Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 1 of 10 (740 Views)

Search Board / community

740 Views, 9 Replies
11-20-2013 11:49 AM

I've found that if I'm in a forum and I use the search field in the upper right to search a board. On the results page the text in the search field is maintained. But Board changes to Community.

The text in the search field also is transferred to the field directly above show. If you want to edit the search by a word or correct some spelling. Your natural inclination might be to edit it in that field and hit search next to it. Unfortunately you then end up searching the whole Community and getting results from many products you're not using.

Not a huge deal. But something to consider for change in the future to stave off user frustration when confronted with a wasted search.

com.PNG

Allen

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 2 of 10 (731 Views)

Re: Search Board / community

11-20-2013 12:59 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

I've found that if I'm in a forum and I use the search field in the upper right to search a board. On the results page the text in the search field is maintained. But Board changes to Community.

I believe it does that because the 2nd field in the upper right search area (location) automatically detects what area/forum you are in and filters the results accordingly.  It wouldn't really make sense to search the search page, so defaulting to "Community" when on the main search page seems logical enough to me.

I'm curious about what your preference would be?  Perhaps remember which area/forum the search was originally initiated from?

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 10 (725 Views)

11-20-2013 01:20 PM in reply to: nestly2

I'd think it should maintain the board that I originally searched from. The most likely reason to initiate a search from the search results page is to refine or correct the search in progress. It wouldn't make sense that once I've gotten results from the Civil 3D forum that I'd suddenly want to correct a word and then search the whole community. That just gets a ton of results that don't pertain to Civil 3D.

But I can't go back or change it back to Board or Civil 3D. So if I want to correct or refine the search. I have to go back to the Civil 3D board and start over.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 4 of 10 (714 Views)

11-20-2013 02:27 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

But I can't go back or change it back to Board or Civil 3D. So if I want to correct or refine the search. I have to go back to the Civil 3D board and start over.

You should not have to go back to the original forum to refine the search, you should be able to refine the search string, search location, or any of the other filters right from the main search page without losing any of the existing search criteria. 

If you're trying to refine the search from the upper right search box again, then yeah, that doesn't work because that location defaults to the current page, not the original page.  I don't think it would be possible to code it to do both.

See if this screencast helps

http://www.screencast.com/t/yeosQO1A1s

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 10 (688 Views)

11-21-2013 05:09 AM in reply to: nestly2

OK. I can't hit screecast.com from work. But I went back and tried it again this morning and it worked as it should. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if there was a temporary glitch in the new site. After I'd experienced the problem during an actual search. I had tested it again and got the whole community result again. All well now though.

Thanks.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 6 of 10 (678 Views)

11-21-2013 05:45 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I don't know if this applies in your case, but it appears to be script (javascript) dependant.  If I disable javascript for the site ADSK is using for analytics, I too get kicked back to "Community" as the search location when attempting to refine the search.  Maybe the script wasn't running due to maintainence when you tried previously?

One other thing I did notice in your screenshot, and my testing as well is that the search box width "shrinks" after the 2nd search, making it difficult to change the search criteria.  Happens with both IE and FireFox

SearchBoxWidth.gif

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 7 of 10 (670 Views)

11-21-2013 06:04 AM in reply to: nestly2

nestly wrote:

I don't know if this applies in your case, but it appears to be script (javascript) dependant.  If I disable javascript for the site ADSK is using for analytics, I too get kicked back to "Community" as the search location when attempting to refine the search.  Maybe the script wasn't running due to maintainence when you tried previously?

OK. I'll take that as an excuse. No way to know at this point.

Allen

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 8 of 10 (616 Views)

12-17-2013 03:58 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

This one should be fixed now / with a previous update. Can you confirm?

Philip Schmelzer
*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 9 of 10 (609 Views)

12-17-2013 05:44 PM in reply to: philip.s

I believe the initial issue with the search location may have been a temporary/script issue, but the problem with the shrinking search box remains  (FF 25.0)

ResizingSearchBox.gif

Community Manager
philip.s
Message 10 of 10 (594 Views)

12-18-2013 10:46 AM in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for confirming / looking into it now!

Philip Schmelzer
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!