Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another projection problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
482 Views, 13 Replies

another projection problem

Hi
I'm still very new to this stuff.
I've modelled a head in 3ds MAX, struggled for days to UV map it,
Its importing into mudbox saying there are t shapes, and non manifold and an interior valance problems, none of which I completely understand, but thought may have been caused by the symmetry modifier in MAX, and I htought i solved once.
I only want to use mudbox to paint a texture map, nothing else.
Mudbox ISN'T complaining about UV tiles, but whenever I try to paint/project a stencil over the mesh, the stencil doesn't show up clearly, its as if I've used a dirty brush.
any ideas what's going on and or how to solve this please.
Steve

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Anonymous

There definitely appears to be some symmetry issues, and probably some UV issues as well. On your Symmetry modifier check to make sure that your weld threshold isn't too high, but just high enough.

In Max throw a STL Check modifier on top of the stack. It will point out problems.

Can you upload the scene or obj of the model? If not, can you give us a screen-grab of the wireframe?
Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Ive put STL check on, I didnt see any change (just checking what it does) heres a wire frame.
The colours seem to come out REALLY dark when I use mudbox aswell, any ideas why is it a gamma problem?
steve

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

sorry I have since changed this, The mudbox screen cap you saw there was made by uv mapping one side of the face and then re using symmetry to uv map the other side, that's why its showing faint lines along down the middle.
I've since uv mapped the head as one piece and the ears as 2 separate pieces (3 in total).
Its not showing the lines now but still insists on NOT projecting the image im using, instead, it looks like I've been painted with chocolate by a toothbrush.
Steve

Message 5 of 14
RobinBall6995

Firstly, make sure you're using the projection brush and that the paint colour is white. It's probably the case that your projection brush is set to a brown colour. The stencil colour is multiplied by the brush colour.

Secondly, you didn't show the UV layout in Max there. Just the geometry. If you've just mapped it from the side you'll get a lot of stretching. You'll need to unfold it better than that to get a good result. Look into the Pelt and Peel UVunwrap tools.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Sorry, now I've looked into STL check its only highlighting the open edges, like the eyes and the neck.
Ive tried to attach a uv screen shot if this helps.
steve

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Sorry
I realised I had the image as a stamp and a stencil, so it was trying to do both, once I switched the stencil off, it looked better.
Steve
Message 8 of 14
RobinBall6995

Although it could do with being relaxed, the UVs for the face look ok. A bit lopsided and uneven, but not an overlapping mess like it might have been.

There's a lot of messy unwelded edges around the back though and overlapping UVs. You get those from cylindrical mapping. You want to get rid of those as the same bit of texture will end up being visible on both polys.
Message 9 of 14
contact
in reply to: RobinBall6995

totally right
3D & Animation Teacher
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MSI X79A-GD65, i7, 32gb RAM, Quadro 2000D, SSD-disks.
http://www.linkedin...
Message 10 of 14
contact

Sorry about that above...posted reply at wrong place.

I'm not a max user but generally try cutting it up a bit more but where it won't be as visable; like behind the ears to the back of the head, and where the hair begins to reside on the sides of the forehead to the back of the head, and cut it up on the sides of the throat up to where the jaw begins. Then relax it and you'll have a great UV-map.
3D & Animation Teacher
MSI X79A-GD65, i7, 32gb RAM, Quadro 2000D, SSD-disks.
http://www.linkedin...
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hi thanks.
I followed a tutorial that said draw a seam across the hairline, and down the back of the head, then cut off the ears
out of interest how can you tell from that picture that there are unwelded verts,

Took 3 goes in mudbox but the result looks a lot better than expected.
covered some major milestones over this weekend.
Thanks everyone, will post screen cap asap
Steve
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

sure its not as good as many on here but I'm happy with it, If anyone can tell what the next step is to make it even better, and more importantly, a good tutorial, that would be great.
so far it only has diffuse.
Steve

Message 13 of 14
RobinBall6995

Hi thanks.
I followed a tutorial that said draw a seam across the hairline, and down the back of the head, then cut off the ears
out of interest how can you tell from that picture that there are unwelded verts,

Took 3 goes in mudbox but the result looks a lot better than expected.
covered some major milestones over this weekend.
Thanks everyone, will post screen cap asap
Steve

Green edges are unwelded. Plus there's a load of diamond shaped quads only attached on one vertex along the right edge, those could do with being attached more cleanly.
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Hi thanks for everything, here's the finished video.
Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report