Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LMA calculation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mahesh-t
667 Views, 7 Replies

LMA calculation

Hi, What is the formula used by the software for LMA calculation? Regards, Mahesh
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: mahesh-t

As far as I know, it is an industry standard. If you Google 'local mean age' you should find a ton of articles on it, like this.

Message 3 of 8
mahesh-t

Hi Jon, Thank you for the link given. Please help me to relate LMA with Air change per hour(ACH). How to calculate ACH from LMA. Please give some reference if available. Regards, Mahesh
Message 4 of 8
Amal.C

Hi @mahesh-t,

Please take a look at the article How to calculate the number of air changes in a room and let us know if you have questions or further concerns.

Thanks,

Amal

Amal Cheikh rouhou
Message 5 of 8
Amal.C

Hi @mahesh-t,

I wanted to check if the article I shared with you helped answer your question.

Please let us know if you still need help!

Thanks,

Amal

Amal Cheikh rouhou
Message 6 of 8
mahesh-t

Sorry for late reply Thank you for giving the article. Please help for the following also 1. As per my knowledge LMA is the time needed for air to travel from air inlet area to the specific location. How residence time differs from this. 2. How to calculate Air change per hour (ACH) from residence time. 3. I calculated the residence time from traces by selecting points, and I compared the LMA at that point with residence time. The observations were a. At some points LMA was greater than residence time. b. At some points residence time was greater than LMA. c. Some points both were almost same. So how can I relate LMA with residence time. 4. When I selected traces at some points it was not showing from inlet to outlet. Please help Regards, Mahesh
Message 7 of 8
marco.mueller

You are right with the LMA defintion.

I dont think that there is an easy concept to get ACH out of LMA. By the way ACH is a very rough / old concept that gives you just a global idea. LMA is much better suited for local predictions of the flow exchange.

Maybe translating LMA to ACH is a bit as if you were asking for the chemical elements representation in the old classical element idea (earth, water, air, fire)... it just doesnt work well.

If you want to know how long a fluid particle travels from a certain location to the outlet, you can utilize the residence time of massed particles (which are solely calculated forwards). The mass density /particle size should be as low as possible.

Marco

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 8 of 8
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: marco.mueller

Awesome analogy, I wish there was a 'double kudos' button 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report