Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D Hangs Seemingly Indefinitely

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
mlehmanK7G3Q
2883 Views, 21 Replies

Civil3D Hangs Seemingly Indefinitely

Hello,

This has been happening to me off and on for about a year, both in 2014 and now 2017. During a command, seemingly any command (it was LENGTHEN this morning), the program will just hang, becoming non-responsive. I generally wait 5-10 minutes to see if it resolves itself, which it almost never does, then I have to force quit and start up again. Sometimes the problem will repeat itself immediately, sometimes it will not.

I can't really find any rhyme or reason as to why this happens. The CPU is working very hard, but apparently not accomplishing anything. Memory usage also gradually creeps up.

CPU.PNG

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Working with large surfaces:

1. Use Data Shortcuts and References to work with surfaces.

2. Turn off contours, or use LEVELOFDETAIL.

3. Do not smooth contours.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 22 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Good tips. What we did was so to create 15 smaller surfaces across the campus, separated by roads (with roads also being separate surfaces.)

There are only 11481 points today ... it is a 117 acres site about 40% developed with more coming.

Design drawings are all separate with their own surface to keep the file sizes relatively small (at 30-45MB) and the master file was over 80MB before we split the project.

The hanging occurs, however, even in small jobs (under 8MB) and costs me at least 30 minutes a day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report