Community
Community Classifieds
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes people appreciate AutoCAD 2012, 2007 and 2010 versions?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
galvarezhn
490 Views, 2 Replies

What makes people appreciate AutoCAD 2012, 2007 and 2010 versions?

The aim of this article is to make an analysis of the AutoCAD’s last 10 versions in order to try to explain AutoDesk’s release patterns and also the evolution that have taken consumers now that the Internet traffic and social networks play an essential role in the news dissemination.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: galvarezhn

I am not sure why this would be posted in a Classifieds section, as it seems nobody is selling anything, nor hiring anyone, nor looking for work.

As to the article, I can see the fallacy of taking only a cross-section survey on facebook, of primarily Spanish-speaking users. A world-wide survey in an AutoCAD-centric forum such as here, or on AUGI for example, might have brought more results from a broader ranger of users.

My case in point is your abundant praise for the 2007 release, while totally minimizing the significance of the 2008 version. It seems that most of your respondents must only draw in 3D, for which I'd agree that 2007 was a significant leap forward in 3D tools, plus the ability to manipulate objects in a similar fashion to Sketchup.

However, 2008 represented numerous major advances including 2D documentation improvements. It was the first year for annotative objects (text, hatch, blocks, dimensions) which brought significant improvements in productivity for 2D annotation across multiple viewport scales. Secondly, 2008 saw the introduction of viewport overrides for layer color and linetypes. This meant that where before, one might have to insert the same XREF under multiple names (in order to get different linetype/color effects for differing instances) -- now one could insert an XREF once, and make the color and linetype changes on a per-viewport basis (multiple viewports looking at the same XREF).

Thirdly, there were numerous improvements and additions to dimensioning tools. I think this was the introduction of multileaders, but it was definitely the introduction of tools for jogging dimension lines, spacing dimension lines evenly, and the like. To really appreciate the significance of 2008, one must only realize two things -- that it still contained the relatively new 3D improvements from the 2007 version; and that it was the last of the old-style GUIs before the Ribbon turned the AutoCAD users' world on its ear in 2009.

All of the graphs in the world, and people saying "I must be right because the line goes up to this point, after which it goes down" -- don't make any difference in the real world, where a wider population (including 2D users) know differently from experience, yesno?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 3

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

As to the article, I can see the fallacy of taking only a cross-section survey on facebook, of primarily Spanish-speaking users. A world-wide survey in an AutoCAD-centric forum such as here, or on AUGI for example, might have brought more results from a broader ranger of users.

You know, I haven't taken a poll on anyone's favorite release of AutoCAD, but, I did just do a fun one on someone's first version of autocad: http://www.augi.com/images/uploads/surveys/2012_poll_firstAutoCAD.pdf (I believe one must be logged in to see these documents?)

There was also one last year on what release folks are currently using: http://www.augi.com/images/uploads/surveys/2012_poll_CurrentAutoCAD.pdf

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report