Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatching

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
ESchomberg
909 Views, 14 Replies

Hatching

Hey guys I know I have asked this before but...... I have been drawing and hatching mortgage surveys for a while with no problem. All a sudden last night the concrete Hatch kept telling me no closed boundary... If I tried to Hatch by picking objects it still sprayed my dots outside my linework. I even tried Dave's idea changing gap tolerance to 1 then 5 then 10... Still got the same error. I redrew everything and had the same problem.

I zoomed in and did not see any gaps in my lines. These are regular lines. I did use Laydel to get rid of the standard CAD layers I don't know if that could have anything to do with it?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: ESchomberg

Eric, can you post the drawing?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 15
ESchomberg

Yes tonight... I will have to redraw
Message 4 of 15
ESchomberg
in reply to: Jeff_M

OMG THIS IS soooo crazy....no matter what I do I can not get this to hatch. I am not doing anything different thatn what I have done before. I have to finish this drawing tonight can someone please help????

Message 5 of 15
ESchomberg
in reply to: Jeff_M

OMG THIS IS soooo crazy....no matter what I do I can not get this to hatch. I am not doing anything different thatn what I have done before. I have to finish this drawing tonight can someone please help????

Message 6 of 15
Pointdump

Erik,

OK, drawing is open. What do you want to hatch?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 15
ESchomberg

The concrete driveway and walks.. But it keeps telling me there is no closed boundary which is bs.
Message 8 of 15
ESchomberg
in reply to: Pointdump

DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN DAVE????.... I am working on another drawing using the template before I used LAYDEL to get rid of civil3d layers, and it is hatching fine......So I am left wondering that it must have something to do with deleting the standard layers.....

Message 9 of 15
Pointdump

Erik,

As you got, no closed boundary. Hatches can be a pain like that. So here I used "Select Objects" and picked the left and right side of the driveway.

Hatch1.png

Did you know that using Select Objects you can Hatch between two parallel lines with no closed ends? True fact.

OK, so for your drawing I'd make a special outline of the drive and walk areas, just for hatching.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 15
Pointdump

Erik,

Attached, Drive and Walkway are hatched.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 15
Pointdump

Erik,

"...wondering that it must have something to do with deleting the standard layers....."

Doubtful. But there's definitely something funky with the hatching in that particular drawing.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 12 of 15
Jay_B

@Pointdump wrote:

Erik,

"...wondering that it must have something to do with deleting the standard layers....."

Doubtful. But there's definitely something funky with the hatching in that particular drawing.

Dave

Hi Dave,

When all linework is isolated & selected with the Properties Palette open, differing Start Z / End Z Coordinates of the linework are revealed.

Once all linework is changed to a consistent Z Elevation, you can hatch any of the areas as expected.

hatch.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 13 of 15
Pointdump
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

Right you are. Even setting HPGAPTOL to 200 doesn't work in this instance. If all the lines to be used as a hatch boundary are selected and set to zero elevation, then hatching works as expected.

Erik may not want to change the elevations of his linework, so I think the best fix is to trace the concrete areas with a new polyline and use that as a hatch boundary.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 14 of 15
rl_jackson

And the Z value is the bain of hatch patterrns.......

@ESchomberg, for future reference, if you set OSNAPZ = 0 you'll have a lot less problems with hatching. Personally I think this should work regardless of the Z value of a line but unfortuately it does not at this time.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
ESchomberg
in reply to: Jay_B

You guys are the best. Many thanks. I am not using polylines just regular ones, but even though it is not a surface drawing the guys in the field assume 100' elevations. So when I create a manual cogo point along a line it assigns 0 elevation to that point, creating a conflict. I just selected all concrete lines and any lines butting up to my concrete, selected properties....set all Z elevations to 0 and it hatched beautifully. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report