Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Sculpt with brushes on model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
citrus19
442 Views, 5 Replies

Can't Sculpt with brushes on model

Can someone please help me, I am unable to really sculpt on my mesh imported from 3Ds Max. Its roughly 119 cm tall, so the size of it isn't an issue and I have increased the UV map as large as reasonable, still nothing please help.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
citrus19
in reply to: citrus19

So here is an update, it seems to be that if I attach the old mesh to a new mesh than detach it from with in the "Edit poly" menu it fixes the problem, I still have no idea why exactly any ideas guys?
Message 3 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: citrus19

You're doing the fix inside Max? If so, then I would suggest that you have Scaled the object (in Max) at the Object level. This is a big no-no - always scale at a sub-object level, or apply an XForm Modifier and scale its Gizmo then collapse the Stack back to an Editable Mesh (or Poly).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
citrus19
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I'm sorry I'm a bit lost here, what do you mean by Object level and sub-object level. I think you mean increasing and or decreasing the size from within the edit poly section of the modeling process. I'm sure I didn't do that since I scale my reference material before I begin building a mesh.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something that is obvious.
Message 5 of 6
citrus19

I tried to recreate the problem, is there any way you can? Also I used reset Xform and that fixed it as well. So i think I did alter the mesh or i think more so the first plane I started with, thank you for your help.
Message 6 of 6
Steve_Curley

In Max you can select the object itself, or any of its sub-components (vertex/edge/face/poly). Object level is the object itself, sub-object level is one of the sub-components. The issue of Scaling objects (at the object level) causing innumerable problems (both inside and outside Max) is well known and should be avoided at all costs.

The fact that a Reset XForm fixed it pretty much confirms the cause of your problem.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report