Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Lowest Spill Over Point on Surface

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
652 Views, 5 Replies

Finding Lowest Spill Over Point on Surface

I have a ground surface that has a berm with irregular elevations and I am trying to find a quick method to find at which elevation and location will water begin to overflow the berm. I could do it by comparing the ground surface and a flat plane surface and using the "Minimum Distance Between Surface" and keep raising/lowering until I find it but there has to be a better more automatic way of doing this procedure.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Jaromir,

How about a quick profile of top-of-berm?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 6
Jeew-m

Dear Friend,

Is there a way to get the boundary of the berm. ? Or at least is it be drawn by polyline easily.

If so you can add the berm as the boundary of the surface.

Then Go to surface properties window and move on to statics tab.

Once you drop down the generals you will find the minimum elevation of the surface.

By displaying contours you may approximately find the location or with rigorous contours you would get the exact point.

However With some water drop analysis you would get the exact point.

Thanks

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6
TerryDotson

If you were to consider third party add-ons, DotSoft's C3DTools now contains an automated Spill Over determination tool.  Simply window off the area that should contain the low point you're interested in (this is needed because there could be multiple depressions on the surface).  It evaluates all TinSurface Vertices in the rectangle and shows you the low point found, you accept that or pick your own.  It then proceeds up the elevations (in the increment you specify) till it finds an open contour.  It then backs up to the last closed contour and inches it's way up at an interval of 0.01 till it finds the last closed contour (the brim).  Then it works it's way around the brim casting feelers to determine what directions slope down and marks those with semi-temporary markers.

All the contours (polyllnes) are bound into a "PolyContour Group" with a name.  That makes it easy for the "PolyContour Volumes" tool to use these groups to calculate stage volume by average contour area or TinVolumes, creating a stage storage table and an optional stage storage graph.

Message 5 of 6
autoMick

I don't think you need to over complicate it.

Just create a flat plane and interactively move it up and down and watch where the overflow point is.

As you can see, I've increased the vertical exaggeration of the surface to make things a bit easier.

Once you have identified the area of interest then make sure the triangulation in that location is indicative of the real terrain, then finally hover over the low point to get the elevation. You can see at the end of my video that I obviously didn't have a survey point right at the head of the small gully - so the overflow point identification will only be as good as the survey.

Cheers

Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 6 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: autoMick

Mick,

That's awesome!

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report