Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help creating featurelines or a corridor from an existing trail surface

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
jeff_rivers
187 Views, 1 Reply

Need help creating featurelines or a corridor from an existing trail surface

I have a surface created from an existing recreational trail, and I want to end up with featurelines defined from the surveyed points representing the existing crown, and the existing left and right edges of the trail.  One featureline for the left edge, one for the right edge, and one for the crown. 

My survey crew walked the trail and shot three points every 100 feet or so: EGR-L, EGR-R, and CRN.  Edge of Gravel - Right/Left and Crown. 

The total length is about two miles, so there are around 300 points total, 100 each for left, right, and crown. 

The point numbers increment left-to-right, then upstation along the trail.  That is, the first three points are: 10000=EGR-L, 10001=CRN, 10002=EGR-R, then the next group 100' up the trail are 10003=EGR-L, 10004=CRN, 10005=EGR-R. 

How do I create the featurelines?  I am not a master user when it comes to surveyed points.  I think I have the method, but I do not know the exact commands to use for the second step:  

1.  Create three new point groups, using the point names for the left, right, and crown points:  EGR-L, EGR-R, and CRN.

2.  With each point group, create a featureline (or plain line) through only the points in that group (HOW?)

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
user181
in reply to: jeff_rivers

If you renumber the points in a text file so the are in order from start of EGR-L to the end of EGR-L (1-100) and the same for CRN (101-200) and EGR-R (201-300) and import them to a drawing you can use Feature Line and the option Create Feature Line from the ribbon. after clicking on ok in the dialog box the command line will ask you to specify the start point. You enter 'pn and hit enter. It asks enter point number. type 1-100 and hit enter. it will then ask you to specify elevation. the elevation of the point should be there and you hit enter and it will and it will go through all the points and you just hit enter for each and it draws the feature line. Repeat for each feature line.

Hope this helps.

Edit: This link may explain better   

http://fromthegroundup.typepad.com/from_the_ground_up/2009/11/cogo-points-to-feature-line.html

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report