Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing XML from a dgn

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1068 Views, 7 Replies

Importing XML from a dgn

when i import an XML created from a DGN into my DWG and then import the line work from the DGN in to my DWG it is shifted. i have messed around with the drawing settings to make sure it wasn't a difference in the coordinate system and still have the same problem. does anybody have any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you able to determine if either the xml file or the dgn import is providing the correct coordinates?

The first step in troubleshooting would be to verify which of the 2 or either are correct & go from there.

If you have access to dgn, check the coordinates of a point & compare to your imported data, otherwise contact the party providing the dgn data & ask them to provide coordinates to a couple of points.

It may also have to do with a Units conflict between the files such as Us Foot vs. International Ft.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

i do not have access to the origonal DGN file, i do not beleve it is the diffrence in us foot to international foot because we have had that problem in the past with survey info and corrected it. our survey manger has the same problem but in reverse he exports from cad to a dgn but in diffrent drawings and diffrent states.

Message 4 of 8
Jay_B

For example when exporting to dgn, it's important to have the correct dgn seed file assigned as the units of the dgn created need to be assigned via dgn the seed file.

There can be many things in play & without specific details such as units of files etc. we can only guess here as to what problem may be.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8
Neilw_05

I've learned from working with Bentley Power Civil there is a defect when exporting files to XML. If the DGN file is set to Survey Feet units, the exported XML file does not have units of survey feet. It will instead have international feet for the units. This causes the data to be shifted when the XML file is imported into software that reads the units. The workaround is to open the XML file and change the units to Survey Feet. Then re-import.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

the XML just says Foot but where would you change it at in the xml, i did not create the xml file another company did.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

our survey manager opened it up in WordPad and changed "foot" to "USSurveyfoot" and I reimported, the coordinate system was correct after reimporting.

Thanks
Message 8 of 8
Neilw_05

Glad to know what it was. It is a very dangerous defect if someone isn't aware of it and designs a project in the wrong place because of it.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report