Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lane trasition with curves

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
fishautodesk124
1256 Views, 3 Replies

Lane trasition with curves

My current dwg file shows a roadway with a centerline and 12’ travel way and an 8’ shoulder on the left and right side.

What I would like is a 500’ lane and shoulder transition from the beginning of the alignment to the end station which would be the full lane width of 12’ travel way and 8’ shoulder and the beginning station will have a travel way width of 11’ and shoulder 4’ which is the existing.

I have tried using the lane transition assemblies but they don’t work to well and tried many options but was unable to get this to work.

Can someone create for me a screen cast how to accomplish this just show me just showing me the right side of the road. Once I know how to do one side I will be able to do the other side.

Thanks

Windows 10 Professional Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 3.41 GHZ
16 GB
64-bit Operating System x64-based processor
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2016 sp 4
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sboon
in reply to: fishautodesk124

Use offset alignments for this.  In this example I have one on each side, controlling the shoulder width.  Both of them start off with a default offset, then have a zero length transition inward, to match the existing pavement widths at the start of my corridor. 

Clipboard01.png

On the right side I have a fairly short length using existing width, then a transition highlighted in green to the design shoulder width.  On the left I have a longer section on the existing width, then a series of transitions to form a shoulder flare for roadside barriers, ending with the design width.

In your case I would use two offset alignments on each side to handle the lane and shoulder widths.  Before creating them make sure that your settings for transition around curves are appropriate.  If the number of segments is too small then your transitions will be jagged.

Clipboard03.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 4
fishautodesk124
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

Use offset alignments for this.  In this example I have one on each side, controlling the shoulder width.  Both of them start off with a default offset, then have a zero length transition inward, to match the existing pavement widths at the start of my corridor. 

Clipboard01.png

On the right side I have a fairly short length using existing width, then a transition highlighted in green to the design shoulder width.  On the left I have a longer section on the existing width, then a series of transitions to form a shoulder flare for roadside barriers, ending with the design width.

In your case I would use two offset alignments on each side to handle the lane and shoulder widths.  Before creating them make sure that your settings for transition around curves are appropriate.  If the number of segments is too small then your transitions will be jagged.

Clipboard03.png

Hello,

After trying your suggestions for a couple of hours I can't get it to work. I am ready to give up.

Can you please provide me a screen cast of how you do this.

Thanks

Windows 10 Professional Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 3.41 GHZ
16 GB
64-bit Operating System x64-based processor
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2016 sp 4
Message 4 of 4
sboon
in reply to: fishautodesk124

As requested.

I've attached the drawing I used, at the start and end of the video.  If you open the final version you will be able to add the left side alignments as offset targets in the corridor, and you can make changes to the offset alignments, taper lengths etc.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report