Community Feedback

*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 81 of 188 (438 Views)

Re: User Engagement Ideas?

03-19-2012 08:30 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

• I am not interested in the NTTP (newsreader) format to come back. If it's gone, it's gone. Things change all the time, nothing to do about it. The current format is easy to use, too.
  • I like the fact that this forum now has a little more color, at least now that we can create avatars. That adds a personal touch to usernames, and it helps to alleviate the monotony of the same colors all the time.

NNTP is still being used, as an option, in the Beta forums.  So Autodesk must realize the value.  Time to bring that option back to the public forums.  As for Avatars, color coding, etc.  Maybe I'm just old and crotchety but this isn't a fashion show.  Simple is good.  I'd take a properly threaded view and a static navigation pane over an avatar or color scheme any day of the week.

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 82 of 188 (430 Views)

03-19-2012 08:56 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alright, so looks like I opened the floodgates, huh? Thank you ALL for being constructive, creative, honest, and not (verbally) beating me up ... yet. :smileyhappy:

Usually I go through and reply to each of you, but I'm noticing some trends, so I'll respond to those. Sound good?

Keep it Simple: I do realize that it takes a PhD, some mind reading, and a whole lot of luck to actually do a lot of things on here. I've identified some of those sore points and I'm working on uncovering others. Some biggies? Registration, search, and heck... even just posting. I know this a huge reason we have a bizzillion browsers who don't become part of the community, and it's probably the same reason we've had some fantastic super users throw in the towel... er... keyboard?

So on the theme of keeping it simple - off the top of your head, can you think of any forum or website that has a really dynamic, awesome, and simple registration system? I mean, we're talking the 3 year old kid you know can handle it in 30 seconds simple. How about a really simple, but incredible forum layout? 

We Need a Neighborhood: Even though we've been discussing the forums non-stop, this forum is doing a great job illustrating that this group is entirely capable of having an actual community feel to it. That makes me pretty happy actually! Some ideas I've seen now to getting that community feeling growing are things like: having off-topic boards, some friendly leader boards, posts of the week, challenge questions, better get togethers at AU (and probably the reseller version of AU as well), and getting more of Autodesk engaged like this. That all sounds oddly feasible... weird. Anything else?

Educating the n00bs/newbies/new members: I don't know about you, but I hate being a newbie. It's just awkward. I always feel like I'm crossing into forbidden territory, and the top users are sitting there laughing at me. I know it's just a perception thing, so there's got to be a way to change how the forums seem when a new user registers.

We've talked a little bit about havin a 'Meet your super users' type of thing in each forum so folks actually get to see that there are real live peers in here with real jobs doing this voluntarily, but they're awesome and giving. Think that would help at all?

We've also been looking at doing a video on the front page of how to get started, but I am hilariously camera shy and don't want to leave the video to some dry, boring narrator. However, unless I'm wearing a snowboarding helmet and goggles (no, really - I did a bunch of mountain top video things for travel blog thing I run), I'm about as awkward as they get. I need to watch the link BrianHailey sent though. Maybe awkward is alright? Haha!

NNTP versus HTTP: This was one of those hurdles I heard about way back when and was a little terrified to tackle. But now that I've picked your brains and twisted your arms into explaining pros and cons of each system, I'm quickly seeing it's all about features. Good news is that HTTP gives us a platform to do a lot more - so keep chucking requests at me. Our forum hoster/designer company doesn't seem to hate me yet. In fact they said they like my blunt style! :smileyvery-happy:

And Alfredo and Jason, I'm going to follow-up in a minute with another post about the programs you mentioned. Give me a moment.

Keep it coming. You all rock.

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 83 of 188 (425 Views)

03-19-2012 08:58 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Reddit has one of the best user/forum type communities out there.

Collapsible comment threads FTW!

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 84 of 188 (424 Views)

03-19-2012 09:01 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo and Jason,

You've both mentioned programs we've had on the forums at various times that involved users as moderators, experts, and general keepers of peace. Do you happen to know if you're referring to the same program or is it two different attempts? Any info at all you have would be great including what you liked and didn't like. And how big was it?

Alfredo, I know you were telling me a bit about it during AU, but time to find out more!

Thank you both!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 85 of 188 (417 Views)

03-19-2012 09:20 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

Alfredo and Jason,

You've both mentioned programs we've had on the forums at various times that involved users as moderators, experts, and general keepers of peace. Do you happen to know if you're referring to the same program or is it two different attempts? Any info at all you have would be great including what you liked and didn't like. And how big was it?

It was the same program.  The name was shortened at some point.  I liked the fact we had our own private forum for discussing things and also a place to just blow off steam (couldn't really do that in the public forums, but it did happen at times!).  When the program was coming to a close, our technical efforts were seemingly less appreciated and it pretty much felt like our role was reduced to "spam control" more than anything else.  There were only a few of us that were involved.  I don't recall exactly, maybe a dozen or so people were 'Facilitators'.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 86 of 188 (399 Views)

03-19-2012 09:46 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian,

One thing a lot of us have been doing for a while now, and should probably be a part of any new user education, is creating a good signature line.  Many of us have included, in addition to our names, the AutoDesk products we use and the current version there-of.  Also our system specs in as much detail as possible.  Many have included some hint as to their expertise level... such as certifications.  Also many have included the line asking that you check the "Solved" button if the post helped you out.

I think all new users should be informed in some way to create a signature something like that, it really helps people who are trying to help them with questions.... since some of OUR questions to them are already answered right there.  Plus when they get a response, they have a better idea who it is that is trying to help them.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 87 of 188 (392 Views)

03-19-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: cbenner

Signatures are ok and can be helpful, other times they just clutter up each and every post.  You mention listing computer specs.  In general that can be a good idea, unless you list your home machine, work machine,  laptop, and... bla bla.  That is all virtually useless for the person reading the question unless they know which system you are working on (often omitted from the post) for the given issue at hand.

Avatars and signatures should have the option of being shut off.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 88 of 188 (399 Views)

03-19-2012 09:59 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

On the other hand, signatures, taglines, "please mark response", etc. tend to clutter up the message itself a lot of the time (Yes, I know I have a signature....) - but given the choice between having them or not - I would vote for not.

Having said that, let's make use of the web based format. Limit the signature to a single line, and have any additional info in a pop up (after 1 sec), or in an expandable part (use a [+] ).

Let the user enter their system specs, and let it be in the form of a pop up in the left margin (another vBulletin feature).

At the very least, use a different class (background color, font, something) for signatures so that they are differentiated from the message itself.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 89 of 188 (387 Views)

03-19-2012 10:05 AM in reply to: cbenner

Never used NNTP either.  Maybe I've just got the patience of a rock, but it takes a *lot* more than a minor change like that to force me elsewhere.  Things change, I deal.  *shrug*

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 90 of 188 (383 Views)

03-19-2012 10:50 AM in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but system specs do not belong on the signature line, because if they're ever updated, then It changes it in all previous posts. At the time of a post, maybe the system data was pertinent, but if the OP ever updates his system, the old post becomes invalidated and even confusing with the now updated info. I think you're supposed to use macros for that...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!