Character Generator Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Character Generator Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Character Generator topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Characters and content generated under the free category

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
SaxonRah
5196 Views, 12 Replies

Characters and content generated under the free category

So I've made some models and when generated they abide by the free options of the character generator. I've tried to make sense of the ToS but I'm not a lawyer. Heck I'm not even an artist which is why this tool looks so good to me.
I did see someone post that you could use the paid versions using the cloud credits in a game, but can i use the generated characters / content i.e. the generated fbx file, textures, and skeleton in a commercial application(Game) royalty free ?

Also, if we can use them. Can we edit the mesh, skeleton, and textures and then use them ?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
luc.vovan
in reply to: SaxonRah

I believe you have no restriction on them too.  Let me ask Henry to come and answer you directly in this thread!

Cheers!

Luc

Message 3 of 13
herbsanborn7782
in reply to: luc.vovan

The free ver is great for a quick mesh that I can edit and make my own character. I pop it into maya bump up poly count if need. Then Add IK / FK switches + inverse feet and controllers. Also stoping on the way to organise the hypergraph, and what have you. The general thing you want to remember when useing something that is not yours, keep in mind it is not yours. I don't think the characters have any watermarks in the textures. However I would not pop out a character in the software and slap a copyright symbol on it 😉 If you truly wish to make characters in maya that are 100% yours. Do your home work, Autodesk sells books videos + not to mention youtube and gnomon workshops... All that stuff is out there

PS. half the fun of making 3d characters is the grunt work 😛

Message 4 of 13
luc.vovan
in reply to: herbsanborn7782

I do believe you can do whatever you want with it, you can put it in a game, portfolio, if you're a sub-contractor you can push it up to your employer. The only thing I believe you can't do is, put in an asset store and resell it (such as turbosquid). Cheers!
Message 5 of 13
SaxonRah
in reply to: luc.vovan

AWESOME !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH AUTODESK

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Could someone from Autodesk verify whether models generated using free account could be edited and/or used commercially i.e. game that may end up being profitable?

Message 7 of 13
verafx
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, you can use the free versions to create a commercial game, video, film, etc.  When it becomes profitable, please come-back and generate higher-res models of your character designs Smiley Happy

We wish you much success with your project.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: verafx

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Message 9 of 13
howardlee306
in reply to: Anonymous

So it's ok to use a generated character within a project.

1. Is it ok to sell the generated character as is?

2. Is it ok to sell the character after rigging to a custom skeleton?

3. Is it ok to sell the character after rigging to a custom skeleton, modifying the textures, and modifying the mesh?

Example, I use Character Generator to make the base mesh for a soldier, then edit the colors of the uniform and add a helmet and some accessories. Can I sell the character after that?

I can make characters on my own but this would save oodles of time if I had a low poly base mash to start with.

Message 10 of 13

Yes, at this point in time usage of generated characters are unrestricted including the ability to sell them.

Message 11 of 13

Hello, Autodesk Team:

With regards to the previous reply from you, I have an additional question:

1. Can I retopologize the character generator's mesh altering it to adhere to daz3d genesis 8 free 3D female model so I can place it in their marketplace site?

2. Can I replace the textures exported with character generator's model with an 4k or 8k albedo, AO, bump, etc. maps?

3. Would you be interested in seeing what I can come up with (ie. new alien creatures both female and male) so I can share with Autodesk character generator's community?

Please advice.  You can email me at: if you wish as well. Thanks.

@eliud.gonzales - this post is being edited to remove PII.

Message 12 of 13
petrthomas.87

Yes, the use of produced characters is now unfettered, including the ability to sell them.

Message 13 of 13
molehat390

its cool

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report