Community Feedback

Active Contributor
Ixath
Message 1 of 8 (366 Views)

Message EDIT time limit

366 Views, 7 Replies
07-19-2013 08:33 AM

Please increase the time limit we are given to edit our posts! The timer is so dang short. I hate having to respond to myself three times.

Maybe we could meet in the middle, and leave the current time limit in place.. but have it kick in only after there is a new response after the post you're editing.. And then increase the normal limit to 8 hours?

So.. We can make a post and if nobody responds to it, I'll have 8 hours (or something longer than the current limit) to edit it. But if somebody responds, the current timer kicks in and I have 5 minutes to edit or whatever.

I should probably learn to figure out what I want to say before I say it, but if I post an issue and then figure out something additional to add, I'd like to be able to edit and put all of my thoughts in a single space instead of replying to myself.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 8 (362 Views)

Re: Message EDIT time limit

07-19-2013 08:38 AM in reply to: Ixath

A popular request: so far 30-minutes is the limit unless someone responds I believe.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Discussion_Admin
Message 3 of 8 (360 Views)

07-19-2013 08:43 AM in reply to: Ixath

Ixath wrote:

Please increase the time limit we are given to edit our posts! The timer is so dang short. I hate having to respond to myself three times.

Maybe we could meet in the middle, and leave the current time limit in place.. but have it kick in only after there is a new response after the post you're editing.. And then increase the normal limit to 8 hours?

So.. We can make a post and if nobody responds to it, I'll have 8 hours (or something longer than the current limit) to edit it. But if somebody responds, the current timer kicks in and I have 5 minutes to edit or whatever.

I should probably learn to figure out what I want to say before I say it, but if I post an issue and then figure out something additional to add, I'd like to be able to edit and put all of my thoughts in a single space instead of replying to myself.

Thanks for the input.

The current discussion settings are 30 mins or until someone replies this is pretty much an industry wide standard.

The reasoning behind it is for archival accuracy.

Hope this helps
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 4 of 8 (352 Views)

07-19-2013 09:07 AM in reply to: Discussion_Admin

If possible, I would favor leaving the message open for editing until a reply is posted.  I do know you can sometimes delete your own posts several days after they're posted if no has replied, so it seems odd that you wouldn't also be able to edit them.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 8 (345 Views)

07-19-2013 10:18 AM in reply to: nestly2
You can DELETE your own message anytime I believe: perhaps that's the way the OP needs to apporach it instead of replying to himself more than once in a thread.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 8 (341 Views)

07-19-2013 10:21 AM in reply to: pendean

Delete not available in the Options dropdown once the post has been replied to.

I have been able to edit after a reply has been made though.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Kent1Cooper
Message 7 of 8 (57 Views)

03-27-2014 07:18 AM in reply to: Discussion_Admin

Discussion_Admin wrote:

The current discussion settings are 30 mins or until someone replies this is pretty much an industry wide standard.

The reasoning behind it is for archival accuracy.

But it's not univerally applied.  I just ran across a good example of why it's not good to be able to edit something after it's been replied to.  The OP apparently changed not only the content of several of their messages, but even the Subject line!  And they corrected a spelling error pointed out in someone else's reply, so that the correction now seems to be in error, though it wasn't at the time.  It takes following down the thread for a while to find out what it was originally about.  Others with the same problem could have benefitted from the solution suggested, even if the OP didn't like it, but are much less likely to see it now.

Even within the current time limit, I don't think editing should be allowed after a reply, since it can remove or change the aspect someone was replying to, which can be very confusing for those who run across it after the change.  But I would agree that a longer time limit before any replies have been posted would be a positive change.

Kent Cooper
Discussion_Admin
Message 8 of 8 (48 Views)

03-27-2014 08:13 AM in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks for the post Kent.

Well I can not speak for that forum's policy since it's not ours other than to say it's sad users will most likely not get any long term help from that post.

Of course you could always point them here for answers :smileyhappy:

But that is a good example of why we have this in place.

Thirty minutes is a good amount of time to correct things in a question however it's understandable replies may not get that long but in either case users can always file RIC and get things fixed we are always happy to help.

FYI on the deletions mentioned earlier in this thread. User's can not delete after a reply is posted.

But I do agreed that sometimes it's best just to start over again when you are not getting replies that is why there is no time limit on that one.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.