Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D users: Provide feedback on Project Mgmt/Collaboration Tools

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
charlene.portante
509 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3D users: Provide feedback on Project Mgmt/Collaboration Tools

Hello,

One of our teams is working on improving project management/collaboration tools for Civil 3D. Before they begin development, they'd like to understand your current awareness about the offerings and challenges that you face when using different solutions, as this would help them focus on solving the right problems. Please provide your feedback.

This survey takes 5-8 minutes to complete. We would really appreciate your response.

Thank you on behalf of the Autodesk Civil 3D product team

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I am not convinced that there are any meaningful tools in BIM360 / ACC specifically for Civil 3D users. I just can't help but think the "collaboration for civil 3d" is just another attempt at marketing a cloud platform that wasn't really designed for us. My architect and structural engineer friends like the BIM360 / ACC very much, but I think us Civil 3D are forgotten about. Hiding Dref behind the BIM collebrare pro license was an instant deal breaker for us. 

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Message 4 of 5
Cadguru42
in reply to: m_kingdon

@m_kingdon wrote:

I am not convinced that there are any meaningful tools in BIM360 / ACC specifically for Civil 3D users. I just can't help but think the "collaboration for civil 3d" is just another attempt at marketing a cloud platform that wasn't really designed for us. My architect and structural engineer friends like the BIM360 / ACC very much, but I think us Civil 3D are forgotten about. Hiding Dref behind the BIM collebrare pro license was an instant deal breaker for us. 

Bentley's ProjectWise handles Civil 3D projects better than anything Autodesk currently provides. Just a few weeks ago a client has a project that they're using ACC for. Even after updating to the latest v16 of Desktop Connector we had constant problems of files being processed forever, not sync'ing, etc. The client said they had issues with others using C3D/AutoCAD and we ended up just manually copying files at the end of the week. The other issue we had was the character limit in paths and file names with ACC. We couldn't place the C3D pipe catalogs in ACC because of that limit. 

Bottom line: Autodesk's cloud solutions just don't work for C3D projects.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 5

I completed the survey, but this post still confuses me.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the "Collaboration for Civil 3D" tools is the fact that you have added Data Shortcut functionality to the cloud?

What more feedback would you like?  Other than it works (I assume), the fact that it is placed behind the BIM Collaborate Pro paywall and the fact that I am frustrated regarding this.

Data Shortcuts are a routine and core feature of Civil 3D.  For example, I am currently working on a housing development.  My “Final Design” surface is in my model drawing and I Data Shortcut this model into my production drawings.  Under the ACC this use of Data Shortcuts would be considered as me collaborating.  But who am I collaborating with?  Myself?  Is Model Mike collaborating with production drawings Mike?  Am I performing the tasks of two separate entities?  No, I am not.  AutoDesk need to make the distinction between what is a collaboration and what is a standard workflow performed by a Civil 3D drafter.

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report