Character Generator Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Character Generator Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Character Generator topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can the paid generated characters be used commercially?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
5459 Views, 10 Replies

How can the paid generated characters be used commercially?

Hi,

The Character Generator service seems quite promising!

In a situation where one has a subscription, and pays the 5 cloud credits, can the character models and textures created with this service be included as part of a game software being sold, if encoded in proprietary 3d format?

What limitations are there to the use of the generated characters, if they are paid for?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
verafx
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use the characters you generate commercially; whether it is for a game, a film, tv commercial, demo reel, student film, youtube video, etc. If you are acting as a subcontractor, you can provide the character data back to your client. The full details are contained in the Terms of Service, but essentially you can use them without restriction.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: verafx

Thank you for the information!

Message 4 of 11
stephaneJudo

Hello , 

We can thus also resell it in a third party format ? 

Example : iclone 5 format is .iavatar , and we can prohibit export from iclone 5 or not , it's the seller choice.

I have search info like this , but I always found "without restrictions" , what surprises me !

I hope my request is clear .

Stéphane 

Message 5 of 11
peaklevels
in reply to: verafx

Does the term, "Generate commercially" in context mean, That I can use the characters to make money?
and also what does the term etc, mean or cover.
Message 6 of 11
gaudres
in reply to: peaklevels

Hi,

The Character Generator Terms of Service are not intended to limit what a user can do with the output he or she creates using the service.   The output is the final character, not the DNA data file itself (which remains in the service and should not be used outside of the service). 

To resume, We don’t restrict what you can do (“commercially” or otherwise) with the characters you create, as long as you do not redistribute the DNA data file. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Best regards

Sophie

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

I read the reply, but I am still unsure what you mean by the statement of the DNA file, I can use the final character I download, mesh, textures (even if edited by me, or not), skeleton bones, and any morphs included, package the characters with this data in my own files and either freely re-share them, or use a payment link to resell the entire generated character for profit? 

I am not meaning using "commercially for money", I am referring to getting directly paid by PayPal in whole, when I re-package and resell the entire character I downloaded, and for that matter to even freely re-share in whole the complete character files over the internet?

I understand they are free to re-use in the capacity of films, video, video game and the like, where this data can not be freely re-accessed, but I am referring to getting paid to include the entire generated character with all mesh, texture and bones, package it in my own files and deliver it to someone else and receive a monetary payment through PayPal?  Yes or No?

Is it also permitted by Autodesk to use re-targeting software and change the original file format of the original downloaded generated characters, to then resell the entire character for profit through PayPal or by free re-share spreading over the internet?  It would then not be Autodesks DNA data files, but new data created by the re-targeting software used, is this permitted? Yes or No?

I would like to get expressed confirmation, or permission to do so if the answer to any of the above questions is, Yes it is permitted by Autodesk, because by the previous reply, it seems doing it that way would be against the TOS, by reselling, or even freely re-sharing any/all the DNA file data included in the generated file downloaded by me as the creator.

Please clarify if I am correct, or if including all the mesh, textures (even if edited by me differently), and skeleton bones, or morph targets would be considered wrongful redistribution re-use for re-sale, or even to spread as a free download over the internet.

Thank You

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hmm, what is all this about, I am looking for a direct answer to my question from Autodesk to clarify and officially determine it.

All that doesn't look like it was done properly, I am fairly sure you can not resell Autodesk Motion Builder animations, included with the program though without the proper expressed permissions from Autodesk also.

I may need to start a new thread, maybe this one was closed, or too old.

Thank You

Message 9 of 11
bsarachan
in reply to: gaudres

I realize this is an old thread, but is very relevant to a current question that I have.

I am working on an asset for the Unity game engine, to be sold in the Unity Asset Store.  The asset has to do with scripts and animations for controlling human characters.  Can I provide output models from Character Generator along with this asset that I will sell?  To be functional, the character models would be included.  I assume the "DNA data file" would not be included if it is only within the Character Generator server and does not get downloaded.

A response from Autodesk would be much appreciated, so that I can know whether this is allowable.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
eldarperi32
in reply to: bsarachan

Hi, just to make it clear, if I pay for Generated characters, I can sell the exported characters for games creators? 

Message 11 of 11
Hherschellson

Hello , 

We can thus also resell it in a third party format ? 

Example : iclone 5 format is .iavatar , and we can prohibit export from iclone 5 or not , it's the seller choice.

I have search info like this , but I always found "without restrictions" , what surprises me !

I hope my request is clear .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report