Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting normal maps generating seams

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2248 Views, 10 Replies

Extracting normal maps generating seams

Hi everyone,

I have been recently running into an issue with maya/mudbox workflow. Currently working on a character model for a class. I have spent some time sculpting the base mesh, then re-exporting the level 0 subdivision mesh from mudbox to maya, and extracting the normal map and applying it in Maya. The problem is that Mudbox is generating a seam on only a certain part of the model (one side of the leg) where the map wraps around. Here is a picture that might illustrate it better, I've highlighted the problem area and the spot in the UVs.

I have tried all the different options when extracting from mudbox, and they all generate that same seam. Any idea on what could be happening? I would appreciate any help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
contact
in reply to: Anonymous

and how does the normal map look? (plz show with UV over it) feels like the fill setting is not correctly configured
3D & Animation Teacher
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MSI X79A-GD65, i7, 32gb RAM, Quadro 2000D, SSD-disks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.linkedin...
Message 3 of 11
sergimen2001

Huumm
I have the same problem that you.
I suspect that happens with the Mudobox 2012 SAP 64Bits....That never happens to me with Mudbox 2010...
It's frustating,because now I can't Fix it.The file nos was saved with Mud 2012 SAP,and now is impossible try to extract the Normal Maps qith Mudbox 2012.
Hundred of Hours working in the sculpting,and painting(and other hundred of previous hours testing the basemesh generated in Max for correct UVs,and for eliminate any Ngon or other issue),
others hundred of Hours try the extraction with all the parameters posible,and nothing happens.
Simply the Normal mas,(and Displace maps too),not are concident 100%,in the seams like you shown in the images.
When I see the map generated,is like Mudbox uses some strange UV coordinates,the Normal maps escape from the UV shells...Looks mi Images for more exactly idea:
This Show the Normal map generated,nad I superposed with photoshop for comparison the UVW Template generated for 3DS MAX.I sure that I am using the same UVs in MAx and Mudbox.
The model in Max that will receive the Normal maps was Turbosmoothed at 2 iteratios only.(I don't need more).
The seams are mos noticeable in Mudbos than MAX,but finally showing the model in test render very near,the the deatils of the seams in the Normal mapping are noticeable.
Other parameter that I tried was the edge bleed,in teh Windows/preferences dialog.But this only fix problems due the painting and work only for seams that can apears like "not painted",in the Max o other render platform...
The second image,shows the normal map seams in Mudbox 2012 SAP 64bits.
And the third image shows any,(there are more) of this seams in 3DS MAX 9 64bits rendered with scanline render.
IfNor anybody knows that happens I will be very thankfull to know the answer.
Greetings:
Sergio Mengual.
Message 4 of 11
sergimen2001

Sorry,here are the images...

Message 5 of 11
sergimen2001

This is incredible!
Nobody can answer our questions?
This is the third time I look for help here and no one answers.
I'm starting to believe that The Area is not the best place on Internet to find support and/or help ...
Message 6 of 11
sergimen2001

It's like I had thought ... Definitely, The Area, is the worst place on the Internet to get some help or support ...
Message 7 of 11
Christoph_Schaedl

i dont know whats causing this problem...
could you upload a part of your mesh..?
----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 8 of 11
sergimen2001

Not necesary Oglu...
This problem happens whith this custom Basemesh,and with Mudbox's Included man base Human Boby, basemesh too...
My Nothing is bad with my basemesh.Y recall you that I probed this for all the posible mistakes:
Overlapping UVWs,(se the image showing the UVWs),Isolated vertices,Overlapped edges,N-gons,and more...In adttion,the UVWs are en one single tile.
My basemesh was tested and is in perfect state.
Is Mudbox 2012 SAP the ´problem.Because the same problem happens with the Basemesh included with Mudbox...
If you dont know the answer at this problem,at least,say me if you have this same problem with Mudbox 2012 SAP...At least the user that start this thread and me,have the same problem with it.
My last test in Mudbox 2012 SAP,was probe the extraction of normals and Displace in the cube mesh provided with Mudbox,in to ways:
1:Subdividing with no Smoothing the UVs option in the Add Subdivision Level Menu.
2: And Subdividing With the Smooth UVs Option On.
In the 2 ways the results was the same:
In the Mudbox viewport, the normal and Displaced maps extracted show seams,like you cann see in the images that I upload.
Rendering the model with this extracted maps in MAX,the result is the same.
Message 9 of 11
sergimen2001

Or,at least,there are some service pack for Mudbox 2012 SAP,that possibly can fix this bug?
I not have problem to return to work with Mudbox 2010...But we are talking about 2 works,2 models, stopped in his final development phase,with an development time about 3 months for every one.And is impossible return to finish the extraction in Mudbox 2010...
Perhaps importing these in OBJ or FBX subdivided and sculpted,for re-import in Mud 2010,and extrat maps to the base mesh.(problematic too).
Message 10 of 11
brian

I'm not the best person to give advise on how Mudbox handles normal maps or other "under the hood" problems, but I can offer a suggestion for how I have addressed this issue. Simply sample the normal map color or clone stamp the color adjacent to the area of the problem and paint over the problem area in the NM channel to eliminate the problem.

When I researched this problem some time back I found consistent discussions about NM's needing cleanup work regardless of the product used, so this may not be a bug, but rather a feature.
Message 11 of 11
sergimen2001

I'm not the best person to give advise on how Mudbox handles normal maps or other "under the hood" problems, but I can offer a suggestion for how I have addressed this issue. Simply sample the normal map color or clone stamp the color adjacent to the area of the problem and paint over the problem area in the NM channel to eliminate the problem.

When I researched this problem some time back I found consistent discussions about NM's needing cleanup work regardless of the product used, so this may not be a bug, but rather a feature.

I've already tried to hand-tweak the map Normal ... But if you look closely the image of UVWs on the normal map, you will notice that the problem is that mysteriously, Mudbox 2012 SAP create the end of the normal map is outside the UV shell ... so if you want to tweak the map from Mudbox painting with the clone tool, as you try, there is a part of the map lost and is that you need to touch up and match the standard map in the area seams ...
At this point I give up. I will install Mudbox 2010 64bit, and export models in OBJ sculpted and subdivided for reimportation in Mud 2010 and extract normal / Displace maps from there ...
Wish me luck ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report