Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Property Sets for structures

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MHDCAD
398 Views, 8 Replies

Custom Property Sets for structures

I created a custom property set for structures so that I can enter information and then reference that on a schedule.  Twice now for some reason that property set just disapears.  All of the structures in my file have no property set applied.  When I reapply it, I have to go back and enter all the information again.  What could be causing this?

Right now I have my pipe network in its own file.  Then I data ref that pipe network into my design file. That is where I've created the property set and added the information to the structures.  And created the schedule.  I did it this way because when testing this process, if I created the property set in the pipe network file and then put the info on the structures in there, it didn't seem to pull that through to the design file and it wouldn't reference that information on the structure table I created in the design file. 

Should I be doing this a different way?  What could be causing the property set to disappear??

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: MHDCAD

I'm guessing here... but DREFs are visual only. Meaning, I can change the style, label it, but can't change its definition. If you're applying the PS to the DREF, I don't think it would work.

The PS should be in the source file of the pipe network. Then the PS should populate through the DREF; the question is why isn't this working for you... Now, I must test this theory myself... stay tuned.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 3 of 9
MHDCAD

I had that same thought.  I originally tired to apply the PS to the network but when I make a change to it, then sync the DREF it doesn't add the new information I added.  Not sure why. 

Message 4 of 9
rl_jackson

I use PDS's for CogoPoints, for structures like manholes and inlets to add field measurements for the invert etc. I can say it's a PITA to transfer the data from one drawing to another. There's no EASY BUTTON! But I've not lost data once entered into the properties, getting the handles to transfer over is just clunky.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Kevin.Spear

Based on some testing, it would seem your experience is not expected results. In fact, your original idea is how it works. For reference, here are my steps to duplicate issue:

- created a pipe network in a source dwg and created a data shortcut

- created a property set data table and attached to structure objects

- new dwg from ACAD.DWT and created data shortcut to pipe network

- selected structure and saw PS table in properties

https://youtu.be/rUcrDChluK8?si=N7pA6E_2GSbpBXMD

Side note, there is a system variable to auto attach PS tables to objects instead of manually attaching. Set AECPSDAUTOATTACH to ON. This way, any object created has the table AND if the PS definition changes, those changes auto update to objects.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 6 of 9
MHDCAD
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

Wow.  Thank you so much for such a detailed an helpful response!  I'm not sure where I went wrong on mine.  I basically did what you did.  Right now we're trying to push out some proejcts but I'll dive into this a little more after we're done with these.  

Thanks so much!!!

Message 7 of 9
cwr001
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

This would, in theory, be the correct approach and I'd love for it to work but unfortunately, Civil3d fumbled the ball and didn't correctly implement PSet-data for dref'd objects.

If you define Propertyset-data for an object in your host drawing, it does come through the first time the object is referenced. However, there is no live link, meaning once you change the values in your host drawing, the changes will not be carried through to your dref'd object. This renders the whole point of propertysetdata completely useless - it makes things worse, if anything.

There's an idea on the ideas-forum and I'd encourage everyone to vote to have this updated:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-ideas/mainitan-live-link-for-property-sets-in-referenced-obj... 

Message 8 of 9
MHDCAD
in reply to: cwr001

Oh interesting.  This makes sense with what I was having happen before.  This is why I started modifying my PS in the drawing I was referencing into rather than the original pipe network drawing.  Then, I think, what happened is I had some issues with the DREF and that wiped everything out. `````````````````````````

Message 9 of 9
Kevin.Spear

Related but not... The evolution of Property Set Data is the Standard Data Tool which takes PS and applies a schema to the objects and the data can be managed via excel. Its free! You can get it here... 

https://interoperability.autodesk.com/standardizeddatatoolc3d.php

Maybe this is a better option? Or not... Let us know!

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report