Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PTEX] Export all paint layers memory leak on complex scene

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
sr0rr3
561 Views, 1 Reply

[PTEX] Export all paint layers memory leak on complex scene

Ptex. So i'd like to get the answer from the developers (non of the users could help me, i guess).

I have a huge painted scene with a lot of objects (they all have the same material), which occupies 39 gigs of ram. So i can't export all the paintings at once. The obvious way to work it out is to split the scene into a number of scenes, right? It would surely help, you might say. No! And my anger grows.

Ok, we have a scene and a folder with the textures, that mudbox saves for the scene, and which has the same name, you know. And that folder is 1.2G. Than we select, say, two objects from that heavy scene and do the "export selection" to the new mud file. ANd what we get there? Right, we have a new file with that two objects and the folder with ... still that 1.2Gigs!!!! And mudbox still occupies that 39 gigs of ram! And when you try to export all or just one of the paint layers, it somehow considers all that textures from deleted objects from the original scene!

Come on gyus! I have 64gigs of ram and 30gigs of swap space. And mudbox gets all of them and crashes, when i try to export all paint layers. And i can't split the scene into smaller pieces! Deleting the unwanted objects from the original scene and resaving it under a new name gives the same result. The way out is to delete material, but when you have one material on a lot of objects, you can't do that. Another way is to do the transfer. But It computes a hell of a time on just one object (ptex related only, i guess). And when you have a huge number of objects... you know what i want to say.

And it's not the texels overresolution. I have a shrinked scene with 3 objects with 2 millions texels each.

Besides all the glitches and a LOT of usability issues, this problem is a no go for a production software.

By the way, when you work with classic UV routine, it's quite neat though 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
RobinBall6995
in reply to: sr0rr3

I've seen this issue with memory not being released when exporting only selected objects before. I'm afraid I don't know how to resolve that.

If it's still happening, and it's reproducible, I'd recommend reporting it as a bug. There's a menu item for that in the help menu.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report