Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Builder - Autolayout

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
495 Views, 8 Replies

Part Builder - Autolayout

I am trying to create a structure that does not insert about its center. It is a simple rectangle shape that I want to insert on one of its edges. When I change the insertion point to not coincide with the center of the structure it starts inserting it randomly within the drawing (within 20 feet or so). Am I missing a step in defining where it gets inserted at, or does it always have to insert at the center?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
petrocat
in reply to: Anonymous

Had the same problem. Gave up on part builder and pretty much anything complex with pipes.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

you can create a block with the insertion point wherever you want it. Then put this block into the style. Keep in mind that civil 3D doesn't recognize any dimensions of the block.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I am having the same problem, but only when the structure is configured to be an inlet-outlet. As soon as I change the configuration to a Junction-Structure it works. The pipe end snaps to the placement point.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

It's surprising how many of these posts go unanswered.  I'm new to Part Builder.  I only got started on it about a week ago.  It seems to me that the answer to the initial question is to set a 2d point at your insert point in the top plane and make it fixed.  Make a 2d line through the point as a layout line and make it fixed.  Constrain your structure walls parallel and perpendicular to the layout line and the one wall coincident to the fixed point.  Dimension your structure to the layout line and the fixed point.  And finally set your autolayout point at the fixed point.

Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Thats because none of us know how to use it. Smiley Sad

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thats because the documentation on it is sketchy and the tutorials available are limited.  It's not rocket surgery but its close.  I have about 20 hours logged on Part Builder and through trial and error was able to successfully make two arch pipe part familys with all the commercially available sizes for RCP and CMP.  The tricky part for me was understanding the model variables and the size parameters.  Constraints and dimensions were also fun but not too tricky.  I'm a Civil Engineer but I have done quite a bit of programming and know a little XML so that helped.

Message 8 of 9
Joe-Bouza

You have invested your time wisely, and I m sure it will payoff with the PB. I shold piut more time into it. Thanks for the motovation.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Cool.

Feel free to contact me if you run into a roadblock.  My email should be visible in my profile but if not, its mpara@bh-ba.com.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report