Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding PI to alignment curves

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2170 Views, 10 Replies

Adding PI to alignment curves

I am running 2017 C3D.

I have a curb alignment in a culdesac that needs to have PIs added at the spots where the small circles are in the picture. The street is already designed so I would rather not delete and redraw the alignment. I know it can be done I just dont know how. Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
qnologi
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 11
tcorey

You're going to have a ton of editing if you try to add PIs along that curve.

Can you describe the task that has been assigned to you? Why do you want PIs at those points? Maybe there's another way. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

The company I work for has PIs added every 30 degrees to give an elevation to the contractor as per city requirements. These PIs are usually added to a polyline that we build the alignment with. I know I could just make an alignment label style based on the design profile but I'd like to figure out/learn how to modify a curve so that I can add PIs.

Message 5 of 11
wfberry

Yes, back in the last century, a protractor performed that very well.  Now a days there are much easier ways to run a series of FG points around that radius.  No sense offering any advice if you are adamant about P.I.s.  I am not sure what a P.I. would do for you.  Anyway, Tim and I are on the same wave length, I think.

Bill

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I am only adamant about using PIs since I have a label set that uses them and thats how the company I work for chooses to show the info. I am open to learning new things in cad but thanks anyways for the wise words in previous drafting techniques.

Message 7 of 11
MMcCall402

Maybe try this:

Edit the name of your current alignment.

Make a new alignment with all the needed PIs and give it the name of the original alignment.

Export this alignment as an XML and then delete it from the drawing.

Rename the original alignment back to it original name.

Now import the XML of the alignment and it should update the old alignment with the geometry of the new one.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 8 of 11
MMcCall402
in reply to: MMcCall402

Something else that might be of use:

You could add station equations at the circle locations.  No change in stationing, just use them to tag the locations for use in producing labels and such.  You can name each equation and use it in a label as well.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 9 of 11
kalaiala25175606
in reply to: qnologi

He wants to add a PI to a curve not a fixed line, I came here for the same problem still no solution.
Message 10 of 11
Neilw_05

What you really need are labels, not pi's. The contractor doesn't know or care how the labels are created.  There are several ways to create the labels. One is to use an alignment station label that has the profile elevation as reference text and apply at an interval that you need. You could also place spot labels, sta/offset labels, etc.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 11
Neilw_05

If you already have the alignment defined and in use, you can delete the curve and create new ones. You could use one of the curve from end of segment options, ending at the designated location, then append another, creating a series of compound curves. Your alignment with remain intact and corridors or whatever else it is used for will update accordingly.

Another option is to delete the curve and use the Convert Autocad line and arc tool. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report