Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to project while keeping the original color, during using a custom stencil

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RKKKK
689 Views, 6 Replies

A way to project while keeping the original color, during using a custom stencil

Proper color is everything in all for this project, like 50 shades of grey, if not referring to the movie. I can't seem to find a material for the stencil, thus to satisfy my eye, nor do I with changing my material settings...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
paulkind
in reply to: RKKKK

You can import any jpg/png/tga etc into the stencil pallet.  Simply click on stencil tab, then select the little arrow on the left of the panel to import a picture file as stencil.

To make sure the color is exactly what is in the original image, make sure your color setting is set to pure white in the tool pallet for the projection tool.

Hope that helps 😃

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 7
RKKKK
in reply to: paulkind

Thanks for the quick reply, Paul. The problem is not with the projection though, it is the chalk material I'm using: seems a little foggy/blue, and greater detail in the black paint dissapear... I hopely can figure this out myself this time, probably just gonna take another day to scratch my head.

Message 4 of 7
paulkind

Hold up...  your not using the project tool?  Im a little confused. 

In the projection tool 3 things can affect the projection...

1. Opacity (if using a stamp)

2. Opacity ( set with strength)

3. Color (white is exact to original, colors will colorize)

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 7
paulkind

Oh i just thought of something that may cause you some issues.

If the layer you are painting on is a new layer, sometimes using the paint tool, then setting it to white (or any color really) will fix some odd hazing that seems to appear sometimes with default newly created layers.  You may wat to try creating a layer and just filling flooding it with 100% of a color first.  Im not surte this is your problem, but its worth mentioning.

Message 6 of 7
RKKKK
in reply to: paulkind

Ahh, my bad... Im using the projection tool, but I should have used the right term "projecting", if that is what it is. Ty for every comment, the main problem is that I can't get the 100% brightness/contrast using the mudbox lighting. Maybe I can create a custom lighting, I don't know... I'm very happy with the result now fortunately 4 all, i just turned the brightness and contast to max on photoshop, then the final result after the projection was way much clear and in both mentioned feats. I respect your diligence on helping out people, I'm way too new to give anyone that good hints/tips when it's this high level with the fellow modellers. Peace!

Message 7 of 7
RobinBall6995

If you check Flat Lighting from the right click menu it will disable lighting in the Mudbox viewport. That way you only see the colour of the textures with no shading at all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report