Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not establish reference to parent horizontal alignment

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Joe-Bouza
2532 Views, 9 Replies

Could not establish reference to parent horizontal alignment

Maybe my workflow is flawed but I thought I had done this before:

Drawing A has alignments and profile views

Drawing B has DS of alignments from A

User A is working on annotating profile views in drawing A. User B is working on design profiles in Drawing B, adds DS of design profile and everything looks correct in the DS node. But when we try to DS in the design profiles we get the message in the title. What is wrong with my work flow?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

I can confirm the same behavior.   Here is a snap shot of the profiles under the alignment list and the profiles in the profile view list.   It won't accept the proposed profile into the profile view even though it shows up on the list in the prospector.   I got the same error message as your post.

Message 3 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Since profiles are directly linked to alignments (in the tree) I try to keep them in the same drawing.  Are you doing so many changes to the alignments that you can't have the profiles being designed in them, then perhaps the annotation being done in a separate drawing using the DS?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I would do that if I were the only person working on the files, so to keep productive I had it done that way. The folder structure created by the Data Shortcut Manager kind of leads a user to believe this is possible, no? That is the OOTB structure. Plus I know ive done it before

dsfolders.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the confirmation, Dan. I know I have had success doing that in the past. What do these guys do that corridor miles of road, I'm sur more than one guy is working on profiles.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Joe, I do miles of corridor. I keep Alignments & Profiles together. I may have more than one dwg for alignments, however, if we've got two long intersecting roadways.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

The plot thickens.

instead of looping back to the original drawing i created a third drawing.    I no longer get the error message, but it will not let me put both profiles under the same referenced alingment.   It created a copy of the alignment with a (1) beside it.

I could howver super impose one profile onto the other, but that would be a rediculous workaround considering the profiles can just be kept in the same drawing.

I'd recommend revising the work flow possibly like this.

create the alignment and profile in a base drawing.   Then create a new drawing for the corridor and data ref the alignment and profiles into it.   this would allow one to work on the corridor and another to work on just profiles.

any new profiles created would be available once they were added as data references.

Message 8 of 10
LeafRiders

I would agree with Lisa in that the alignments and profiles should be kept within 1 drawing. And then add those features into your main design file for your Corridor design. I don't see how a team effort would be more productive with 1 person working on just the Alignments, a different person working on the profiles, and a 3rd working with the Corridor design, sounds like a mess to me.

Message 9 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: LeafRiders

I asked if my work flow was flawed and I thank you all for getting me right. Thanks

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
nostupidquestions

so, to butt into this thread, i've got a surface in one base drawing, i've got my alignment, profile & pipes in another base drawing. i've got cross sections & corridor in another drawing that the surface, alignment & profile are data ref'd into. now with my corridor i've created a ditch profile that i want to data ref back into my base drawing profile so i can adjust inverts on my pipes but i keep getting this error. how do i go about exporting this profile back to the base drawing? thanks.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report