Community Feedback

Distinguished Contributor
cvbt-thailand
Message 1 of 5 (1,472 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to Follow Someone

1472 Views, 4 Replies
07-25-2012 12:57 AM

I'm mentoring some students.  I've encouraged them to post on the Inventor forums and I'd like to "follow them."  That is, I'd like to automatically be subscribed to their posts and notified of activity.  At least I'd like to be able to add them as a "friend" and check up on them without having to remember their "handle."

Geoffrey Wheeler
IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2; Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS MB Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM

The best way I have found is to subscribe to the users RSS feed.

To do this just click on the user name and at the bottom right of the box with their recent messages in it you will see a View All link click that link then their will be a Message Options drop down box in the top left hand corner choose Subscribe to RSS Feed then the reader of your choice and  all of the past and future post from that  account will sent to your reader.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 2 of 5 (1,465 Views)

Re: How to Follow Someone

07-25-2012 06:37 AM in reply to: cvbt-thailand

Hi Geoffrey,

The best way I can think of is to use the search tool and either create an RSS feed or permalink. To do this:

1. Head on over to this page: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message
  2. Click on 'Advanced Search'
  3. In the 'With one of more of the words' field, put in all of the student's forum usernames (no commas or ANDs necessary).
  4. Click 'Search'

You should get a list of all of the threads they've been involved with. Click on a few to be sure, but it should take you right to their post in the thread no matter how long it is.

To mark this search more permanent so you don't need to go through the steps above, you can either:

• Use the 'Subscribe to RSS Feed for this Search' tool by just clicking the link and following the directions.
  • Use the 'Permalink' funtionality. The permalink will provide a link to this search with all of your specifications that you can keep coming back to. It works best to put the permalink in you favorites or something similar.

Hope this helps!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 3 of 5 (1,459 Views)

07-25-2012 06:59 AM in reply to: cvbt-thailand

If you wanted to have a definite list of all your students, you could instruct them to put a specific keyword under "Biography" (in My Settings). Then you could create a Search for Users with that specific keyword in their Biography.

SearchCriteria.JPG

This would not provide the direct link to their posts as per Jillian's suggestion, but you'd have a full list of your students and a link to their profiles. You could also easily find them to add to your 'Friends' list with this, which you can do from their Profile Page.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Discussion_Admin
Message 4 of 5 (1,455 Views)

07-25-2012 07:18 AM in reply to: cvbt-thailand

The best way I have found is to subscribe to the users RSS feed.

To do this just click on the user name and at the bottom right of the box with their recent messages in it you will see a View All link click that link then their will be a Message Options drop down box in the top left hand corner choose Subscribe to RSS Feed then the reader of your choice and  all of the past and future post from that  account will sent to your reader.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Distinguished Contributor
cvbt-thailand
Message 5 of 5 (1,437 Views)

07-26-2012 02:02 AM in reply to: Discussion_Admin

OK, I'm new to RSS feeds but I tried it and this works.  I set the RSS feed notification to be a button on my Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar.  I have a button for each student (I actually have a total of 13 students I'm mentoring but only a few are currently active on the forums).  This is how to do it:

• Ask the student for their user name.
  • Search the forum for a post by them.
  •   AutoDesk Discussion Groups > Search > user name > "no matching results"
  •   Click on the Users Tab > user name > "New member x posts"
  • Click on x posts > all their posts will be shown (this will populate their post history.  If you just click on a new users name; their page won't show their posts).
  • Click on Message Options > Subscribe to RSS Feed. > your RSS feed application's options dialog box will come up.

I'm set for now.  Thank you.

Geoffrey Wheeler
IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2; Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS MB Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.