Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started in the exciting world of cad freelancing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
donovandigital
677 Views, 2 Replies

Getting started in the exciting world of cad freelancing

After taking a college course, I feel like I'm getting fast enough to actually charge money for my services - nothing full time, just some piecework for extra cash. 

My concerns are, in order of descending significance

0) What kind of turnaround times will be expected of me? For example, this

https://www.google.com/search?q=MCM275&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=KN6NT8X...

took me about 3 hours (only the front, didn't really need the back) - is this a good time?

1)I don't really have any previous experience ( I come from electronics/AV), so a resume is right out. I'm guessing I will have to sell myself with my portfolio, meager at the moment as it may be. How many pieces (and what kind) should I have in my portfolio before I start looking for work?

2) I'm assuming craigslist isn't the best place to start? How about odesk./elancer/whatever?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Joe Stavitsky

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Joe,

Welcome to the club. I hope I'm not being too obvious in my statements or questions but, if I understand you correctly, you are saying you are looking to contract yourself out to do these odd CAD jobs on Inventor/Acad, etc.?

If so, this leads me to ask if you have purchased or considered purchasing a seat of the software or will you simply be expecting to use the prospective client's software/hardware? I'm also assuming you realize you can't use a student version for profit, right?

I'd consider stacking your portfolio with whatever projects you did in school. Showing the work you did (model/assembly/drawing), sorry, wasn't able to check out your provided example of your work.

But you might have a much easier time getting your foot in the door as a CAD jock for an employer as a direct employee or a contractor from a head-hunter. Especially not having any real world experience, a lot of places will not be willing to risk it, especially in today's market. You also might want to prepare yourself to move around a lot, especially as a contractor.

Best of luck to you though.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 3
mc2815
in reply to: donovandigital

I need someone to take a set of plans and do individual room layouts with scope of work key. Is there someone that can help with this?

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report