Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change elevation of surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
523 Views, 5 Replies

change elevation of surface

I know how to change the elevation of an entire surface, ie reduce z with 0,5 meters for all points, but I want to change the elevation a little in some areas and a bit more in some others. How do I do that?

Typically I have a surface for the ground level. I want to lower (copy) this surface to represent a soil layer. I have a number of soil sample points in which I have x,y,z for the bottom of the current soil layer. Between the samplepoints I want the soil layer to "follow" the ground level. Example: I have one point with 0,5 meters of sand and the next point (50 meters away) with 1 meters of sand. The two points are on the same ground level but between the two points the ground level varies a lot (±2 meters). A straight interpolation between the two points would have the bottom of the sand layer going over the ground surface.

You might say I want to "drape" the ground level on the sample points.

I hope you understand what I want to do?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm am not totally clear of your objective, but I can say that this sounds like a job for Feature Lines. These can be draped on a surface, adjusted as needed and then added to a surface as breaklines.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

Create a surface from your sampled xyz points- ensure that the depth is positive. You may need to add dummy points to extend outside the current surface

Createa volume surface with the sample points surface as base and current surface as comparison

Create a new surface and paste the volume surface in.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: neilyj666

This creates a dynamic differential TIN that more sample points can be added as required and the base of soil will dynamically update. It also follows the existing surface based on the sampled depths. It isnt perfect but it works pretty well in the majority of cases

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

That worked excellent. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

HTH...:)

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report