Community Feedback

*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 11 of 23 (247 Views)

Re: A Solution: Once Upon a Time...

04-25-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I hesitate to say that anyone other than the OP should mark the solution. It could devolve into a big mess if the post had a heated debate going on. The OP hopefully uses the 'power' judicially. I think the Kudos system is a useful tool for the community as a whole to mark the post they see as being the right answer if they think the OP got it wrong. Plus, we can still comment on a solved post, and hopefully negate any perceived misinformation.

I'm a pretty literal person, so I guess the use of 'solution' is my sticking point. Granted, what does it really matter to me if someone marks a post solved, even if I don't think so. As you say it is the OP's need. I just try to answer the question at hand or engage in a useful debate. I will still promote more options than just 'Solution' to make the resolution of a post be as informative as possible.

~ Mary

Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 12 of 23 (231 Views)

04-26-2012 09:13 AM in reply to: MarySeufert

Hmm... all good points. It's kind of funny how one little word can have such a huge impact on whether or not we choose to click a button, but it's totally valid. A solution implies that something is 100% totally and utterly solved. A workaround means you can work for now, but it's not perfect. So, the word resolution or answer definitely come to mind as the best words to use in this case. Let me see what we can do about changing it.

Now, as for who marks something answered - while the OP is the ideal person since we want to know whether or not it's been answered in their mind, I think extending the power to others would help. A lot of times the OP posts something, it gets answered, and they vanish without thanks or marking the answer. 100 other users come along and ask the same question not know it's been answered before. If we were to set up a standard of giving OP's a certain amount of time to mark their answer, and then it was fair game to Autodesk folks and perhaps a specific group of external moderator folks - would that be ideal?

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 13 of 23 (225 Views)

04-26-2012 09:36 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

If we were to set up a standard of giving OP's a certain amount of time to mark their answer, and then it was fair game to Autodesk folks and perhaps a specific group of external moderator folks - would that be ideal?

I would say this would be good. It might also be of benefit to show who it was that marked it as such, perhaps as a footnote to the post.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 14 of 23 (221 Views)

04-26-2012 09:57 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

My thought on this is that is would be a small panel type group who would have the opportunity to pass the solution around the table once or twice to be sure that is correct.

Though more work for those who would volunteer amongst the chosen this would offer greater expansion of the knowledge base and upon acceptance would make sense that the accepted solutions were offered thru Exchange as well.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 15 of 23 (216 Views)

04-26-2012 10:07 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I figured that the ones who got this "ability" would use it for the obvious, no-brainier situations. (i.e., Q: "How do I erase this?", A: "The ERASE command", Reply: "Perfect! Thanks!"). And if there is any question or doubt, leave it alone or collaborate with others.

Jeff_M wrote:

"...It might also be of benefit to show who it was that marked it as such, perhaps as a footnote to the post."

And this is a good idea, I think. Kinda along the lines of the "edited by Discussion_Admin".

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
Jillian.Bejtlich
Message 16 of 23 (212 Views)

04-26-2012 10:13 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Alright, so here's part two of the "external moderator" question... who chooses who these people are? I don't think it's something that all of the people in orange want to/should do, and there's definitely some folks in green that I would trust without a doubt.

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 17 of 23 (203 Views)

04-26-2012 10:47 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

I would think that Autodesk would make the desision as to who to ask.

As much as we post and interact here it is not, in the end, our Forum or Company.

Lot-o vetting would need to go on.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 18 of 23 (194 Views)

04-26-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: Jillian.Bejtlich

Well, since you already have in mind a group of trusted members, you could message them directly to volunteer for this. The members that you are already aware of can nominate those they see participating in a positive and effective way to get a bigger group for you to pull from. Lets face it there are those that are shaded green that I wouldn't trust to know the right answer, so that whole system isn't a perfect way to give certain users more sway on the 'solution' within the community.

Might think about giving the elevated members a voting button on each reply similar to the kudos system to mark the best answer. Then if the poster doesn't mark anything after your arbitrary time limit, the post with the most votes gets marked as the answer. More of a community feel that way. Similar, if something is marked as a solution and isn't, they can mark it and if enough do so, the green check goes away and the one they vote as the answer gets checked!

If you don't want to go down the road of overwriting what the OP thinks is the best answer, you could have the voted answer marked as 'Solution by Super Users' or whatever seems appropriate.  ~ Mary

pendean
Message 19 of 23 (181 Views)

04-27-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: MarySeufert

I think only the OP should have the power to mark a reply as the solution: whether they do it or not that's up to them. Even if there is follow up 'fixes' in later versions of that product, an original reply must stand simply as a historical record.

Maybe we just need to make the dates on posts a lot more obvious.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 20 of 23 (172 Views)

04-27-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: pendean

pendean,

If you were granted this power, would you at least use it in the really obvious cases (an per the previous example) or disdain its use entirely? The posts themselves won't be altered, just 'tagged' or 'bookmarked' in a sense. The goal is to improve the consistency of the entire 'Solutions' system rather than aim to increase one's "Solutions Authored" count. The systems needs some level of supervision to be most effective.

And regarding previous Solutions that are no longer Solutions: if noticed, we could always add an additional post with the applicable information.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.