Configurator 360 Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Configurator 360 Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Configurator 360 topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to make child unique

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rikard.nilsson
765 Views, 5 Replies

Need to make child unique

Hi,

I wonder if somebody have a nice solution to make a child unique (Sub assembly)?

I have two assemblies that have the exact same parts and the only difference is the parts Origin set by FBP.
As soon as I place the second one they turn into the assembly file.
I understand why becouse I have got this problem in ETO before. I solved it last time by adding a constraint child and changed the value.
But I C360 you can't add constraints.
So how do I make a child unique in C360?

I think I read somewhere that only changing Part Number will not create a unique child.

Regards
Rikard
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I am a little confused, so I need to ask some clarifying questions.

Is this a C360 issue, or do you have the same problem in Inventor ETO?

What do you mean by "place the second one"?

You say you have two assemblies.  Do you actually have two iam files?  If so, they will be unique.  If not, then you don't have two assemblies.

As an aside, that may be entirely misleading, are you aware of the distinction between ivAssemblyDocument, and ivCustomAssemblyDocument?  The latter will make unique instances, but at a cost.

A simple example will go a long way toward helping others understand what is going on here.  Generally speaking, if you can't get what you want in Inventor ETO, then C360 won't be able to do it, either.  So you need to focus on the Inventor side first.

Message 3 of 6

OK.. I try to explain a little bit better..

It's a kind of C360-problem. As I wrote before, I have had this problem in ETO before and I solved it by adding a Constraint-child to my Assembly Document Design. But you can't have constraints-child inC360 and I'm not sure if it would help me this time either..

By "place a second one" I mean hat I have placed a dynamic child and then place one more dynamic child. They are the same if ju just look at the childs except for the placement. But all the child are placed in different places. If you do it like this ETO and C360 wil see them as the IAM-file even if all the parts are located in different Origins.

ivCustomAssemblyDocument did the trick!!

But if I look at ivCustomAssemblyDocument it says in the Help .."This design is now obsolete"..

Is it smart to use that in projects for the future??

/Rikard

Message 4 of 6

I am not aware of a restriction on constraints in C360.  Like I said, if it works in Inventor, it is supposed to work in C360.  We have many customers using constraints, so I suspect there is something you have been told that is much more specific than you are assuming.

I am still not clear on the problem you are having.  I assume you mean by "place" that you are using "Add Child" in Inventor ETO.

The ivCustomAssemblyDocument may now  just be a parameter on ivAssemblyDocument.  But I will check and post back.

Message 5 of 6

Ok..
Maybe I'm just assuming that it's a limitation.
I've been told that then it comes to ETO Server and I just thought that C360 is an ETO Server.

Thanks for checking if I can use something else than Custm.
Message 6 of 6

I found it myself..

Rule SharingBehavior as Name = :Custom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report