Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid model of stockpile

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
338 Views, 4 Replies

Solid model of stockpile

I have created a model of a stockpile and base for volume purposes. The client has given me density readings from boreholes on the stock and asked if I can provide a model showing these densities as a 3D solid. Best way of explaining is that he would like to see a view of the stock as if it were a cake with a quarter slice taken out and the filling in view.  I may have started off on the wrong track but currently have the density readings as a series of 3D solids based on depth/density and these are all set to the stock boundary so I would now like to slice these solids to the stock surface but cannot seem to be able to, the stock surface was a triangulation (3D faces) that I have now converted to solid and joined in union but this surface seems to be too complex to use to slice. 

Hopefully someone can tell me either I have gone off at the wrong approach or this is the right way with some kind of fix.

For info I am working in Civil 2010.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure what you mean by "density readings from boreholes"

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

In the case of this stock it is coal and the client has taken samples at every 0.5m depth and the values he has given me are described as Density (kg/m3)

Message 4 of 5
neilyj666

Hmmmm....I'm not particulary familiar with the use of vanilla CAD surfaces and solids.

I would probably have approached it in slightly different way and created Civil surfaces (from the borehole levels) of the densities and used the principles in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWFZK4IY2g8&feature=youtu.be

There may be a far slicker way just by using vanilla surfaces and solids which may get a better response in the AutoCAD forum

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 5
antoniovinci

With the free SketchUP you could get something like this:

stratificato.gif

I never tried it upon exporting vectors from Autocad, but I guess it's quite doable, sir.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report