Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Fill to Cut Subassembly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JoeR_FormerlyandCurrently
548 Views, 8 Replies

Force Fill to Cut Subassembly

Hello,

I have built a subassembly that determines fill and cut, and allows for targeting both horizontally and vertically.

My problem comes when I try to force the switch from fill to cut using a profile for vertical targeting.  Where it is already in cut it works fine, but it will not switch from a fill to a cut.

I am assuming (dangerous, i know) that it doesnt work because it cant see the point that is being used for targeting the profile.

Is my assumtion correct as to why its not working?

How do I get it to see the specified point?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe R.
Its only as close as the survey.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have built a subassembly that determines fill and cut, and allows for targeting both horizontally and vertically.

My problem comes when I try to force the switch from fill to cut using a profile for vertical targeting.  Where it is already in cut it works fine, but it will not switch from a fill to a cut.

I am assuming (dangerous, i know) that it doesnt work because it cant see the point that is being used for targeting the profile.

Is my assumtion correct as to why its not working?

How do I get it to see the specified point?

Thanks,

Joe

None of the points are set to target the profile.  What point(s) needs to target it?

Sketch out what you want it to look like in this condition and post the sketch.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Also, as a way of finding out what the values are for different points (during the design process), this might help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/sac-troubleshoot-a-point/m-p/4912136/highligh...

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 9

Hey doni,

I am using P35 as my Overrides/Targetable.  I have the point highlighted in the attachment.

I am not sure what you mean by "draw a sketch to show what i want it to look like in this condition".  If you move the surface in the preview below P4 it shows fill, which is what I want.  If you move it above P4 it switches to cut, which is also what I want.

When the assembly is pushed thru the corridor it functions and produces the appropriate fill and cut at proper locations.  But when I target a ditch profile, it only adjust what is already in a cut situation.  Since P35 isnt created in a fill situation, I assumed thats where my problem was and why i asked how to make it see the point.  As I'm typing this, I am realizing it cant see something that isnt there..... 

Maybe my question is how to put the point there first?

I applogize for not knowing how to ask the question(s) I have, and for not knowing the correct questions to ask.

I need to be able to force the fill situation to a cut when I target a ditch profile/offset.  What would be my most logical direction?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe R.
Message 5 of 9

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey doni,

I am using P35 as my Overrides/Targetable.  I have the point highlighted in the attachment.

I am not sure what you mean by "draw a sketch to show what i want it to look like in this condition". 

Here's an example of such a sketch -- it's completely made up just to serve as an example.  I might say something like the magenta line shows what I want it to do but the yellow line shows what it IS doing.  This kind of thing helps us visualize it better.  But now that you've given a specific point number to look at, I think I better understand the question.

@Anonymous wrote:

If you move the surface in the preview below P4 it shows fill, which is what I want.  If you move it above P4 it switches to cut, which is also what I want.

When the assembly is pushed thru the corridor it functions and produces the appropriate fill and cut at proper locations.  But when I target a ditch profile, it only adjust what is already in a cut situation.  Since P35 isnt created in a fill situation, I assumed thats where my problem was and why i asked how to make it see the point.  As I'm typing this, I am realizing it cant see something that isnt there..... 

Maybe my question is how to put the point there first?

There is no point in the fill condition side that uses the Ditch_Elevation profile for an elevation target.  Do you want to ALWAYS have a ditch or only when the Ditch_elevation profile is found?
@Anonymous wrote:

I applogize for not knowing how to ask the question(s) I have, and for not knowing the correct questions to ask.

I need to be able to force the fill situation to a cut when I target a ditch profile/offset.  What would be my most logical direction?

Thanks,

Joe

There is no need to apologize for not knowing -- that's the reason for asking for help.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 9
doni49

Try the attached SA and see if it helps.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 9
doni49

@doni49 wrote:
Here's an example of such a sketch -- it's completely made up just to serve as an example.  I might say something like the magenta line shows what I want it to do but the yellow line shows what it IS doing.  This kind of thing helps us visualize it better.  But now that you've given a specific point number to look at, I think I better understand the question.

Duh! I forgot to attach the example sketch. Here it is.

SAC Sketch Section.png

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 9

Thank you.  I just took a quick look and had a "duh, of course" moment when I saw the added decision on the fill side. 

Busy on deadlines for now, I will let you know after a better look.

Thanks again.

Joe

Joe R.
Message 9 of 9

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.  I just took a quick look and had a "duh, of course" moment when I saw the added decision on the fill side. 

Busy on deadlines for now, I will let you know after a better look.

Thanks again.

Joe

We all have those (as you can see above, that includes me).  🙂

Good luck.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report