Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ and Common Solutions

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
andrew.c
618 Views, 36 Replies

FAQ and Common Solutions

This thread is a community fed list, recording solutions for common issues and answers to frequently asked questions. Please contribute!

(To ensure usability, his thread will be strictly moderated.)
Please observe the following format when posting in this thread:

Issue or question

Solution or answer (clearly described)

If you wish to further discuss any issues that are posted here, start another thread. Any posts to this thread that do not provide an issue and solution will be removed to make sure the thread remains clean and browse-able for the community.
36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Cool, thanks!

I've got that covered... (8gb of ram and a graphics card with 1gig)
but exactly how many mil polygonsare we talking to hit 17gb?
Message 22 of 37
Snowfern

I have the same problem... I would like to know why I can go through all the forms and registration to download Mudbox and sit in front of my computer for over 6 hours waiting for it to download only to find that I can't register it in Australia... surely somewhere along the line I could have been told.
Message 23 of 37

100 mio of quads.. but its going to be really slow cause the rest of your system wont handle this without hiding some parts...
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: andrew.c

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the resolution is per frame, when Mudbox renders an image sequence in the turntable option. Is it in dpi or ppi? I am assuming it is 72 ppi, but that is just a guess, because that is a typical maya render image.

Here is my issue. I am working on my demo reel and I hate the flat background mudbox renders with, and can't find a way to put a gradient in instead, so I am trying to put it in photoshop. SOOOO I am rendering out each image sequence with a "green screen" background and taking it out n PS, and putting in a background that compliments the texture I am trying to show.

sOOOO if anyone has any other suggestions, that is great! but please if you know how it renders you are the man or WOman!!!
Message 25 of 37

if you save a png file the image should be transparent...
Message 26 of 37
Anonymous

Hey im new to mudbox here and I need some help.

So i created a low poly character in maya(did not unwrap UVs) then I sculpted a lot of detail in mudbox, so I now have a high polygon character with about 2.2million polys(and no UVs)

With that said my goal now is to create a low poly model with topogun then use the normal map of my high poly character and apply it on my low poly character(am i going the right direction so far?)

anyways I wanted to try and extract a normal map from my high poly char but well im having a hard time doing it(do i need to have my UVs done before that??)

also I did a stupid error by importing and exporting from maya and losing my mudbox files so now I only have the highest sub division levels from my high poly!

So what i have so far is a really base mesh of my character that I made from maya

and a really high poly version (both with no UVs)

btw my goal is to make a low poly character for a video game.

So can u guys maybe help me out in pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Message 27 of 37

just bake between your game mesh(uvs) and your highres(no uvs)..
the high needs no uvs only the game mesh...
Message 28 of 37
Anonymous

just bake between your game mesh(uvs) and your highres(no uvs)..
the high needs no uvs only the game mesh...

thanks for the reply oglu! but im still a noob so when you say bake do you mean to extract the normal map?
so I extract the map from the high poly then apply to the low poly right?

well you see im having the hardest time extracting my normal map...it takes forever and never finishes then mudbox crashes...what are the settings you guys usually use?
Message 29 of 37
Christoph_Schaedl

if this happens... mostly your uvs a crap... 😄
open up a new thread and show what you have so far...
Message 30 of 37
denison.17

Brand new to Mudbox. Using OSX 10.6+ Mac Pro Dual Quad Core. 12GB Ram. All set up and program launches.
Issue:
Trying to import a .3ds file using FBX and Mudbox CRASH. Trying to import a .OBJ file and Mudbox CRASH. Tried with multiple .obj's and .3ds'. Is there something else I should be doing? Any help would be appreciated.
Message 31 of 37
leo_someone

I just downloaded mudbox "student" and when i click "setup.exe" then "install" then "i accept and next" even with or without a serial and click next i find that mudbox is already installed when it isn't like in the picture "browse" and "install" buttons aren't usable and my pc have more than the minimum requirements.. any solution for this issue?

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous

I cannot use the mudbox 2012 in my computer,win7,cpu:i7, I have activited it ,but I just can modify the objet once,and then I can do nothing.please help me!!!thank you very much!!
Message 33 of 37
Anonymous

I'm new to the student version of mudbox 2012, but even though I can open and operate the system on my computer, every object I either import or use from the pre-made mudbox examples come up without skin. I'm not sure whether or not I accidentally changed a setting or what, but I would like to have my image covered with a skin so I can actually see what I'm doing when I try to edit. Can someone please tell me what I have to do to fix this?

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous

Projection Problem: triangular "gaps" appear in the projected texture in the areas touched by the borderline of the projection brush, as it moves over the model's surface

Hello,

I'm new to Mudbox, using Mudbox 2012 on Windows 7 Professional. I'm currently using Mudbox for the texturing of a model and I am experiencing this streaking/pixelation effect as my projection brush moves across the model's surface. I didn't have this issue until now while using the exact same model and reference photos, it started occuring while working on this project and now occurs with every image I use for projection, even the ones that didn't do it at first. I may have done something wrong with the Projection Brush attributes although I tried adjusting them and I do not get any change in the appearance of this effect. My screenshot includes the effect across the cheek of the model I'm working on and my Projection Brush settings (the ones that could fit into my screen for the capturing of this screenshot).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 35 of 37
sergimen2001

This forum has no helped me to solve my problems on the generation of seams to extract normal maps in Mudbox 2012 SAP ... 2 jobs lost. Now I think of them as unrecoverable. Now I have more than a month trying to fix this problem caused by SAP Mudbox 2012 and nothing happens.
And unfortunately, I can not try to extract the normal and displacement maps from Mudbox 2010 because I can not open the files in Mud2010.
Are there any service pack for Mudbox 2012 SAP to see if this can possibly fix this bug?
Message 36 of 37
Anonymous

I continue to have this issue occassionally with both the projection and stamp brushes. It also exports to the saved texture, it's not only seen in the viewport, and the seams seem to follow the topology of the model.

Here's an incomplete test texture I tried exporting, the seams seen are the same effect as the one occuring in the viewport, but seen in the exported texture file.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6170/eyetexturelefttestpart.jpg

I asked my teacher about this and he suggested that it might be an issue of graphics card compatibility. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 and incidentally I know that it is causing me some occasional issues with interrupted video playback and font display on Desktop icons, so it might be the reason for this as well.

I haven't updated my graphics card's driver so I don't know if that fixes this issue, my current driver version is 8.662.0.0.
Message 37 of 37
cruz777

update your driver, there's been some improvements and fixes since your version

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report