Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analyze/Area Command losses snaps (Civil 3d 2016)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nusouthsc
418 Views, 4 Replies

Analyze/Area Command losses snaps (Civil 3d 2016)

When using the analyze/area command I can snap to 3 points and then it will not recognize anymore snaps.

It will work fine when just clicking freehand with no snaps. So I end up turning off my snaps and zoom

in really close to the end of the line to get my area. Really annoying as I am a surveyor and deal with tons

of areas everyday. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Josh Ellis

Nu-South Surveying

Anderson, SC

using CV3D 2 years, still overwhelming:)

Josh Ellis
Nu-South Surveying
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nusouthsc

Hi,

>> When using the analyze/area command I can snap to 3 points and then it will not recognize anymore snaps.

I can't reproduce that issue. What version of Civil 3D do you have, what service pack do you have installed, and does that also happen in new drawings based on original AutoCAD templates?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
BrianHailey

You're snapping to 3D points. The area command can only calculate an area in a single plane. Change your OSNAPZ system variable to 1 when doing areas and change it back when done.

<edit>After watching the video, I realized I also had the Object Snap Tracking turned on which is why that last pick point didn't snap to the contour.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if Brian is correct (a good chance he is, great catch), I want to add one important info to his video:

One of my most used sentences during trainings: "AutoCAD is communicating with the user" ... and also within the _AREA command and the 4th point with different Z-value you get that communicated:

2015-06-14 08-54-26.png

That info describes why it's not taking the point.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
nusouthsc
in reply to: BrianHailey

Sorry for not responding faster. I didn't receive the emails.  That was the problem! Thank you sooooo much for your help. I had been dealing with that for 2 years! We draw a lot of subdivision plats and it was extremely frustrating. This forum has been a absolute life-saver. Thank you all for the help.

Josh Ellis

Nu-South Surveying

Anderson, SC

Josh Ellis
Nu-South Surveying

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report