Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange rectangular artifacts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
plettinck
624 Views, 4 Replies

Strange rectangular artifacts

I created the base mesh in maya 2014 -> exported all as an .obj and when I went to paint in mudbox 2014, I encountered these weird rectangles that won't go away and I can't paint on them. I turned on paint on overlapping UV's, still doesn't change anything.
I would really appreciate help. I can't find a solution anywhere.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stumanchu
in reply to: plettinck

It does seem strange....It has the appearnce of that face having a reversed normal....If you created the model in Maya from a standard sphere, there should be no reason that a single face would have a reversed normal and all the rest of the model is OK.  Did you do anything out of the ordinary when you created the model in Maya?  More details needed...oK?

Message 3 of 5
plettinck
in reply to: stumanchu

Was making an eye. I started with a sphere and tweaked it to the shape I wanted and made an eyeball, cornea and pupil. I ran into a lot of problems with sending the sphere to mudbox and had to lower the subdivision axis and height to 15. I guess mudbox can't handle 16 and up? I kept getting errors that there were too many vertexes past 15.
The closest thing I found to the problem, but I've turned on paint on overlapping uv's and it doesn't change anything:
"When painting on mesh with overlapping UVs, rectangular artifacts may appear in the texture. The paint preference "Paint on overlapping UVs" has been added to fix this for most cases."
MDBX-3114

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: plettinck

Nice painting! Is there any other objects in the scene? If the object is reflective, the reflection of a cube perhaps is hitting the iris?

~Jake

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If its a normal issue... Conforming your normals in maya should fix the problem right up. Just under the Poly shelf, Normals, Conform. Or you can manually reverse the face if its facing the wrong way. Just go to Display- Polygons _ FaceNormals to see where its facing and then select the face and under the Polygon shelf, Normals- Reverse.

~ Jake

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report