Community Feedback

*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 91 of 188 (287 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-19-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman wrote:

Never used NNTP either.  Maybe I've just got the patience of a rock, but it takes a *lot* more than a minor change like that to force me elsewhere.  Things change, I deal.  *shrug*

I didn't/don't consider forcing the use of HTTP over NNTP a minor change.  Many others didn't either.  I think things would have gone much smoother during that time if the HTTP interface was introduced with a proper feature set.  Threaded views and a static navigation pane were minimum requirements, IMO.  Instead we got a mess and a "how to use this discussion forum"  thread (really?, it's THAT complicated it need to have it's own set of instructions for general use?  Yikes.)  If I recall correctly, Autodesk also made all of our account information available to the general public (ie spammers, etc..) during that process.  Quite the SNAFU at the time.

*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 92 of 188 (286 Views)

03-19-2012 11:09 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

CADastrophe wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but system specs do not belong on the signature line, because if they're ever updated, then It changes it in all previous posts. At the time of a post, maybe the system data was pertinent, but if the OP ever updates his system, the old post becomes invalidated and even confusing with the now updated info. I think you're supposed to use macros for that...

I belive that is true.  Perfect reason for not including system specs in signature tags.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 93 of 188 (277 Views)

03-19-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

As far as I know most people have this in thier signature lines right now.  I don't care how we do it, but that info should be there somewhere.  It's quite frustrating when a new poster asks a question, for which the possible answer depends on what version of the software they are using.  Also when they post a file,.. many times I have attempted to open a file to try to help someone only to find it's 2012.

If it's a macro or a signature or whatever.... there should be a way to put this in a message without having to keep typing it over and over.  IMVHO

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 94 of 188 (272 Views)

03-19-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: cbenner

To support my thought that new users should have some training in how to place system info somewhere, as in my posts above:  The suggestion was made that this be done through macros.... I've been following these forums for years, and I didn't know there were macros,... or what they do.  I'm going to play around with them this afternoon... might be that is the answer, but my original suggestion that there be some form of new user education (or old user as in my case) still stands.  Some of us need to have it beaten into us with a brick before we get it.  :smileysurprised:

ChrisB

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 95 of 188 (270 Views)

03-19-2012 11:51 AM in reply to: cbenner

Given how much attention many new users pay to helpful instructions, you would have to setup an initial mock-up training/tutorial message that runs through all the tools and procedures that the user must complete before posting acquiring his "posting license". And I'm only half kidding...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 96 of 188 (262 Views)

03-19-2012 12:01 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I don't disagree... not one bit.  Perhaps it could be a part of the registration then.  Ask a series of questions with checkboxes for software and versions.... that much alone is very helpful.  Then maybe ask for a brief description of system specs. 

I don't know the answer or how to format it, but I have seen a lot of people in just the Inventor board alone, ask these same questions over and over.  So,... I'm just raising the question.

btw... I got the macro thing now.  :smileyvery-happy:

AutoCAD 2011, IV 2011 Pro SP2 Tube and Pipe - Frame Generator, Vault Pro 2011 Win 7 x64, Dell precision PWS690, GeForce GTX580

ChrisB

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 97 of 188 (260 Views)

03-19-2012 12:02 PM in reply to: cbenner

I learned about the Macros from Eric Wright thru a phone conversation we had.

Pity me that I did not take the time to look thru my user settings and discover what is there.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 98 of 188 (264 Views)

03-19-2012 12:04 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Now there's a good one:

How do you get to light up your signature and have an linked line in the signature?

See? Feeling less and less adequate every day! :smileyvery-happy:

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 99 of 188 (235 Views)

03-19-2012 12:21 PM in reply to: cbenner

cbenner wrote:

I don't know the answer or how to format it, but I have seen a lot of people in just the Inventor board alone, ask these same questions over and over.  So,... I'm just raising the question.

btw... I got the macro thing now.  :smileyvery-happy:

AutoCAD 2011, IV 2011 Pro SP2 Tube and Pipe - Frame Generator, Vault Pro 2011 Win 7 x64, Dell precision PWS690, GeForce GTX580 

This is a perfect example.  Often users will post in an incorrect forum for the software they are using. You are using how many different software packages there?  Are we to assume that since you are posting in *this* forum, *this* is the software you are using?  And then, of course, there is the vanilla profile in a vertical application...

I don't disagree about an easy way to put the information in your message, I'm just saying listing *everything* is nearly pointless since it provides no real benefit to the user who is trying to anwer the question since all they can do is make an assumption about what software is being used, which is exactly what they can do without the extra information. 

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 100 of 188 (237 Views)

03-19-2012 12:25 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles_Shade wrote:

Now there's a good one:

How do you get to light up your signature and have an linked line in the signature?

See? Feeling less and less adequate every day! :smileyvery-happy:

Your reply points out another limitation (unless I'm overlooking something). The header of your reply says it was a reply to me, but how do I know which message? Shouldn't there be a link that takes me to the message in question, since this is not threaded.

reply.png

Re: the signature. It's just simple HTML code, which is allowed.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.