Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple textures on a single mesh?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sbihlmaier
890 Views, 4 Replies

Multiple textures on a single mesh?

Hi, I'm new to Mudbox, and am really hoping it can do what I need it to! I'm trying to fix seams on a single mesh character that has multiple texture maps. (i.e., head, torso, limbs). I'm having issues with doing it in Mudbox, but I think there must be some way to work around this. I know I could probably shrink individual uvs to occupy different quadrants in the 1,1 uv space, and then bring all my maps in to a single larger map to match up. But I'm currently having problems with my uv editor, so that's not working out.

I do have a version of the obj, with each differently materialed uv laid out along the U axis, in separate quadrants (so the face would occupy (1,1), the torso would occupy (2,1), and limbs (3,1). So none of the uv's overlap in this version, which I thought might be the issue. But when I bring in the mesh, the entire mesh shares one material. I've read some references to using naming conventions in a way that might help me around this? (like using the uv coordinates in the name of the texture or something?) But I'm not clear on how that might work.

Anyway, I would SO appreciate any help you could offer! Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paul.kind
in reply to: sbihlmaier

Well, the easy answer is to separate separate them into different objects and export them as a single FBX file Head/Body/Clothes is typical...  This will allow all your uvs to be treated seperately.  Just load them in, add the materials as needed.  Just combine everything that uses the same texture space and separate anything that does not.  You should be good to go.  You can use multi-tile uv's but i avoid it personally.  By separating the elements you get the benefit of being able to subdivide each seperate part individually as well.  Maybe your head needs billions of polys but your body does not.  This makes that easier.

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 5
sbihlmaier
in reply to: paul.kind

Thanks for the reply! I've tried separating the mesh in to separate objects, but my results with seam painting over disntinct object lines has been unpredictable at best. In some areas it works perfectly, in others, I can't quite get the seam to go away, no matter how much I paint over it. Almost like the vertices don't quite line up, even thought I *know* they do (made sure all vertices were welded before breaking the mesh in to pieces. I ended up assuming that getting rid of seams was just something that didn't work across separate meshes, but it sounds now like it should be working?

Message 4 of 5
paul.kind
in reply to: sbihlmaier

Maybe if you provide some snapshots, i can better help you along.  I dont want to guide you wrongly.  Normally you can hide things.  Like, where the neck attaches to the body, generally I would separate the "head" there.  I know the neckline is generally covered by clothes so problems are easily hidden.  If you are looking for a strict head to toe solid mesh you may find other methods better.

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 5
sbihlmaier
in reply to: paul.kind

Thanks for the help! I can't rely on hiding seams, since the client needs it to be 100% seamless (no clothes, will be viewed up close from every angle). BUT, I did finally end up figuring out how to use the _u*_v* naming convention to get this to work (is this what is referred to as using "tiles")? Anyway, I think this method will work great once I get the workflow down, and I'm back to loving Mudbox! Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report