Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Drawing Sheet Layout Questionnaire

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jason.christensen
802 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD Drawing Sheet Layout Questionnaire

We have developed a system within AutoCAD for managing the process of laying out drawing sheets in Model Space.

When a new drawing is initiated the user selects a sheet size, title block, and drawing scale via a dialog. The drawing's LIMITS are then set to the sheet size, the selected title block is inserted, and a scale factor for the sheet is set. The scale factor is subsequently used to scale drawing content (i.e. blocks and annotations) when inserted into Model Space. One sheet is created per .dwg file and printing is done from Model Space.

With this questionnaire we are trying to figure out if this AutoCAD system might be of value to other AutoCAD users. It will take 5-20 minutes to complete depending on how much information you choose to share.

This message has been crossposted to the three AutoCAD and the General Customization forums to ensure access to the widest relevant audience possible.

You can reach the creator of this questionnaire at:

Jason Christensen
jason@jasonchristensen.net
+1 206 235 4539

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: jason.christensen

Not drawing at 1:1 in modelspace?
Or have you just not discovered annotative objects types yet?
Message 3 of 7

cross posting --???? RUDE

short answer, the vast majority of people using CAD quit that approach over a decade ago, and happily take advantage of paper space and multiple layouts.  Putting a border in Model space is so 1980s.... and horribly inefficient.

Message 4 of 7

Quite honestly, we had a system very similar to this in place in-house about 20-plus years ago. Those types of systems worked very well for doing cad in modelspace.

However, as was already stated, most (us included) went away from doing cad in modelspace a long time ago. We made the switch when annotative text/dims/etc came out.

Message 5 of 7

I vote paper space...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 7
jason.christensen
in reply to: pendean

Your first rhetorical question is correct, but not the second Dean.

I am assuming that you are aware that at the beginning AutoCAD was merely a 2D drawing plane defined by the X and Y axes. Users created their entire sheet on that virtual drawing plane just like they did on their drafting tables. This was before Paper Space was introduced and this virtual drawing plane was converted to 3D and called Model Space.

We're aware of at least one company that still uses AutoCAD in this way and are assessing whether or not there are other users out there that may find our software useful in their practice. We know it's a long shot given how long ago AutoCAD changed.

Thanks for your feedback.
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I put together a quick demo of the system here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHE5oiOdaZI

Please let me know if you have any additional feedback.

Cheers, Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report