Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening some drawings with a surface, civil 3d 2023 will freeze

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Mary-Beth-Chasen_BOULDER-CO
183 Views, 6 Replies

When opening some drawings with a surface, civil 3d 2023 will freeze

When opening some drawings with a seemingly simple surface, civil 3d 2023 will freeze and the command will eventually be executed after a delay of few seconds. In some cases, civil 3d may crash or never respond, and must be forcibly ended using Windows Task Manager. Thank you for helping.
Civil 3D 2023
Win 11 Pro
Dell Precision 5680 x64

NVIDIA RTX 2000

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Troubleshooting 101.

1) Can you replicate this issue with other files?
2) Can you replicate this issue on your computer logged in as someone else?
3) Can you replicate this issue on someone else's computer using the same files? Using files they created?

4) Can you replicate this issue if the files are copied locally to your computer?

The answers to these questions will help you determine where the issue is, the file, your computer, your user profile, , your network, or the software in general.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 7

Hi Brian, 
Thank you for responding.

1) Can you replicate this issue with other files?

Yes
2) Can you replicate this issue on your computer logged in as someone else?

I Haven't tried yet.
3) Can you replicate this issue on someone else's computer using the same files? Using files they created?

I was able to open these files with other user laptops.

4) Can you replicate this issue if the files are copied locally to your computer?
This option did not work either. This is happening with the "Civil 3D 2023 Imperial" installation.

I have checked my video graphics card to be certain Windows is using the correct settings for performance rather than generic graphics settings.
I used the optional icon "Civil 3D 2023 Metric" installation and <BAM!> the drawing opened right up, so I've changed the Profile to use the "Imperial" options and set them the same as those I use within the other installment (Imperial version).
Does any of this lead one to believe my installed Imperial version is corrupt and is in need of UNINSTALL/REINSTALL?

Mary Beth (Harwood) Chasen
Previous student, CAD-1
Thornton, CO

Message 4 of 7

The only difference (that I'm aware of at least) between the imperial and metric shortcuts is the AutoCAD profile it launches. Since it works for the metric profile and not the imperial profile, delete the imperial profile. In your options dialog box, delete the Civil 3D imperial profile (make sure you set a different profile current) and then launch again using the imperial shortcut. It should recreate the profile. Let us know if that helps.

BrianHailey_0-1705512042328.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 7

Sorry, this is what I referred to in the version installation: 

MBChasen_0-1705512487986.png

But, I will also try your option and see what happens......

Message 6 of 7

This suggestion to delete and recreate the Imperial Profile is the ticket!

This was very helpful, Brian. I appreciate your knowledge.

Message 7 of 7

@Mary-Beth-Chasen_BOULDER-CO wrote:

Sorry, this is what I referred to in the version installation: 

MBChasen_0-1705512487986.png

But, I will also try your option and see what happens......

Those icons will launch the program using either the imperial or metric profiles. If you right click on one of them and then choose "Properties", you'll see in the Target field, "/p <<C3D_Imperial>>". That's the AutoCAD profile that it will use when it opens the program. If you want to use your own profile when you launch it, copy the shortcut and change that piece of text to reference your profile.

BrianHailey_0-1705513610208.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report