3. Create a Event Letter in Correspondence that you can send to the Subcontractors / Submitting Company letting them know what is required and when. Some people use the "submittal item detail" making sure the submitting company and submitting company tracking data is checked.
4. Wait for the submittals to come in.
5. Once the submittal comes in from the subcontractor, create a package for those items (or however you want to create the packages, use your own system). Add the items to the package.
6. Click the package then the tracking button. Update the dates for the specific items.
7. Create a transmittal for the package(s) to send to the reviewer. Make sure you put in the "Due" date on Step 1 (maybe step 2). When you put in the due date, it updates the tracking screen and move the BIC to the reviewer.
8. Wait for the reviewers responses. Update the Tracking screen to close out the submittal. Also put the dates when you sent the stamped submittals to the Contractor/Submitting Company. If rejected/revise & resubmitt, click the tracking screen, select the rejected items and click REVISE. Place the items in a new package or in a package revision.

Another hint. I always run a report vs. trying to look at the Submittal log screen (items / packages). I like the "Submittal item detail report" while ckecking the majority of the boxes under Display options. I then make this an Auto Report that runs everyweek the day I have the weekly job meeting.

Hopes this helps and it may not be perfect but I was going off memory.
Jeff Marsh
Technical Product Manager, Construction Business Line
AEC Solutions Group

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

As far as I can remember, unless it changed is that you can't import the register into CW unless there is a package associated with the item. So if the package is attached and the dates due are put in - it will then turn the log to orange meaning that it would need attended to, even if it's not ready for review? it's almost like we want to see them if they need to be attended to only, if there was a 'hide items from view' checkbox to filter the ones that aren't needed yet (besides the obvious filter). With a GC using this system, that's one thing because they're tracking their own information, as an Architect with submittal registers from 5-15 contractors listed - that is a LOT of orange. We still want to see a complete listing of the items that will be coming up to see if they've past due, which we could then just create the items list then package when they're ready to be submitted. Only problem with that, again, can't import unless attached to a package.

Just trying to figure out "real world" scenarios, which differ depending on what field of work you're in, it seems.

We wouldn't tell them what things are due, but we require them to submit to us a register with the dates due to us as generally, the first submittal item.
Message 4 of 4
jeffmarsh

Your note: "As far as I can remember, unless it changed is that you can't import the register into CW unless there is a package associated with the item."
This is correct. But here are 2 ways around it:
1. You can import just the submittal items. You have to leave the following columns blank a) Package No. b) Package Rev. Do not create the packages until the submitting company (Subcontractor in this case) submits it to the GC or in this case to you, the Architect. Once the GC or Architect receives it, then put the items into a package.
2. Create the packages first. Then when using the CW submittal spreadsheet, you can place the package information ( a) Package No. b) Package Rev ) in the spreadsheet along with the Items.

One question I have is this: Are you alone filling in the information in Constructware (non-collaborative) or is the GC logging into CW and filling out the submittal information (collaboratively). I see people doing both.
Jeff Marsh
Technical Product Manager, Construction Business Line
AEC Solutions Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report