Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURVEY FIGURE and COGO POINT coordinates not quite right

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RandyBenson
340 Views, 8 Replies

SURVEY FIGURE and COGO POINT coordinates not quite right

I'm importing a .csv file into my survey database in PNEZD comma-delimited format. Units are US Survey Foot, Zone is Not Datum, No Projection. Survey Figures and Cogo Points are created, but their vertices are ALL roughly 0.015' different than the import file coordinates. This occurs in all drawings. What setting have I missed tweaking?

TIA,

Randy

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: RandyBenson

Hi Randy,
At those coordinate values, 0.015' is the difference between US Survey Foot and International Foot. Even if you set your drawing as US Survey Units, you might need to set Insertion Scale in UNITS.
Dave

Units_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 9
RandyBenson
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave,

That sounds right, but when I changed (from Unitless) to US Survey Feet and  reimported the .csv file, the discrepancy remained unchanged.

Message 4 of 9
LucasHicks

I'm curious if you start a new dwg with the correct settings and don't import through the survey database but just insert the points do you still see the incorrect coordinates?

OpenRoads Designer, Civil 3D
Message 5 of 9
RandyBenson
in reply to: LucasHicks

I'm not sure what you mean by just insert the points, but I gave the .csv file to my friend Richard Grainer and he was unable to reproduce what I'm seeing, so it clearly seems to be something misconfigured here, I'm just at a loss as to what.
Message 6 of 9
RandyBenson
in reply to: Pointdump

I thought Unitless was the recommended setting for INSBASE, are you sure that INSBASE needs to match the Drawing Units?
Thanks
Message 7 of 9
Pointdump

Randy,
It's usually best to set the Insertion Scale to Unitless, but whenever I'm having a units problem, I experiment. I'm unable to re-create your problem with the CSV file. So I don't know what's going on.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 9
zoeyanne

Even if you don't set a coordinate system, you are still passively setting your drawing and the survey database to international foot, US foot, or meter. You need to verify if you are in using the proper setting by checking both the survey database AND the drawing settings.  Most people don't realize that you can actually collect data in one coordinate system and translate into a different coordinate system by changing changing the two settings as needed.

Message 9 of 9
RandyBenson
in reply to: zoeyanne

That was it! Thanks, I really appreciate it. Fun Fact: I had to start a new drawing for it to take effect. Nothing I tried in the existing drawing had any effect.
Whew. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report