Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Surface Behavior

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
299 Views, 10 Replies

Strange Surface Behavior

Hi, I've just begun my journey in Mudbox so forgive me if this is a common question or easily solved problem. Here's what happens...
So I made a separate mesh for both the hair and the base for my model to stand on and as I sculpted I noticed a general dullness about my strokes despite being at a higher sub-division, I didn't pay much attention and moved on to grabbing and pulling. That's when the dullness went away like a layer being erased in the exact shape of my pull stroke (see image)... Please help as it is very annoying to work around this and I want to get the project done sooner than later.

Thanks for reading.
-Chris

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RobinBall6995
in reply to: Anonymous

Not really sure what's going on, but it looks like something to do with the image based light. I'd try turning that off and see what it looks like.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Turning off image-based lighting did not help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Message 4 of 11
RobinBall6995

Perhaps I didn't understand what you're talking about. Could you explain it again? What do you mean by dullness? Are you talking about the lighting or the way the sculpting is working?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RobinBall6995

I'm talking about a lack of sculpted definition (despite being on a higher sub-division) on a singular object that I created separate from my main model. For some reason after I've messed around with it, it acquires this annoying "mask" I don't really notice it though until I use the pull tool to change it's width or whatever. However, in that exact area of the tool's influence it "erases" the strange "mask" and it looks normal. I go to sculpt again and it reverts.
I've been able to replicate this issue on multiple objects, so I don't know if it's some setting that Mudbox has remembered that I perhaps clicked on or what...
Should I not use multiple separate objects in a single sculpt? Is that Mudbox's way of telling me that's too much (5 separate objects)?
Message 6 of 11
RobinBall6995

Oh do you mean that pattern? Have you used a stencil in the scene? It might be one of those.

You can hide stencils with Q I think, although I'm not sure if you can sculpt with them hidden. You can also make them more or less transparent. Check the stencil tab and see if one is enabled.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

No, I mean sculpting in general. It doesn't matter if I've used a stencil or a different stamp. My strokes are just completely dulled-down until I pull the material and it reveals my strokes as they really are... Shall I record a small video to show you what I mean? (I'll check the stencils but I did go through both stencils and stamps and set them to "off" after that last screenshot I took) Thanks for your patience.
Message 8 of 11
RobinBall6995

Yes if you can record a video I'm sure that would help.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Here... It's not much but it shows just what happens when I sculpt. I've been able to duplicate the problem on accident several times. I tried doing it while filming and it didn't work (convenient huh?). Hope this helps.
http://goo.gl/v2igp
Message 10 of 11
RobinBall6995

Yeah that's quite odd. Looks like it's a redraw issue. Possibly something to do with the image based lighting, or the material on the object. Or both. I'd start simple. Get rid of the fancy lights. Take it back to one default directional light (there's a preset that matches the default lighting). And apply a standard mudbox material with no textuers. See what that looks like.

If it still does it with the default light and material setup it's probably a graphics driver issue. So have a look and see if there's a more up to date one.
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Okay thanks. 🙂
I forgot to mention that the "original" mesh never has this issue, it's always any of the meshes that I add on and mess with... And a project I was working on for a week that made me notice the problem randomly cannot be opened. 😕
Anyway, I'll try what you said and go from there, however changing to different materials hasn't changed it in the past. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report