Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 41 of 188 (326 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-15-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Don't sell yourself short Jillian.  This thread is perhaps the best example of real engagement that I've ever seen from Autodesk.  You may not be able to solve our problems or answer every question but you're here and responding to us.

We all understand that Autodesk staff are busy and sometimes can't answer messages, but if you ask us to engage with you then we expect a two-way conversation - just like this one.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 42 of 188 (323 Views)

03-15-2012 09:50 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

If you want maximum participation it's going to have to be online IMHO.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 43 of 188 (316 Views)

03-15-2012 09:58 AM in reply to: sboon

SBoon,

Well thank you! I appreciate the kind words! :smileyvery-happy:

It's always amazing how often we overlook the value of a simple two-way conversation. Commerce, marketing, and media these days is so focused around 'Getting out the message', but not listening to what consumers say back. I'm hoping the presence of social media will slowly change that (yep, forums count as social media), but for now I'll just keep trying to make steps in the right direction!

I must admit I'm surprised by how sociable and friendly you all are. My first few years at Autodesk were in Product Support (if you ever called in about Revit, you might have talked to me), so I was accustom to highly technical and aggravated people (that and I come from a family of mechanical engineers). When I moved over to the community side of things, there was this big ugly reputation (from both inside and outside Autodesk) of this being an informative but sometimes hostile territory with no neighborhood feel to it. I've encountered a few unfriendly folks over the past year, but if the rest of the community saw constructive conversations like this, I think they'd change their minds!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 44 of 188 (310 Views)

03-15-2012 10:10 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

We're being nice because you're a girl, just ask Brian/Eric how mean we can be to the boys :smileyhappy:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 45 of 188 (309 Views)

03-15-2012 10:11 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

<<<of this being an informative but sometimes hostile territory with no neighborhood feel to it.>>>

Really? I've never gotten that from the active community here. A few snippy answers especially when the OP thinks they have the right answer and don't want to hear what you have to say but by and large the people who frequent these Forums are as kind as they can be.

Epsecially that they give of their own free time.

And as I have told others I defy you to find anything this active in MS or Adobe, or HP, or... at least I never have.

AU sounds a treat. Might be nice to get out and meet some of these people. Are we really as fun in person as we are online?

Free upgrades to current product of your favorite platform perhaps?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 46 of 188 (324 Views)

03-15-2012 10:12 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian,

We are a pretty good group of peers.  But we've also seen each other helping for years now.  You know you've arrived when another super user recommends your post or tells them to seek you out.  I know I have made my referrals along the way.  I've been fortunate to have had a few good conversations offline with some of the people here.  And others like Dennis Jeffrey will be sorely missed from the community. 

If you're gonna work on the color scheme and titles, then I am sure there are lots of users like Dean that would like to combine his multiple accounts.  I can also speak the same for Franck Hervet who only has a tiny amount of posts on his new registered account, but is a Super User in his own right.  We know where the sources are and we know who to trust.  And if you ever have any question, don't be afraid to ask us.  :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 47 of 188 (321 Views)

03-15-2012 10:15 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

"AU sounds a treat. Might be nice to get out and meet some of these people. Are we really as fun in person as we are online?"

More fun, Charles.  I can't share a beer with you over a forum post.  :smileyvery-happy:

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 48 of 188 (315 Views)

03-15-2012 10:33 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

When I moved over to the community side of things, there was this big ugly reputation (from both inside and outside Autodesk) of this being an informative but sometimes hostile territory with no neighborhood feel to it.

For some (perhaps most) Autodesk people on the forum it's often the case that they're posting bad news, something along the lines of "we can't fix that" or "we're not going to fix that because nobody else is complaining about it".  Posts like that are not going to get many kudos even if they're the correct answer to the problem.  IMHO the other issue is that the Community feels un-engaged by Autodesk, so on the rare occasions when there is a chance to get your attention we feel the need to pile on with every complaint, wishlist item or issue.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 49 of 188 (311 Views)

03-15-2012 10:41 AM in reply to: pendean

Just to build on this thought the other way:

Thomas.I is new to the Forums and I think new to CAD but is very engaging and helpful from what I have seen in the Dynamic Block Forum.

I'm sure we all have posters we have seen in this regard.

Are the metrics able to pick up on someone this early who is offering helpful advice with each contribution?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 50 of 188 (307 Views)

03-15-2012 10:55 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Woah. I step away for 20 minutes and the thread goes crazy!

Pendean - Maybe I'm just nicer than Eric and Brian, so you all feel compelled to be nice back! :smileytongue: Just kidding!

Charles_Shade - I met a bunch of the forum users at AU 2011 and wish I could have spent more time with the group. Definitely more fun in person, and that was just over a luncheon. I'm hoping at AU next year we can perhaps do some formal lunch thing again and then another less formal get together. It's pretty cool to meet all these online personalities in person!

I have some ways of noticing new helpful members, but it would actually be pretty useful if super users could point out the real helpful newbies. Unless they're getting a lot of accepted solutions and kudos, I'm concerned the automated system won't catch them. So, if you see someone that is doing a pretty incredible job, let them know and let me know!

TravisNave - Still trying to figure out the merging account thing. I keep being told it can't automatically be done, so I want to know if there's a manual way. I won't quit the research. Promise! And I'm not shy when it comes to asking questions at all. In fact, I probably tend to ask too many questions!

SBoon - So I need to find some way to get Autodesk (well, smaller parts of it in the form of individuals) engaged on here like I've been doing. I'm also suspecting the super-professional dry post stuff just isn't cutting it. Real conversation is a heck of a lot more interesting and engaging.

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.