Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 1 of 18 (1,735 Views)
Accepted Solution

How Postings, Kudos and correct answers Equate to Rankings

1735 Views, 17 Replies
05-18-2012 09:14 AM

I have seen this image posted in a thread that was designed to show how the forums work.

forum.JPG

My question is, is there a document or a link that outlines at what point do you reach these specific levels and what criteria has to be met before reaching it and what are the benefits exactly of reaching it?

It says you get more opportunities.  What are those opportunities?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Hi Scott,

The specific information as to how the ranks work is a secret (highly guarded files on my laptop), and the only reason we do that is to make sure users are here for the right reason. If you're here being helpful, professional, polite, friendly, and welcoming, you'll be soaring through the ranks in no time. If you're mean, unhelpful, and just post responses to get your post count higher - not so much. Divulging the secret numbers lets people potentially drive their ranks for the wrong reasons, and no one will benefit from that (especially since there's still a human - me - on the other end making sure top users are real awesome users).

As for the benefits for being a top user... the ranking system is still pretty new. We implemented it just a few months ago, so we're still in that beta stage of making sure it's all working as intended, that everyone is where they're supposed to be, and that folks are moving at approriate rates. We're also still trying to figure out the benefits too. Some people are totally psyched with a free t-shirt, but disgusted with a coffee mug, and others won't settle for anything less than an all expenses paid trip to AU. I'm personally at the point now of trying to figure out what top users consider a beneficial and satisfactory reward, so if you have any ideas at all, please let me know!

However, one thing I can say about benefits is that there is a huge opportunity for networking and participation in Autodesk projects. Various teams are constantly looking for testers, input, and other types of participation from highly skilled external users. The ranking system gives a great look into who to nominate for these projects!

I hope this sort of answered some of your questions, but if you have more, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 2 of 18 (1,713 Views)

Re: How Postings, Kudos and correct answers Equate to Rankings

05-21-2012 05:26 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't think there is going to be much of an answer possible

to your question. The new Discussion Groups is trying to be

more human-friendly and less  bureaucratic. Therefore, some

things might be a little more subjective. This forum was headed

toward being highly structured a few years ago and it got boring

and many members went to other forums. I'm just sitting back and

watching it unfold.

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 3 of 18 (1,698 Views)

05-22-2012 08:39 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Scott,

The specific information as to how the ranks work is a secret (highly guarded files on my laptop), and the only reason we do that is to make sure users are here for the right reason. If you're here being helpful, professional, polite, friendly, and welcoming, you'll be soaring through the ranks in no time. If you're mean, unhelpful, and just post responses to get your post count higher - not so much. Divulging the secret numbers lets people potentially drive their ranks for the wrong reasons, and no one will benefit from that (especially since there's still a human - me - on the other end making sure top users are real awesome users).

As for the benefits for being a top user... the ranking system is still pretty new. We implemented it just a few months ago, so we're still in that beta stage of making sure it's all working as intended, that everyone is where they're supposed to be, and that folks are moving at approriate rates. We're also still trying to figure out the benefits too. Some people are totally psyched with a free t-shirt, but disgusted with a coffee mug, and others won't settle for anything less than an all expenses paid trip to AU. I'm personally at the point now of trying to figure out what top users consider a beneficial and satisfactory reward, so if you have any ideas at all, please let me know!

However, one thing I can say about benefits is that there is a huge opportunity for networking and participation in Autodesk projects. Various teams are constantly looking for testers, input, and other types of participation from highly skilled external users. The ranking system gives a great look into who to nominate for these projects!

I hope this sort of answered some of your questions, but if you have more, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 4 of 18 (1,689 Views)

05-22-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Jillian,

I so appreciate you getting back to me.

What you said makes a lot of sense and I highly respect what you said.

I asked because having been a part of the Solidworks forum community, I have seen first hand the types of things you are mentioning.  I can tell you first hand that I find great satisfaction in trying to help people.  With that said I also find

that by helping people on forums like this you also learn so it is a win, win conbination.

I have already been contacted by Autodesk to participate and I think I will give it a try.  I was part of beta programs with Solidworks so I would assume this would be very similar.

As far as gift suggestions?  You pretty much covered them other then possible subscription discounts or software deals

or something along those lines.

Thanks again for responding and I look forward to this ride.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 5 of 18 (1,684 Views)

05-22-2012 10:00 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

Glad to hear I don't sound completely out in left field. :smileyvery-happy:

Definitely get involved with the beta programs. It's a great chance to get ahead of the learning curve for new releases and potential new products, and there's almost always networking opportunities as well.

If you ever have any ideas or feedback, feel free to PM me on here or just send me an e-mail at Jillian.Bejtlich@autodesk.com. I really truly do welcome feedback from users. In fact I'm usually nagging and begging for feedback!

Thanks!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 18 (1,667 Views)

05-23-2012 05:00 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian - Where do we send the flowers and chocolates?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 7 of 18 (1,657 Views)

05-23-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Haha! I'll take that as a compliment, so thank you. :smileyhappy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 8 of 18 (1,641 Views)

05-25-2012 06:06 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Hi Jillian,

I have a question.  Maybe because I am new to this forum and haven't figured it out yet, but I see where I can add tags and bookmarks.  My question is I am finding it rather difficult to go back to those tags and bookmarks.

Also finding it difficult to go back to my threads.  When I go to "My Stuff" it gives me a complete list of every post I have started as well as responded to and bookmarked.  Is there a drop down somewhere under my account that gives me a pointer that goes to just my started threads, just my bookmarks and just my tags?

If not there should be.  In my opinion this would make it a whole lot easier.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 18 (1,598 Views)

05-31-2012 06:23 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I think the number of posts is still playing a high role in establishing the rankings here, more than the number of solutions. It should be the other way around. What do people come here for? For solutions, anyway.

• Example 1: someone has 1,000 posts and 1 solution, his/her ratio of solutions / posts is: 0.001
  • Example 2: someone has 1,000 posts and 100 solutions, his/her ratio of solutions / posts is: 10
  • Then, those 2 users must have a different label or ranking in the forum. As simple as that. 

But it is not working that way. The ranking is still working on the number of posts, which is not a good indicator. Currently, the number of posts is displayed below the username, but the number of solutions is not displayed. It should be the other way around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 10 of 18 (1,594 Views)

05-31-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

Without saying too much because I refuse to give away all my secrets, that metric will be added in soon. I can't tell you where the cut off is, but the ratio of topics started (questions) to overall posts will begin to matter for top ranked users.

If we all see each other again at AU, I think we ought to have a metrics discussion. I want to hear what everyone thinks about measurements (and besides... I love math). :smileyvery-happy:

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!