Discussion_Admin

Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 172 of 188 (276 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-27-2012 11:16 PM in reply to: vector2

vector2 wrote:

vBulletin is far more popular than a forum like this because that's

more for ameteurs than technical professionals like this one.

Autodesk knows that very well and that's why we have this.

Actually, no. Even if you compare just high-volume professional tech forums, vBulletin is vastly more popular than Lithium. If I had to choose one to label 'amateur', it wouldn't be vBulletin.

As for altering the basic structure of a forum, that's probably

in the program's .exe and you won't do that. Like you might

not be able to move the reply button.

A forum like this isn't run from a .exe. There will be a host of individual files that ultimately determine the format, and it's likely that they are plain text and easy enough to modify. However, each mod like that makes it more difficult to maintain every time the platform is updated. Better to choose a platform that natively supports a wide range of formatting options.

I've been through this kind of thing on my own blog, moving from a manually-modified theme to one that provides for a very configurable system without coding. It looks quite different to other Wordpress blogs, even ones that use the same theme, but I can update to the latest Wordpress version in seconds without having to manually change any code or significantly disrupt users of the site.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 173 of 188 (273 Views)

03-28-2012 12:20 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

"professional tech forums, vBulletin is vastly more popular"

That's what  those guys over at AUGI thought after that ExpressionEngine debacle. (I loved that forum software).

They all wanted to just upgrade to vBulletin 4. I had page after page of

email messages several over the issue.

FINALLY they agreed that the older vBulletin 3.8 could more easily

be configured to look conservative and professional, AND it was already

in place. So that's what they've got right now. But no buttons were moved.

Fortunately Autodesk knows what it's doing when it comes to forum software.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 174 of 188 (252 Views)

03-28-2012 10:45 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Radical idea....

Sometimes we may come across a question we are trying to answer and would like the input of another user that we know is knowledgeable in that area.  Is it possible to "tag" that person in a message, and somehow have then get nudged by that tag... so that they take a look at the thread and possibly resolve the question?  Many is the time I have tried to help someone, only to find myself in over my head... and wishing JD would wander in and save my sarry behind.  :smileyvery-happy:

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 175 of 188 (244 Views)

03-28-2012 12:22 PM in reply to: cbenner

If users are able to "tag" an issue for the attention specific user, then for one it goes against the grain of the open discussion groups, and two, this would likely drive pros such as Travis and Dean insane very quickly. But you do have an idea. What if Mentors had the power to mark a question for the attention of a pro? Or what if a message could be "tagged" by any user, but the pro would only be alerted if no one replies to the post within a day or so?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 176 of 188 (258 Views)

03-28-2012 01:40 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I agree 100% with the option (of other super users) to tag users that might be able to help out.  I know we've all referenced other users in posts, but a tag would certainly alert that super user to the post.  Of all the ideas being thrown around that make me yawn (pop-ups, really?) this one is a great idea. As mentioned above, it could lead to abuse and me throwing myself over a cliff. 

Really, I am more than satisfied with the forums.  I'm still not a big fan of the coloring of the username groups, but overall it is quick, clean, and easy.  Oh and more Macro space still please.  ha!

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 177 of 188 (247 Views)

03-28-2012 01:58 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Sorry Travis, just a day or two ago a sent a LT poster over to Installation with the idea that you would see it and offer assistance.

Please, I do not want to be the catalyst of your early demise!

Like the tagging to who we know has the answer that the OP may not; especially if they are new but does not the SU who knows the answer usually get to it in a day or two anyway?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 178 of 188 (300 Views)

03-28-2012 02:05 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Very true.  I mean, ultimately we are all helping each other and pointing out where others are more able to help.  But I guess we also don't want to create a sense of urgency or pressure that there is an immediate expectation to fix the problem.  This is, afterall, a free peer support forum.  Many of us earn our bread and butter with real support contracts that offer a real person fixing problems in real time. 

Don't worry Charles, I am not stepping out onto the ledge... yet.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 179 of 188 (299 Views)

03-28-2012 03:53 PM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich
Kind of like a kid telling the parents they don't like their car after they bought it and driving junior to school with it: pointless :smileywink:

Time to visit the accessories shop and pimp this ride up instead :smileywink:
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 180 of 188 (244 Views)

03-29-2012 06:29 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

cbenner, CADastrophe, TravisNave, Charles_Shade, pendean

I think the idea holds merit and I can see it's value - but I agree it runs the risk of getting rid of that discussion feeling we have going on. I think it's one of those ideas we'd need to beat up quite a bit before considering implementing. And speaking of implementing - I don't have the slightest clue how we'd do that in these forums. I mean, I know you can tag people in Facebook and Twitter, but I haven't seen that on any forum yet. It's all still posts and private messages. Doesn't mean it's impossible though! Has anyone seem similar functionality anywhere?

I need to think about this one more. Hmm. :smileyhappy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!